Author Topic: Isn't video game collecting kinda just hoarding?  (Read 3686 times)

shfan

Re: Isn't video game collecting kinda just hoarding?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 12:28:49 pm »
Nope.

As my grandfather used to say, there's a difference between shitting and tearing your arse out.

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 11:45:33 am »
I'm a collector, but also consider myself a minimalist. I'm probably a peculiar person in general, but my games collection is a space as others have said for me to curate a collection of physical things I feel represent my passion. They are clean and ordered, and all are intentional. Moreover, the things don't define me. Having things doesn't make me a collector, but bringing myself to my things make them my collection. A semantic distinction, but an important one.

Also, as a researcher and doctor of psychology, we can all rest assured we are not horders...

EDIT: Took out a comment I didn't feel was becoming of my character
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:57:22 am by dharmajones93 »

tripredacus

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 12:13:26 pm »
I am a (mostly) organized hoarder.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 10:22:25 am »
I just moved all of my shit.  I had what addicts call "a moment of clarity"
It's a slippery slope.  Collecting can turn into hoarding real easy.  I have something like 10 NESs and 7 SNESs.  I bought up tons of stuff and now it's taking up lots of space.  It's time to purge.  I have to thin the herd.

I have to stop buying stuff just for the sake of buying stuff.  It's fun to buy stuff, but no more.  It's time to stop.

sworddude

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 11:35:28 am »
It's a slippery slope.  Collecting can turn into hoarding real easy.  I have something like 10 NESs and 7 SNESs.  I bought up tons of stuff and now it's taking up lots of space.  It's time to purge.  I have to thin the herd.

I have to stop buying stuff just for the sake of buying stuff.  It's fun to buy stuff, but no more.  It's time to stop.

If your going to thin out of stuff i'd recomment to sell in lots It's fast and with lose sales you might not even get more money since not to many people are looking for filler titles unless you selling desirable titles that is but I'm pretty sure those will be the keepers.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 11:46:49 am »

If your going to thin out of stuff i'd recomment to sell in lots It's fast and with lose sales you might not even get more money since not to many people are looking for filler titles unless you selling desirable titles that is but I'm pretty sure those will be the keepers.

I go to a couple conventions a year.  I may unload some stuff there, or I may just box it up and stop buying.  I don't know.  I may list a bunch of stuff here.  It's not as much the games I'm looking to get rid of.  It's the controllers and boxed systems that take up so much room.

sworddude

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 12:00:22 pm »

I go to a couple conventions a year.  I may unload some stuff there, or I may just box it up and stop buying.  I don't know.  I may list a bunch of stuff here.  It's not as much the games I'm looking to get rid of.  It's the controllers and boxed systems that take up so much room.

For boxed Nintendo sega systems I agree selling them seperately will be the way to go or maybe at a con but online is your best and most easy bet not to hard to get rid off. If you want to make some space they will probably be gone before you go to a con

As far as filler titles go

It's true that on cons you will sell some stuff but than you have less interesting stuff for people to buy it all at ones in lots not to mention how many would be sold with that effort.

If you want to get rid of filler materials wich does not apply to sports titles only plenty of filler materials keep it together make a big lot auction it off on ebay or let people bid on other 2nd hand sites and see if the price is high enough for you, lose sales with these kind of things will not work to greatly. you can expect maybe 1 to a few $ each depending on the games for wich consoles. Quite a decent amount with big lots. obviously you'll make these lots per consoles not multiple games of different consoles at once.

I've had many filler titles from sets big lots is the way to go to get rid of them pretty fast and get a decent amount since the bundles are big since otherwise you will be stuck with them forever like most resellers who actually try to put the effort into it and sell them for 3 - 10 $ each wich will never get rid of them. only desirable titles or fun titles can be sold lose It's just how it works.

Only For older nintendo systems if cib in excellent shape only than you can sell them cheaper titles lose. You could also take stores for example they have the most customers that buy these filler or cheap non sports filler titles and even than it will still sit on their shelves for potentially years. If a store can't move them most likely the regular joe will have even less of a chance.

Take a list of each console you want to sell bundle it up and auction it off or list it on a site as whole set, Plenty of people who collect everything and you'll be done. Were not talking about quality stuff here your not missing to much cash if you would have the best case scenario that we would live in a magic world that people would actually pay lose prices fast for filler titles.

