Author Topic: Do You Buy Something Just Because It's Rare Or Fun Factor?  (Read 4326 times)

Do You Buy Something Just Because It's Rare Or Fun Factor?
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:31:59 am »
I like to own a game for it's fun factor. a lot of rare game are rare for a reason. And sometimes it is because they stink or where underrated on their release. yet most common games I actually found to be fun including common overlooked sports titles. why pay $100 or more on a rare game when you could have just as much fun on a common game?

Who like common games? I Do :)

If you do see my collection I'll confess I own a bunch of compilations with the rare stuff

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:40:21 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Do You Buy Something Just Because It's Rare Or Fun Factor?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 08:17:42 am »
Neither, I buy stuff that I see that is significantly cheaper than it would be online.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 08:51:29 am »
In the past I have bought games purely because of how rare they are and because of the deal I was getting on them, but overall I've always bought games that I had the intention of playing. At the end of the day video games are meant to be played and nearly every game I own I bought because I thought it looked fun and/or interesting. My days of hunting rarity trophies simply for the sake of bragging about how I own X game are over.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 11:57:09 am »
Both

I buy games I want to play. These things are fun. There’s a reason there are a billion copies of SMB3 in the world. It’s really fun.

I’m also a collector. The reason I some of this rare stuff is because I like having uncommon stuff in the ole collection.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 12:40:28 pm »
I buy games that I want to play, that are within my comfort range for game prices. I don't worry too much about what those prices are. Over time, as my collection has grown, the price I'll pay for a game has gone up- the logic being 'I can buy 3 games of middling interest for $10 each, or I can buy one game I really want for $30.' (Granted, the number is notably higher than $30 these days, but you get the point.)

I also buy things that I think will add a unique, if not necessarily 'fun' experience to my collection. Especially when it's cheap- I don't spend a lot of time with Babysitting Mama on the Wii, but a dollar for a game you control with a giant plush baby? I definitely don't have anything else like that!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:01:35 pm »
This seems to be a repeating theme around here, as of late. You guys are basically asking the same question over and over again in different ways. It's just the same old, "Are you a collector or player?" question.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 01:07:10 pm »
Because it's rare.

Finding Sly Raccoon out in the wild is wayyy more satisfying than finding say Grand Theft Auto San Andreas despite the latter being a fun and popular title on the system.

The best feeling is when it's rare and also fun and you get it for a bargain, I live for that rush.

kypherion

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 02:59:12 pm »
A little bit of both. I have a japanese import of Jojo's bizarre adventure on the PS1 and that's going to be more rare to a degree (im in the US) and so owning that is fun cause it's rare, but it is pretty fun with friends.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

kypherion

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 03:08:48 pm »
This seems to be a repeating theme around here, as of late. You guys are basically asking the same question over and over again in different ways. It's just the same old, "Are you a collector or player?" question.

I guess yeah. What suggestions would you recommend for discussion?
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 09:13:16 pm »
Because it's rare.

Finding Sly Raccoon out in the wild is wayyy more satisfying than finding say Grand Theft Auto San Andreas despite the latter being a fun and popular title on the system.

The best feeling is when it's rare and also fun and you get it for a bargain, I live for that rush.
If you mean Sly Cooper it isn't a rare PS2 game it got a greatest hits release.

brazbit

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 01:10:32 am »
Because I know the game is fun, to find the fun in the unknown, and simple curiosity.

Journey Escape. The concept is absurd, the story of its development even more so. In the 80s I had no interest in Journey, now I get a kick out of hearing "Don't Stop Believin'" as I navigate my character through throngs of kissy lips, flashbulbs, etc... with the help of the Kool-Aid Man.... err... "your manager" in a quest to get each of the members of the band to the Scarab. I would never have experienced this kind of absurdity without collecting.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 01:34:11 am »
Both. Also if something is objectively terrible to play with friends and laugh. Like I literally bought a copy of The Bee Movie Video Game for that reason XD

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 07:54:27 pm »
For me its a bit of both i buy a game to play for the fun factor. I might take a chance on a game I've never even heard of just because its cheep enough. Also if i find a rare game for cheap I'll buy it for the collection. As long as I don't already own one
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:57:03 pm by wartoy »

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 08:04:57 pm »
Because it's rare.

If you mean Sly Cooper it isn't a rare PS2 game it got a greatest hits release.
I don't, I mean the PAL game Sly Raccoon https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=711719431329

Also, lol greatest hits editions

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 02:53:20 pm »
More often than not I buy solely for fun factor. I honestly don't have too many games worth much; some that are sought after, but still sub $100.

When out in the wild I more or less buy for fun factor. Will I enjoy this? Can I play it with friends? So on...