Author Topic: Went to car boot sale and charity store today  (Read 1148 times)

Went to car boot sale and charity store today
« on: May 20, 2018, 10:35:25 am »
Just a bunch of garbage and sports titles and crap.

Can’t find decent retro in the wild anymore.

Where are you dudes getting the goods? tell meeee

Re: Went to car boot sale and charity store today
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 10:57:09 am »
It's simple, really: You just. Keep. Trying.

Most of what we really think of as 'retro' is largely in the collector's market now. If you want it in the wild, you have to cast a wider net, and be prepared for lots of disappointment. You check all the secondhand shops. You turn by every sign that says 'sale' with an arrow pointing to a stranger's house. You browse craigslist & other online local selling sources.

But most importantly- you don't let the internet get to you. It will convince you that good stuff is everywhere when really, it's one guy making one find 100 miles away from you, and he won't post again this year. You're seeing the collective finds for massive geographic regions condensed into one tiny space.

For me, personally, Two things help: 1) redefine what you're looking for. You don't find desirable, valuable things in these kinds of places- you find the stuff nobody wants right now. If you hit up the thrifts looking for NES/SNES, you will be sad. But now is a great time to find Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3- because right now those are 'old', not 'retro'. 2) Check gaming shows if you have any nearby. It sounds counterintuitive, but some of the best finds I've had the last couple years have been at retro expos. See, for the general populace, popular old titles (think Mario) are still something they want & can't find easily. But most retro collectors have their Marios already- so if you still need something like that, a retro show might cut you a deal becuase their customer base isn't buying that. And if you want causal fare? Dirt effin' cheap. I paid a dollar for a Wii Fit board last year at a retro show- a dollar! The thrifts want ten! The yard sale wanted $20! Then another seller saw me carrying it, and gave me a free Zumba Fitness CIB- he didn't want to haul it home! That was a good day.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 11:00:14 am »
Not in Europe

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 11:06:05 am »
I'm shocked that you managed to have more than 3 games in the collection quite Impressive ::)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:37:51 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 12:43:04 pm »
I'm shocked that you managed to have more than 3 games in the collection quite Impressive ::)
I was torn whether to include current gen stuff as part of the ‘collection’, because I don’t consider modern games to be collectibles. But I thought I’d add XB1, PS4 and Switch titles anyway.

Most of my stuff is digital on PC and current gen consoles.

I have about 55 NES games and 12 SNES games boxed away in my loft that I haven’t listed out just for the time it would take.

I haven’t considered games as being a collection or something I actively go after so cataloging them feels artificial.

I’m still figuring out what I actually want to collect and how to go about it. I might just collect rarities and use them as something to blow excess cash on from time to time on eBay. I’m trying to look for things out in the wild but I think 2018 might be too late for that.

rayne315

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 05:39:35 pm »
Personally I hit up 8 different stores that occasionally have used games (Good Will/Salvation Army/ETC) and 6 stores that is there business selling used games (Game Stop/Video Games ETC/Disc Replay/ETC). I frequent these stores every single week sometimes 2 times a week. from the garage sale/flea market side of things there have never been any good flea markets around (usually only ~10 a year with less than 30 venders a time) although you can occasionally find a game at them it will be in 1 maybe 2 flea markets and your chance of finding anything worth it is pretty low. My best luck comes from garage sales. I usually hit at least 15-20 good sales a year but you really need to keep in mind that throughout the garage sale season I hit probably 20-30 sales every Friday and Saturday, so I hit a thousand+ sales a year.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 05:57:57 pm »
 if you can find someone throwing away games or a collector who died or don't want the games anymore. At a garage sale, it is not good that anyone should die but it can happen
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 06:53:44 pm »
if you can find someone throwing away games or a collector who died or don't want the games anymore. At a garage sale, it is not good that anyone should die but it can happen

Very true I've scored some amazing deals that way. Usually the relatives don't know what to do with it and want it gone you can even get sought after stuff for low prices.

Pretty sad though but it is not an uncommon thing in my experience.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:12:55 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

PaleManInBlack

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 08:08:25 pm »
Mostly Ebay. Though there are a few CEX and GAME stores as well as an independent store in my city centre that I'll probably start looking through. I also can't forget my local Oxfam where I was able to pick up some great games for about £2.99 each. Would list them, but I'm not sure if anyone would care.