Author Topic: You ever go on eBay and think "I should not be bidding this amount for this"?  (Read 982 times)

There is a copy of Mr Driller for PS1 ending on eBay in 2 hours and 35 minutes from now, a game very dear to me that I played and adored when I was much younger.

I currently have the winning bid at £12.50 plus £2.90 postage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MR-DRILLER-PS1/113026123907

Now you might be thinking - "Why didn't he snipe at the end of the auction to get the best price?!", well, it's because the bidding already got to a level where I was pushing my comfortable boundary to spend on a retro game and truthfully I almost WANT to be outbid because god why am I putting £15 up for a PS1 game?

Sometimes I have these internal struggles with myself and I really think I shouldn't be paying more than something like £8 / $10 for a retro title, regardless of what they are worth in the market. I feel better about the games I pick up for £1 than the ones I shell out for.

Do you ever feel dirty for paying market rate, or above the odds, or more than you really want to be paying for retro games?

This £15.40 is 17.59 Euro and 20.56 USD, for context.

It feels too much. And I've found myself in other dumb situations for more money before impulsively.

I hate myself.

It's not that it's a lot of money or anything, it's that it's a lot of money for what it is and that these upper amounts are reaching bill paying levels. My home insurance is like £18 a month and mobile phone around £34, I don't know man, it just feels somehow immoral to me to spend the price of a bill on an old ass game.

It adds up when you do it often. In 2016 I spent over £750 on random garbage on eBay (not all games), I've added it up in purchase history.

I personally don't use Ebay, I don't think that getting something off Ebay is a guarantee. especially with someone else setting the bar vary higher than earlier bidders. It I am guessing is not a guarantee your going to get what you want especially if someone beats you in the price range

Also I heard people getting piles of poop in a box sent to them from sellers off Ebay, I would guess someone would want to do that to someone who offered a low price with no competition
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

wartoy

PRO Supporter

I never use eBay or Amazon I wait till I find something in the wild even if it takes years to find a specific game. I've have been looking for certain games for years and never found them and maybe never will .

I try not to, but there have been a few times I've got caught up in bidding wars despite thinking that they are really stupid (I'm not perfect either). Probably the most noteworthy was on the game Fox Hunt on the PS1, which I bid way more than I should have after waiting months for someone to list one at auction at a good starting price. Me and one other bidder got into a bid war and the game ended up going about 50% higher than it had, which created a new value for that game given how rare that game is. There have probably been two or three other times similar to that, but that one sticks out the most.

Most of the time if an item I want goes a bit higher than I am willing to pay for it, I usually just let the other person have it cuz I figure I can get a better value down the line. Nowadays, I like to look for stuff I want with best offer and try my luck there.

Only twice- but both were Christmas presents for things we'd either never seen before or since (circa 1997 Yuffie & Vincent plush), or is genuinely one of a kind (Hunter X Hunter animation cels). For gaming things, I typically have a set price in my head & go for a snipe- that way, either it goes or it doesn't, I don't really have time to overbid.

Also I heard people getting piles of poop in a box sent to them from sellers off Ebay,

Well, sometimes that's what the buyer wanted. :P

Also I heard people getting piles of poop in a box sent to them from sellers off Ebay,

Well, sometimes that's what the buyer wanted. :P

I heard of this on a video, but this was a different case. The bullshit boxes I think were for a charity or something. and the buyers were pre-told  they actually were told they would get poop.

But sometimes people can be told completely the opposite from a seller on eBay
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:35:44 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"