Author Topic: What kind of tolerance do you have for the prices of retro games?  (Read 3049 times)

Re: What kind of tolerance do you have for the prices of retro games?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 03:30:35 pm »
I care enough to where I won't blow most of my spending money on a single game, but if the game is a MUST have for me I'll pony up cash. Mostly not an issue since I find really good deals on the stuff I buy.

Maximum I will spend on a single game is $50. If it's above that it either better be a screaming deal/one great game or it's not worth it for me.
Must have like Devil May Cry 5?

kypherion

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 01:16:41 pm »
I care enough to where I won't blow most of my spending money on a single game, but if the game is a MUST have for me I'll pony up cash. Mostly not an issue since I find really good deals on the stuff I buy.

Maximum I will spend on a single game is $50. If it's above that it either better be a screaming deal/one great game or it's not worth it for me.
Must have like Devil May Cry 5?

Ah, you know me well. Depending on what console (I'm assuming PS4) I'd have to get my hands on a ps4 first, and then yes.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

aetherorange

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 01:12:25 pm »
It depends on the game personally. If I had to rebuy EarthBound, I'd absolutely spend $200 or whatever it goes for now because it's my favorite game of all time. Games I have spent over $100 on: Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Cubivore, EVO The Search for Eden, EarthBound. I've spent close to $100 on Demon's Crest, Mega Man X2, Sparkster, Lufia II, Conker's Bad Fur Day. I'm probably missing a couple but my point is all of these games are games I love. I wouldn't spend this kind of money on a game I didn't love. Most of my games were $50 or cheaper. I pay what they are worth to me. I'd love buy Ninja Gaiden Trilogy on SNES but it's not worth $200 to me.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 05:39:03 pm »
To quote Bad Religion, "it's oh so relative, subservient in total to ones perspective." So yes, posts above agree that it depends on whats left on your wish list and how those games made a personal impact on your life.  BUT its also geographical.  Where I live there are NO flea markets, bargain mom and pops or huge population of retro gamer in a small area.  So I have to accept that I may pay more than folks in Seattle or Denver because of market saturation or lack there of.  So I take all this stuff into account.  I use ebay, and a couple of apps on my phone to get an idea of a greedy price and a perfect world price and then just go from there.

ferraroso

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 08:06:38 pm »
It really depends on so many different things. It depends on how much does the game usually go for and how much I want it (independently of its overall quality).
For example, I would never pay more than ¥2,000 (US$17,80) on any N64 cartridge (even though I know there is a handfull of awesome games for that console), however I happily paid ¥15,000 (US$133.46) for a copy of The King of Fighters '98 for the AES.

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 10:02:48 pm »
Are most retro video games in really in the hundreds range a piece now? That is a shame because I don't think I will continue my hobby of collecting video games. If  In my opinion if you buy a single game for second hand over $30 you getting ripped off buy your dealer.

I don't understand how retro dealers are getting away with selling a, typical shooter game for example for 100's of US dollars. box or not you can buy furniture for less.

or possibility a car part
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:07:14 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 08:38:39 pm »
I don't like to go over the original price of a game.Back in the day of nes games went around 60 to 80 dollars new so a rare expensive game I would justify spending that much but not on a common tittle.

This is exactly how I feel buying old school games. If I can find a game complete, in good condition, that somebody took care of for the past 20+ years, I have no problem paying the original amount.
I recently got into buying arcade games. When I was a teenager, the going price for a cabinet was around $1250. If I can get a PCB of a game I played growing up for $200, I'm all over it.

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 09:47:52 am »
$200 max willing to pay and ot has to be something driving me insane to find.  For me it was Dokapon Journey complete edition like new for DS.  Spend $150. Mosty due to the fact, i havent saw it on ebay for over 6 months, and everyone else that had it was asking for $400+
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 10:45:20 pm »
I've learned to accept the reality of retro video game pricing. Video games can be an expensive hobby. But like any hobby, I can stop participating if it gets too expensive and find something else to do with my time.