Take ebay values with a grain of salt for filler titles since many listing are on there and if some filler titles get sold they have sat on their probably forever since the competition is fierce and not many people would buy them. be happy with just a few $ at best in lots.

If you also want to get rid of some pricy stuff than yes list them seperately but don't be to picky for filler titles or cheap even excellent playable common games to try and sell them seperately lots is the only way to go if you want to get rid of filler and cheap good materials. you will probably make more than selling them lose since most likely not to many items will be bought seperately. Your audience are people who collect everything and try to get them as cheap as possible so naturally they are very hard sales more impulse buys.

Just some pieces of advice if you want to get rid of filler materials It's the best way. In total you will gain the most cash and it will be gone in one swoop.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:28:51 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 04:43:15 pm »

For boxed Nintendo sega systems I agree selling them seperately will be the way to go or maybe at a con but online is your best and most easy bet not to hard to get rid off. If you want to make some space they will probably be gone before you go to a con

As far as filler titles go

It's true that on cons you will sell some stuff but than you have less interesting stuff for people to buy it all at ones in lots not to mention how many would be sold with that effort.

If you want to get rid of filler materials wich does not apply to sports titles only plenty of filler materials keep it together make a big lot auction it off on ebay or let people bid on other 2nd hand sites and see if the price is high enough for you, lose sales with these kind of things will not work to greatly. you can expect maybe 1 to a few $ each depending on the games for wich consoles. Quite a decent amount with big lots. obviously you'll make these lots per consoles not multiple games of different consoles at once.

I've had many filler titles from sets big lots is the way to go to get rid of them pretty fast and get a decent amount since the bundles are big since otherwise you will be stuck with them forever like most resellers who actually try to put the effort into it and sell them for 3 - 10 $ each wich will never get rid of them. only desirable titles or fun titles can be sold lose It's just how it works.

Only For older nintendo systems if cib in excellent shape only than you can sell them cheaper titles lose. You could also take stores for example they have the most customers that buy these filler or cheap non sports filler titles and even than it will still sit on their shelves for potentially years. If a store can't move them most likely the regular joe will have even less of a chance.

Take a list of each console you want to sell bundle it up and auction it off or list it on a site as whole set, Plenty of people who collect everything and you'll be done. Were not talking about quality stuff here your not missing to much cash if you would have the best case scenario that we would live in a magic world that people would actually pay lose prices fast for filler titles.

Take ebay values with a grain of salt for filler titles since many listing are on there and if some filler titles get sold they have sat on their probably forever since the competition is fierce and not many people would buy them. be happy with just a few $ at best in lots.

If you also want to get rid of some pricy stuff than yes list them seperately but don't be to picky for filler titles or cheap even excellent playable common games to try and sell them seperately lots is the only way to go if you want to get rid of filler and cheap good materials. you will probably make more than selling them lose since most likely not to many items will be bought seperately. Your audience are people who collect everything and try to get them as cheap as possible so naturally they are very hard sales more impulse buys.

Just some pieces of advice if you want to get rid of filler materials It's the best way. In total you will gain the most cash and it will be gone in one swoop.
[/size]

I appreciate the input.  I'm not selling my whole collection, just some outliers.  It's not going to be that hard to list systems and common stuff on facebook yardsales. 

Flashback2012

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 08:50:26 am »
Im definitely not a horder.
That’s exactly what a hoarder would say.

Nonsense like this response has no place here. IDGAF about your minimalist living or however you go about your life but you'd have to be blind to not realize that the bulk of people here have decently-sized collections ranging from a few hundred to a couple thousand or more. Your thinly-veiled attempt at asking a supposedly innocent question to collectors on a collector's site about it being akin to hoarding is about as subtle as a brick to the face. Take your pseudo-grandstanding elsewhere.

I have to question why exactly you joined a forum for a hobby you dislike, and are using that to insult and look down upon the people who take part in it. Like what's your deal dude 

Again-like people have told you ten times in this thread-if it's neat it isn't hoarding. Get off your high horse

This in a nutshell. Some of the threads you've started definitely have a poking/prodding feel to them and it'd be nice if you'd dial it down so they didn't come across as condescending.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:01:48 am by Flashback2012 »