Author Topic: N64 Reset Button Trouble I'm Guessing It's the Expansion Pack?  (Read 1753 times)

I bought a n64 used online with the expansion pack a while back, and I noticed that although the console is clean and the reset button is not stuck. So I am guessing this may be an electrical issue. I am not going to bother to fix this since on and off still works fine.

I don't use the reset button often.

I watched a video on Youtube and done my research. and I am not the only one having this issue. all Youtube did was recommend that I take it apart and clean it, but the console has been clean since the day I had it. So far google led me to nowhere and there is nothing on the internet that has a solution. Or the hackers have their mouth shut and nobody's talking. as I did read in a forum that this guy fixed multiple systems with this issue but has no tell to prove it

But I did notice that in the video had of someone fixing this issue has the same expansion pack as mine the red booster pack
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ffxik

Re: N64 Reset Button Trouble I'm Guessing It's the Expansion Pack?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 02:59:38 am »
It's going through a reset loop, correct?

I had that same problem after mine had sat for a while.  Although the console was clean it would start resetting after 10 or so seconds of gameplay.  Then it wouldn't get past the N64 boot logos before resetting.   My experience and what I did was clean the contacts on the expansion module and the contacts inside the expansion bay. 

If that's not the issue and the button isn't working at all then the issues lies with the momentary switch itself.  It may be clean but that button is notorious for collecting debris.  I would say some dust or whatnot made it's way all the way down to the switch and is keeping it from making contact.  The only way to fix the problem would be to completely tear it down and manually clean it.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 08:34:46 pm »
It's going through a reset loop, correct?

I had that same problem after mine had sat for a while.  Although the console was clean it would start resetting after 10 or so seconds of gameplay.  Then it wouldn't get past the N64 boot logos before resetting.   My experience and what I did was clean the contacts on the expansion module and the contacts inside the expansion bay. 

If that's not the issue and the button isn't working at all then the issues lies with the momentary switch itself.  It may be clean but that button is notorious for collecting debris.  I would say some dust or whatnot made it's way all the way down to the switch and is keeping it from making contact.  The only way to fix the problem would be to completely tear it down and manually clean it.

no I'm lucky it's not it just the buttion just don't work period

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:29:53 pm »
So this may be a dumb question but what exactly is the unit doing?  I see the title says Reset troubles but that doesn't tell me if the power LED comes on, displays an image, outputs audio, tried power w/o expansion pak, all that jazz.  Lets take this step by step and figure it out together.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 02:49:30 am »
So this may be a dumb question but what exactly is the unit doing?  I see the title says Reset troubles but that doesn't tell me if the power LED comes on, displays an image, outputs audio, tried power w/o expansion pak, all that jazz.  Lets take this step by step and figure it out together.
RESPONCE

1: The LED light does come on when I have the N64 turned on
2: Games and Images work fine
3: Audio is fine

4: didn't remove the expansion pack but have a feeling that it's the cause of reset button not doing anything. I can't test the console without the expansion chip because it needs to be inserted in order for the N64 to run. (I don't currently have another chip to test this theory though)

The only thing broken on this system. Is that the reset button don't reset the game, it's not stuck. I can still push I down. and the reset button pops back up normally. Except nothing happens the game does not reset

The on and off switch works fine. It's really not a console breaker but it is kinda annoying
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:00:09 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 09:53:33 pm »
Cool thanks.  You weren't kidding, tons of stuff out there on the net for stuck reset buttons and quite a bit for buttons with full motion that just don't work.  In most of those cases it just stopped working one day. Those have tried cleaning the switch with isopropyl and contact cleaner with no effect. This french fellow has the best cleaning how to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvkGGjkD5nI#action=share) and this one shows you how to get there (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2dRyVFG1Cc).  True be told you've prob already found these vidz.  I'm gonna keep an eye out in forums for someone who's got a solution.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 08:41:44 am »
Cool thanks.  You weren't kidding, tons of stuff out there on the net for stuck reset buttons and quite a bit for buttons with full motion that just don't work.  In most of those cases it just stopped working one day. Those have tried cleaning the switch with isopropyl and contact cleaner with no effect. This french fellow has the best cleaning how to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvkGGjkD5nI#action=share) and this one shows you how to get there (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2dRyVFG1Cc).  True be told you've prob already found these vidz.  I'm gonna keep an eye out in forums for someone who's got a solution.

thanks for your concern, but I just gonna leave it alone. I have a deep feeling that the expansion pack is the cause. Because the exact video, I watched had the same issue and it also had the red expansion pack installed :)

NO APPS NEEDED