Author Topic: Does each system have a small minority of games that are collectible?  (Read 1041 times)

I feel like each system only has a small minority of titles worth collecting; like a vast majority of games are 'commons' and in abundance, worth very little and aren't being hoarded or coveted by most collectors.

Do you think there's this top level of creme that is a cut above most of the library for systems whereby most of the games on a system go for a certain price and then this group of 30 or 50 or 100 titles peak above and are more choicey and sought after?

Yes in my opinion. but calling something collectible is usually something in matter of the opinion of who's collecting the games and who is the one calling them collectible
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

And as well as only some games having more value than a baseline 5 or 10 bucks, moreover, I think only a subset of retro games 'hold up' today as still being fun.

It's subjective of course but some people say early polygonal games like N64 and PS1 titles are in general very ugly now.

Outside of first party Nintendo titles and some choice games is retro really the golden age compared to present day?

I think I'm at a realisation that most retro games are worthless and not fun - but that's not to take away from the special ones that do hold up and are still rightfully sought after.

Pac-Man is never not going to be fun, Street Fighter II is iconic and excellent, Super Mario Bros is super raw gameplay and awesome but for every one of those great games there's 50 that are mediocre to bad.

I have an easy time intimately learning and pursuing the valuable and still loved titles in a game library.

I still see PS2 around from time to time and have picked up Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, Silent Hill 3, PaRappa The Rapper 2 and Sly Raccoon all for next to nothing on my travels. That system has something like 2,500 games and I am able to scan piles of them and just from the title on the spine largely know whether it's sought after or goes for more than a penny.

I'm finding satisfaction in being discerning and hunting for treasure and scouring the best things.

Maybe my headspace is very different from most collectors.

I like only going for gold and having a mental list of the best things and knowing I don't have all that much I need to buy because only a small amount of all retro is pure bliss. I'm going for the high of the greatest crap in the libraries and leaving all the common tat. I feel fine knowing that what I want might have to come from eBay because the list of stuff I want is relatively short so it's all good.

yes

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Yes not every game for all systems are good games that is true.I've been collecting over 30 years now and I learned that sometimes unpopular games become popular or valuable and I've also played  a game and hated it only to play it again years later and loved it. All I'm saying is something that's desirable today might not be tomorrow and  something you deem as crap might become desirable.Case in point Earthbound,Evo,Zombie Nation these are just some games I either hated now love or could have bought dirt cheap and didn't because they were considered crap.

sworddude

Yes not every game for all systems are good games that is true.I've been collecting over 30 years now and I learned that sometimes unpopular games become popular or valuable and I've also played  a game and hated it only to play it again years later and loved it. All I'm saying is something that's desirable today might not be tomorrow and  something you deem as crap might become desirable.Case in point Earthbound,Evo,Zombie Nation these are just some games I either hated now love or could have bought dirt cheap and didn't because they were considered crap.

If it's a good game that was unknown to many and it becomes desirable well known the chances are very low that it will be considered crap again or rather unknown to many since they never were bad games to begin with. Many of the desirable games such as hagane, wild guns sunsetriders were barely played by anyone back in the day.

If you would consider titles as Earthbound,Evo,Zombie Nation crap back in the day you either didn't play them, were to young to understand them or they were just not your type of games. But even if you don't like certain styles of games you could at least judge when a game is crap or not. With that logic many people might say that certain games as earthbound are crap don't like them anymore. I don't see that happening to be honest. If you don't like certain genre's sure but otherwise It's pretty hard to turn a excellent game into a crappy one. As a final note since many of these games became valuable I guess more people gave them a serious chance to play them through while in the past since they were worth nothing you would put it in play it for a short while and call it quits not really giving certain games a chance wich might be a reason why some people are suprised that certain titles go up. If it has a low value to most people the gameplay might be mediocre not worth their time thus not giving certain games a chance if you would like my opinion. It was cheap and plentyfull back in the day so I'm pretty sure such expectations were not uncommon back than.

The only thing that might happen is that some old stock might be found to flood the market and thus lowering it's value otherwise a hidden gem that has been discovered will stay desirable at least gameplay wise.

The exception to this might be when retro gaming would be less popular in that case yes something desirable today will not be desirable anymore tomorrow with the caveat that this would affect the whole library of all those older consoles.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:58:50 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

If it's a good game that was unknown to many and it becomes desirable well known the chances are very low that it will be considered crap again or rather unknown to many since they never were bad games to begin with. Many of the desirable games such as hagane, wild guns sunsetriders were barely played by anyone back in the day.

If you would consider titles as Earthbound,Evo,Zombie Nation crap back in the day you either didn't play them, were to young to understand them or they were just not your type of games. But even if you don't like certain styles of games you could at least judge when a game is crap or not. With that logic many people might say that certain games as earthbound are crap don't like them anymore. I don't see that happening to be honest. If you don't like certain genre's sure but otherwise It's pretty hard to turn a excellent game into a crappy one. As a final note since many of these games became valuable I guess more people gave them a serious chance to play them through while in the past since they were worth nothing you would put it in play it for a short while and call it quits not really giving certain games a chance wich might be a reason why some people are suprised that certain titles go up. If it has a low value to most people the gameplay might be mediocre if you would like my opinion.

The only thing that might happen is that some old stock might be found to flood the market and thus lowering it's value otherwise a hidden gem that has been discovered will stay desirable at least gameplay wise.

The exception to this might be when retro gaming would be less popular in that case yes something desirable today will not be desirable anymore tomorrow with the caveat that this would affect the whole library of all those older consoles.
yes I did play them but for some reason or another I didn't like them I didn't like broccoli when I was little either but now I love it taste change over time it just happens and I can remember a time when those games were in bargin basment bins for 5 to 20 bucks and still didn't sell. I remember playing zombie nation and thinking giant head shooter really.? But now I appreciate it more for what it is a good game.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:10:59 pm by wartoy »

sworddude

If you would consider titles as Earthbound,Evo,Zombie Nation crap back in the day you either didn't play them, were to young to understand them or they were just not your type of games. But even if you don't like certain styles of games you could at least judge when a game is crap or not. With that logic many people might say that certain games as earthbound are crap don't like them anymore. I don't see that happening to be honest. If you don't like certain genre's sure but otherwise It's pretty hard to turn a excellent game into a crappy one. As a final note since many of these games became valuable I guess more people gave them a serious chance to play them through while in the past since they were worth nothing you would put it in play it for a short while and call it quits not really giving certain games a chance wich might be a reason why some people are suprised that certain titles go up. If it has a low value to most people the gameplay might be mediocre if you would like my opinion.

yes I did play them but for some reason or another I didn't like them I didn't like broccoli when I was little either but now I love it taste change over time it just happens and I can remember a time when those games were in bargin basment bins for 5 to 20 bucks and still didn't sell. I remember playing zombie nation and thinking giant head shooter really.? But now I appreciate it more for what it is a good game.

I can somewhat imagine that.

But I still stand by my point that it is a combination of the game being worthless plentyfull to buy expectations of not missing to much and or being younger to fully enjoy a certain game to most people back than also ofcourse that pretty much no one would say that such games are good wich might also affect a judgement in dismissing a game earlier, allot of people tend to like games that other recommend thus following a shepard discovering a good game like sheeps this does not apply to games only It's pretty much for everything ::)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:37:04 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Whether or not a system has titles you consider 'playable' is subjective- but there's a game or two for every console that's notably more expensive than all the others. Even systems with a stupidly small library have a 'holy grail' or two. For an extreme example, see the Pokémon Mini. Only 10 games total for the thing, but good luck finding a decently priced Pichu Bros. or Togepi game.