Author Topic: What are you most happy to have in your collection?  (Read 1028 times)

What are you most happy to have in your collection?
« on: May 13, 2018, 01:04:25 pm »
What has the most sentimental value? What do you play the most? What are you just happiest to own?

If you could only keep a handful of items what would they be?

Re: What are you most happy to have in your collection?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:31:48 pm »
1. My Dreamcast Collection: The Dreamcast is my favorite console of all time and is the most nostalgic for me as well. I've obtained nearly every game I've ever wanted for it at one point or another and it gives me so much satisfaction that I'm at the point with it that there is very little else that I would want to add to it to make it better.

2. My original Nintendo 64: Very, very few games or consoles that I originally owned as a kid made it with me into adulthood since I, like many others, sold off most of what I owned as a kid to pay for other stuff I wanted at the time. One of the few items that I never sold off though was my original N64 console I got for Xmas in 1996 which I still have and it still works great. While it isn't the original box it game in, I was able to track down the same style of box I received it in and it sits proudly on a shelf in my game room now.

3. Retro Gamepro, Nintendo Power, and Dreamcast mags: I have a complete Gamepro magazine set from 1995 until 2003 and a nearly complete Nintendo Power set from 1996 until 2002. I have every issue of the official North American Dreamcast Magazine as well, including the super rare issue 0. This is the period of gaming which was by far the most memorable, innovative and enjoyable imo. I get more nostalgia out of flipping through these than I do playing most retro games. It's so much fun and so enjoyable reading about retro games as they were new as well as all the ads and articles that really encapsulate the time period those issues came out. I'd really like to complete the NP set up to about 2005 and also get Game Informers from about 1995 to 2000 as well.

4. An actual game from my childhood rental store: This was a relatively recent inclusion to my collection, but for years I had always wanted to find anything that was rented out from the video rental store I went to growing up called Famous Video. Since I began collecting I never once came across anything from this store until a few month ago when I found a complete copy of Soldier of Fortune for the Sega Genesis with stickers on both the cartridge and the manual for Famous Video. What made finding this even more special was the fact that I primarily rented Sega Genesis games from them growing up and while I never rented Solder of Fortune from them, I probably looked at it and even picked it up countless times. It means a lot to me to have something that personal and that unique from my past in my collection.

5. My (almost) complete Namco Guncon Big Box collection: I have every North America released Namco Guncon big box game for the PS2, almost every guncon big box for the PS1 (missing Point Blank 3), and I need Time Crisis 4 for the PS3. I think this is a super cool, interesting sub collection to have and it seems to be one of the things that other collectors seem to like the most when they see my collection. I'm a huge arcade lightgun game fan as well so it's cool to have almost all these.

pizzasafari

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 02:02:22 pm »
The most monetarily valuable thing I own is Panzer Dragoon Saga, I got it in very good condition for about £180 in an ebay auction, that made me very happy. The condition's deteriorated a little bit since I got it but it's still pretty decent nick.

In terms of games my favourite thing I own though is probably a big limited edition box of PS1 Final Fantasy VIII on I stumbled across on ebay one day, I know next to nothing about it and there isn't much info on the internet about it but FF8 is my baby so I'm very happy having it around.

If we're counting non-games, it's still related to FF8, this thing. I don't know how many there are but there are few enough for them to have serial numbers. Nice. Mine is #361. I've got the box for it too. I also have a limited edition FF8 vinyl soundtrack with a serial number but since it was released under Square Enix rather than OG Square it feels less valuable to me.

I'm also pretty fond of my SUPERBEAT XONiC big box limited edition, just something about the edition that I find interesting. And naturally my Persona 5 premium edition, but I'm not sure how monetarily valuable that'll end up yet. And my various other big box limited editions. If you can't tell I love big box limited editions.

Edit: Wait no tell a lie, I just decided those by looking at my shelves, I totally forgot about my House in Fata Morgana artbook. Having that makes me a very very happy boi. It's not particularly valuable money-wise but it's the thing I'm happiest to own.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:46:49 pm by pizzasafari »

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 03:21:44 pm »
CIB version of the original Legend of Zelda on NES.  The game itself holds some emotional weight for me, so it's nice to have a proper complete version of it to display on my shelf, even when I slimmed down my collection.  I don't own too many games right now, but I'll forever have this.

kashell

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 03:53:59 pm »
I'm happy with everything I have. But, there are a few things that stand out. Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, SaGa Frontier, and some other select titles really make my collection my collection.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 06:00:59 pm »
my favorite item in my collection is probably my Dreamcast Kiosk or Neon Xbox 360 sign. Then it gets tricky picking the games.
1.Wacky Races nes
2.Pocky & Rocky 2 snes
3.Shining Force 3 Saturn

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 06:45:12 pm »
A wife.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 08:18:06 pm »
A PlayStation 3 super slim. It is my most used item in my collection but mainly for ripping and playing music CD's and it's online Youtube app. and I love my Atari Anthology and Activision Anthology for my PlayStation 2 and my sports games.

And definitely my collection of The Sims Series, and also my N64 collection even though the games I have are kinda hard to play.

In short I have no regrets for anything I own except maybe 2 PS2 slims that won't stop spinning the disc when I shut it off or open the tray. If you put your finger on the PS2 game to stop it from spinning you instantly and severely  scratch the game to the point it may never work again.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:19:38 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

soera

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 11:06:20 pm »
The collection itself.

ffxik

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 11:20:09 pm »
It would have to be the Atari 2600.  It belonged to my best friends father.  He's still alive, and in good health, this isn't one of those stories.   When I was a lot younger my friend and I would sit and play that thing for hours.  His dad on the other hand would thrash us for hours at most of the games.  It was just good times and great memories.  So when he gave if to his youngest son and he in turn joined the Air Force I received it from him.  So now I thrash my kids at the games.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 10:53:28 am »
My NES collection.  I know it's not just one item, but the time I had amassing it cannot be replaced.  It's the product of a decade and a half of actively searching for games in flea markets, junk stores, pawn shops, yard sales, and game stores.  I met a lot of really interesting people on that trip and made a few friends.  I love it and I'll never get rid of it. 

If I had to pick one thing, probably my PlayChoice-10.  I plan on being buried in that thing.