Author Topic: Would you collect differently if you had tons of disposable income?  (Read 2436 times)

kypherion

Re: Would you collect differently if you had tons of disposable income?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 12:03:52 pm »
For sure, spending money on games would spike through the roof if I had a ton of disposable income, especially since it's my only real funded hobby.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 12:54:05 pm »
Oh, absolutely- I'd get into the Super Spendy Retro Consoles- more Saturn stuff, a TurboDuo, NeoGeo, arcade cabs & pinball.

I'd love to have a large portion of my home (possibly a separate building?) done up like an old arcade fun center, with rooms dedicated to each 'generation' of gaming. Then I'd throw parties for people to come try out all this stuff they'd never play otherwise. Especially kids. The real trick is working out the security...

ferraroso

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 07:32:06 pm »
Well, since you are talking about havig tons of disposable income (what is a "disposable" income anyway? haha) I would change completely not only my collecting style, but also my whole life style.
Considering only games, however, the first thing would be having a huge Neo Geo collection.

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 10:19:32 pm »
If money wasn't an issue, I'd need a bigger house to put it all. A couple hundred thousand would get everything I'm interested in.
What do you do when you have it all though? Your collecting days would be finished  :(

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 09:27:04 am »
If money wasn't an issue, I'd need a bigger house to put it all. A couple hundred thousand would get everything I'm interested in.
What do you do when you have it all though? Your collecting days would be finished  :(

And your Playing days will begin! :)

Plus, if you collect modern, you're still hitting up Gamestop every week for new releases. And homebrews! Don't forget those! There's always something new to add.

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 09:45:17 am »

Plenty of things that don't show up on ebay monthly or even yearly

If you collect cib or old school merchandice especially in at least very nice shape you will still have many holes to fill of items that do not show up.

Plenty of of stuff wich are far from holy grail or even sought after expensive rare items wich rarely show up.

You would actually still need to hunt for those kind of items since even if you had no limits many would still not own them since it takes to much effort to find.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:55:50 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 02:34:47 pm »
I don't spend a bunch every month, but I do spend more than I need to. I don't "deal" shop. I usually go out on a weekend looking for a specific game with a set amount of cash in hand. If the places I stop have it, I'll get it. If not, I usually grab a few smaller items worth the same amount and try again next week elsewhere.

I always buy from resellers. In this day and age it takes a lot of courage to have a private business selling games. I like to endorse that, even if it costs me a bit more. Buying online, unless it is something I haven't had any luck finding otherwise is usually my last resort.

If I had significantly more money to spend on games I think my attitude towards my collecting would change. I don't want to say I feel ashamed, but I am definitely reserved/conservative. With more cash I think I would be more confident in collecting and really going after what I want. I don't see my self buying more, but being willing to spend a little more to get the games I really want.

rayne315

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 04:10:48 pm »
I don't think I would no. I already have tons of disposable income. I make a really good salary (way more than my cost of living) and im also very financially literate and have been consistently making 30%+ on my investments since i started saving during my first job almost 10 years ago (right after the stock market crashed). hell the last 2 years have been hundreds of % increases but I honestly got very lucky with macronix.

im still hoping that mad catz will pull it around here this year and keep that streak going. if it does I could very seriously consider retirement in a few years.

personally my spending goes

1. required bills (gas, electric, rent, phone, etc)
2. retirement (generally 50% of what is left over after #1)
3. non required bills (internet, restaurant food, etc)
4. games
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:15:54 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 08:06:58 am »
I doubt I would since I'm already picky. Having tons of disposable income would be used for more traveling.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 09:29:20 am »
I doubt I would since I'm already picky. Having tons of disposable income would be used for more traveling.

But we could travel to more cons!  Then we could collect differently there!

kashell

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 10:31:03 am »

But we could travel to more cons!  Then we could collect differently there!

We'd collect more experiences! That'd be fun.