Author Topic: What kind of tolerance do you have for the prices of retro games?  (Read 3050 times)

How much maximum will you spend for a retro game?
If prices go up will you pony up the cash?
Do you care how much old games cost / does it bother you at all?

Re: What kind of tolerance do you have for the prices of retro games?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 03:06:05 am »
Relative to a lot of hobbies, video game collecting is a bargain. With that said, many of the more expensive hobbies I'm thinking of would be out of my price range.

Video game collecting has become a lot more expensive overall since everyone is now aware that retro games are collectable. Back when I started, people priced them like they were giving them away and even at game stores, prices were very low for most titles. I hot a point several years ago with most retro games where I wouldn't pay what they're going for and luckily due to hunting for them on the cheap and being patient i was able to find many retro titles I wanted for pretty cheap.
The magic number I have in mind for a limit on price for a single game is $200, but depending on how badly I wanted the game, how good of a deal it was, and also how much extra money I had at the time, I may go higher. I can think of two games tha I'd actually do this with, but both would have to be a screamin deal still.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 06:46:53 am »
Most games id like to play would cap at around $50 ish dollars, except for Jrpgs i'd easily pay over 100$ depending on how much id like to play it. :)

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 07:37:04 am »
Most I would pay for something is half of what it goes for online.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 08:06:31 am »
It's vary affordable. like most have been saying for a long time now, it is cheaper than other hobbies
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

shfan

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 09:08:18 am »
In cash it would be £20 max, unless it was extremely unusual circumstances, like a copy of Kuon on PS2. That said, I very rarely pay that much and only occasionally pay more than a pound or two for retro. I trade, buying cheap items and using stores to trade-up for stuff I want.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 11:08:56 am »
Generally won't go over $30.

But I'm at the point where most of the games left on my wishlist are pricey, so I've spent around $50 give or take for a few in the last year.

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 11:24:31 am »
In general I won't pay more than 60$ (in Canadian dollars).I'm still a student so i can't afford to pay a lot of money for games, so I always wait for a good deal.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 01:38:04 pm »
Maybe around $50 or so. Granted my buying habits overall have subsided in the last couple of years especially after I decided to go the Everdrive route with what I have. Sure there are still some carts that I'd like to get but the temptations have definitely fallen and for the better in my opinion.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 04:54:22 pm »
I don't like to go over the original price of a game.Back in the day of nes games went around 60 to 80 dollars new so a rare expensive game I would justify spending that much but not on a common tittle.

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 10:34:23 am »
Generally, my maximum price is $3. For items I am actively seeking, the price may be up to $10. My max on Genesis games is at $20.

For Ebay, I won't go over $10 unless it is a lot, then it depends on what is in it, the max might be $80-100.

So I guess I have zero tolerance for the overall market. If games are worth more than I am comfortable to spend, then I won't be getting it. And not going to make a big deal about that, and it isn't important to have *whatever* because I have plenty of games I can still play. That other stuff can wait.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 10:40:31 am »
Before I buy a retro game, I always ask myself "If this breaks, will I be willing to replace it?"
There are a ton of games I want but I just can't justify spending nearly $300 because if it breaks I'm fucked.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 11:33:12 am »
Before I buy a retro game, I always ask myself "If this breaks, will I be willing to replace it?"
There are a ton of games I want but I just can't justify spending nearly $300 because if it breaks I'm fucked.

Good point
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 08:14:21 am »

Interesting thoughts, that being said if you break anything else your also fucked so with that logic you can't buy anything.

Say your car even if it's insured breaks your fucked since your monthly payments will go up by allot if you decide to let the insurance company pay the damage just to name one example.

Not to mention that damage for normal electronics and store bought items are also not insured since if it was your own mistake.

Binnoculars of certain brands are some of the exceptions to the rule with their truly insane warranty rules, They have allot of trust in their items considering you have a life time warranty not to mention that even own mistakes no matter how crazy the situation are fully insured  :o
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:27:25 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kypherion

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 01:46:00 pm »
I care enough to where I won't blow most of my spending money on a single game, but if the game is a MUST have for me I'll pony up cash. Mostly not an issue since I find really good deals on the stuff I buy.

Maximum I will spend on a single game is $50. If it's above that it either better be a screaming deal/one great game or it's not worth it for me.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:48:02 pm by kypherion »
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"