Author Topic: Storage failure.  (Read 2393 times)

ffxik

Storage failure.
« on: May 14, 2018, 12:16:15 am »
I guess this could happen to anybody.  The house has been tight as far as room goes so a few years ago. I put my video games and consoles in a pre-fabricated shed outside to free up some space, and I wasn't playing them anyway.  Fast forward to earlier this week when I am sorting and rearranging the storage shed and our utility shed.  My son got underfoot and as I was falling I reached out and slammed my hand into my original Xbox.  I didn't hit it hard enough to damage it but it was sticky and felt as if it had a thick coat of mud on it.

Upon inspection I realized it wasn't quite mud but that shed had become home to several large colonies of mice.  At that instant I realized I had a handful of mouse excrement.  So now I have to clean them all thoroughly and I figured I would take you all on that ride.  I got pictures of the Playstation and PSOne.  I had already cleaned the Xbox when I thought of this.  They are in various states as far as filth goes.  I'm hoping to catalog before and after shots just for the sake of it. 

What follows is marked D for disgusting.  Viewer discretion is advised.

Before

After

Before

After

Re: Storage failure.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 02:03:33 am »
God I'm sorry man, that's nasty.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 03:41:59 am »
I once saw a video of a Youtuber named Larry Bundy I think. He also had a lot of his collection in a shed and almost his entire collection was ruined by water damage because the shed had sprung a leak in it's roof.

Storing them in an outdoor shed is not a good idea. Out there ,your collection is exposed to heat and cold and moist air depending on where in the world you live in.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of your CD's or DVD' or even Blurays are no longer in working condition. Sorry this happen to you.

I guess you probably don't have anywhere else to store these games

but It would be better for you to store your collectibles in a heated or  at least environment or somewhere in your home but never a garden shed again. :(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:47:18 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ffxik

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 10:22:12 am »
I once saw a video of a Youtuber named Larry Bundy I think. He also had a lot of his collection in a shed and almost his entire collection was ruined by water damage because the shed had sprung a leak in it's roof.

Storing them in an outdoor shed is not a good idea. Out there ,your collection is exposed to heat and cold and moist air depending on where in the world you live in.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of your CD's or DVD' or even Blurays are no longer in working condition. Sorry this happen to you.

I guess you probably don't have anywhere else to store these games

but It would be better for you to store your collectibles in a heated or  at least environment or somewhere in your home but never a garden shed again. :(

Yeah I knew the risks when I did it.  In the small town I live in we have little options for storage.  I do have a a few business units that you can rent, but they're not climate controlled.  I had some friends store their things in them and every time I have had to help them we had to battle rats and roaches.  People don't care about the condition of the things in those units.  Most of the time they will pile them full of infested junk and let the lease run out so they can wash their hands of it.  That's what put one of the facilities out of business.

I just wasn't figuring on it being this bad since I wasn't figuring on being invaded by mice.  There's nothing in that shed to attract them other than the fact it's shelter.  The games were in sterilite containers that were sealed.  They were taken to my brother's house a while back.  Since he's four towns over we just haven't got around to shipping the rest off.  I would love to keep them in the house but space ain't having it.  That's why they're going to my brother. 

God I'm sorry man, that's nasty.

It doesn't get much better the farther in I go.  So far nothing irreparably damaged though.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 10:52:50 am »

Yeah I knew the risks when I did it.  In the small town I live in we have little options for storage.  I do have a a few business units that you can rent, but they're not climate controlled.  I had some friends store their things in them and every time I have had to help them we had to battle rats and roaches.  People don't care about the condition of the things in those units.  Most of the time they will pile them full of infested junk and let the lease run out so they can wash their hands of it.  That's what put one of the facilities out of business.

I just wasn't figuring on it being this bad since I wasn't figuring on being invaded by mice.  There's nothing in that shed to attract them other than the fact it's shelter.  The games were in sterilite containers that were sealed.  They were taken to my brother's house a while back.  Since he's four towns over we just haven't got around to shipping the rest off.  I would love to keep them in the house but space ain't having it.  That's why they're going to my brother. 
Mice like to nest in boxes I am sure of. Because they can make a fortified nest in them for
having baby mice and rats too. I used to get mice in my garage a lot because there is a junk car in there and it is separate from my house. but right now there is 2 cats living in my abandon garage.

Don't be surprised to find pink hairless baby mice around because it looks as though they are nesting in your shed at the moment. But you should be able to get Dcon from the local hardware store I hope

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:55:11 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:54:46 am »
Gross

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 02:27:07 pm »
Ouch, so sorry about this, man. I really need to get some more plastic bins to keep my dupes in. Not enough shelf space to display everything, but I want to avoid bugs and water and whatever getting to them when I'm not actively looking at them.

Best of luck with the cleanup efforts, and wear a mask when you can while cleaning!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

topspot123

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 06:11:02 pm »

The games were in sterilite containers that were sealed. 

Damn that sucks.  So, do I understand that the mice chewed through the plastic?  Or did the lids dislodge?  I mostly use Sterilite containers too (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfMzOcwLt8A), but fortunately, the vast majority are stored in the house with just a few in the attached garage.  Great job on the clean up too!

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 09:01:09 pm »

The games were in sterilite containers that were sealed. 

Damn that sucks.  So, do I understand that the mice chewed through the plastic?  Or did the lids dislodge?  I mostly use Sterilite containers too (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfMzOcwLt8A), but fortunately, the vast majority are stored in the house with just a few in the attached garage.  Great job on the clean up too!

The games were.  I didn't want to take the risk of water and what not so I put them in said containers and gorilla taped them shut.  The hardware was another story.  I had plans on doing the same with them, never got around to it.  They were in cardboard boxes.  It's a mess and I think I may have my first casualty my MK-80000 Saturn.  Both the Mk-80000a and 80000 had nests built in them.  The latter is the worst I have seen so far.

topspot123

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 11:16:53 pm »

The games were.  I didn't want to take the risk of water and what not so I put them in said containers and gorilla taped them shut.  The hardware was another story.  I had plans on doing the same with them, never got around to it.  They were in cardboard boxes.  It's a mess and I think I may have my first casualty my MK-80000 Saturn.  Both the Mk-80000a and 80000 had nests built in them.  The latter is the worst I have seen so far.

Oh, I got it.  Sorry I missed that. 

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 11:21:10 pm »

Oh, I got it.  Sorry I missed that.

No need to apologize it was a good question, I didn't specify.   :D

ffxik

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 12:42:35 am »
Day 2

I'll start off light.  My Turbo Duo managed to escape most of the filth.  Looks alright, still cleaned it thoroughly.

The Turbo Grafx also saw it's share.

The Dreamcast wasn't so lucky.  It took quite a bit and was so nasty that the cd lid wouldn't close properly.  Just to clarify the yellowing isn't because of this incident.  It's been like that since I got it.

The two Saturns on the other hand have it the worst thus far.  Completely covered in filth and one actually had a nest under the lid

kashell

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 08:10:39 am »
Those poor Saturns. ;.;

Keep on scrubbin'!

soera

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 09:28:15 am »
Im gonna do you a solid. I will store that TG Duo and the better one of those Saturns here at my house for you. Also if you happen to have all the cords and a controller for each, I would be willing to store those here too. You're welcome.

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 10:36:48 am »
A Word of Warning here: if you start to experience any cold/flu like symptoms during this cleanup, please go IMMEDATELY to an ER. Contact with old mouse droppings can cause HPS (hantavirus pulmonary syndrome), which has a 50% mortality rate- and it can only take a few days to take you out. Try not to die for the sake of an old console, OK? Good luck in the cleanup!