Author Topic: Restore, MODernize, or leave as is  (Read 1692 times)

Restore, MODernize, or leave as is
« on: July 08, 2018, 09:17:27 am »
A question for you Carter's out there, when you come across old systems and cartridges do you like to restore them to their original conditions when they were brand new do you leave them as is for their historical value or do you try to modernize the system for better gameplay or Aesthetics?
Example: you come across an old Sega Game Gear, it works but there is noticable spotting in the screen and the face of it is scuffed up. Do you leave it as is, or repair it? If you repair it do you go with a LCD screen from the SGG era or a newer led display that's compatible with the system?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Restore, MODernize, or leave as is
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 12:40:51 pm »
I just buy it, and play it. The only modernizing I do is try to get it up to HDMI, or Component if possible. But I don't mod the console to do so. I just get the appropriate wires/adapters, or a Retron 5. And if I can't, then I still have my Sony CRT TV.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 12:46:15 pm by burningdoom »

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 01:25:33 pm »
I clean everything as best I can. I try to get the best video connection from consoles possible such as component or HDMI since my setup is a digital TV set. Sometimes I'll mod a system to get the best out of it like my PC Engine which has an expansion card that allows for better video outputs and a region mod to play Turbo Grafx 16 games. I also modded my Intellivision to have composite video, Atari 2600 game changer support and detachable controllers but really most systems are fine as-is. I was going to update my NES but the Retro USB AVS games out and satiated my desire to be able to play NES games in HD.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 01:35:55 pm »
I always try to clean them up; remove stickers, clean contacts, get rid of marker. As for the consoles themselves I like to keep them looking original, but if there are any advancements I can do without changing how the unit looks I'll do that. So in the case of Gamegear, I'm planning on replacing the capacitors and swapping out the old backlight for a modern led backlight. But ill keep the same screen

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:18:39 pm »
Ain't nothing going anywhere until contacts are cleaned.  I also sanitize exterior surfaces (carefully) because, well I don't have to tell you all how some people have kept their games.  But after the decontamination it becomes a case by case basis.  I try to remove most stickers unless its either a risk to damage the cart in do so or for some historical reasons.  In one sense its kinda cool knowing that this copy of Yoshi's Cookie came from a mid-west Hollywood Video that has long since closed ts doors or seeing a rental stores crude attempt at consolidating an instruction manual into an index card sized page. 

I do try to keep my systems original and played on TV's they were designed for....however, this is still case by case.  For example, after replacing my NES 72 pin connector several times over the last thirty years I installed the Blinking Light Win.  My wife still has her original Game Boy but the screen is deeply scratched and missing the battery cover.  If I'm having to replace those two things with aftermarkets then I might as well go all the way.  So I have a clear plastic shell along with a new screen coming on the slow boat from China.  Also over the years I've ordered new shells for about a half a dozen Nintendo DS's where the hinge breaks.

So I guess if working the getting the unit working as designed means using non-original equipment then I'm all for it.  If you don't like knowing that Kay Bee Toys wanted $49.99 for that game twenty years ago then that's okay too.

kypherion

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 03:27:15 pm »
I just buy it. That's it.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

greenman

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 01:38:24 pm »
Clean everything up. Take off all the unnecessary labels or stickers. Do retrobright on any yellowing plastic, like Snes for example. If console/cartridge too dirty, open it up, air in can, isopropyl alc, resolder any loose points, add solder where is not enough.

Now I never replace or restore the actual game labels or any damaged art. That I keep for historic value. Also, I rarely replace the cases or boxes if I have any. I dont need those to look new.

Old but very clean is fine by me.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 05:46:08 pm »
I clean it and take stickers off that are not unique to a game store off

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 01:03:12 pm »
I'll clean it  but not change the console/game