Author Topic: After seeing this gen, are you interested in PS5 and XB2?  (Read 2571 times)

shfan

Re: After seeing this gen, are you interested in PS5 and XB2?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 05:27:54 am »
I'm not even thinking about them, this generation's due (overdue) a serious volume of triple-A releases before I'd even look at the next console.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 09:29:38 am »
I’ll buy the next gen when it comes along.
I’m not going to pretend otherwise.

I don’t think it’s time though. There’s still a few more years left in this cycle.

soera

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 12:11:48 pm »
Ive never had interest in Xbox after the OG box. Nintendo has yet to sell me on the Switch (although Octopath may do it).

PlayStation, however, I will get once it gets its stride (getting launch consoles has never made sense to me. The line up is usually weak and prices eventually drop plus no fighting of the crazy crowd). I will not collect for the P5 though. PS4 is my collection. P5 will be to play the games on that console that do not make it to the PS4.

theflea

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:26 am »
I'm sure I will buy both PS5 and XB next gen consoles.
The only way I wont is of they try and pull the no Physical games crap that XBone tried to do.
I don't expect to see these new consoles til 2020 at the earliest.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 10:58:27 am »
I'm not even thinking about them, this generation's due (overdue) a serious volume of triple-A releases before I'd even look at the next console.

I don't think it's so much that the releases aren't there, it's that the form they've taken is off.

When we think about older systems and what 'defined' them and made them awesome, we think of console exclusive titles. For the classic SNES vs. Genesis war, it's a very different list for each console: Mario, Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Chrono Trigger & Earthbound... Sonic, Vectorman, Phantasy Star & Gunstar Heroes... the lists, for the most part, do not cross. Not to mention that, a lot of these were new franchises at the time- fresh characters and concepts.

This time around? Not so much- new IP is a rarity. New GOOD IP even more so. Sony's doing fine for exclusives, but Xbox is woefully behind... the end result is consoles without a well-defined sense of what makes them worth owing. Off the top of my head, if someone wanted to know what new IP defines this generation's consoles, I'd offer Horizon Zero Dawn & The Last Guardian for PS4, Ori & Cuphead for Xbox One... and I'd be hard pressed to think of more. So it feels incomplete.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 02:51:51 pm »
I'm sure I will buy both PS5 and XB next gen consoles.
The only way I wont is of they try and pull the no Physical games crap that XBone tried to do.
I don't expect to see these new consoles til 2020 at the earliest.

There was so much backlash from that announcement that they backpeddaled. I'd be surprised if someone tries it again so soon.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 12:08:09 am »
Certainly interested in a PS5.  Sony has pumped out more than enough reasons to justify a PS4, while Microsoft has utterly failed with the Xbox One.  They screwed things up with their E3 reveal and never were able to recover and I don't know how they turn it around.  Something Sony will always have as an advantage, is the Japanese market.  Japan don't give a crap about the Xbox, so there's a lot of stuff it will never get. 

Microsoft hasn't justified the Xbox One, so I see no reason to be interested in whatever they have next.  Right now, the Switch covers all the Nintendo properties while having portability as a bonus, Sony has all the great exclusives, and PC covers all my shooters and everything else.  Even Microsoft doesn't truly support the Xbox One anymore as they are releasing most games on PC now.  Sunset Overdrive is seemingly getting a PC port, and if Rare Replay gets a PC port, that's it.  They got nothing for me on the Xbox.

Xbox has outsold N64 and Genesis globally and is on it's way to pass SNES.  Losing to PS4 doesn't quantify failure.  PS4 was cheaper. Which all sony fans forget to factor into sales.  20 of 500, is equal to 40 of 250.  And as you say porting it's 1st party exclusives to PC helps their profits as Microsoft windows is the most common UI on PC and it's typically purchased from the microsoft store or from steam. 

Than when it comes to sales.  Xbox spends much less in advertising on average, close to half as much.  Sony puts more of their stake on the line financially because they have to as PS makes up 70 percent of Sony's infrastructure and profits.  And this is reflected in sales.

On paper they are both great consoles with very much to offer.  Sony certainly has more diverse exclusives.  Xbox dominates a few genres.  But the failed console Xbox One stigma is something I think is unfair to it.  When on average it was consitantly 100-200 dollars more and spent half as much in ads.  Those profits are closer than just looking at black and white Sales vs Sales of two consoles.  :)     
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:26:39 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 12:14:49 am »
I'm very interested to see where they are going to take gaming to the next level :).  I'm really hoping they come out in 4 years, around the 2021 to 2022 time frame.   I assume it will take them a little while.  I really want to get my money's worth out of One X because it just came out not that long ago.  :D    I think Sony has more reason to make a next gen console as they haven't really done proper 4k yet.  Xbox One X is really premium right now.  I don't see where they can go with it graphically with modern technology while still keeping it in a price range most folks can afford :).   

I think both companies should wait about 2 years before they start announcements and maybe 4 years for a release that way Pro and One X owners can get a good 4 years out of their new consoles.   And this will also beef up the library and allow technology to advance enough to warrant spec upgrades.  :)

shfan

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2018, 07:29:36 am »
I don't think it's so much that the releases aren't there, it's that the form they've taken is off.

I agree with you about few exclusives and extremely limited new IP making the console scene very dry in this era, those are good points. That said, I think the dearth of triple-A releases is 'a thing', asides from God of War, Resi VII and a handful of others, there's been very little in terms of big-gun games outside of the Destiny-type... stuff. Looking at the release schedules now, there's everything from Ace Combat, Dragon Quest, Dead Island 2, Jurassic World Evolution, Kingdom Hearts, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Code Vein, Metro Exodus.. That's the sort of game that's seriously been lacking this generation. (Not that I live for big-budget triple-A, if anything I prefer quirky and niche titles, but after several nibbly meals in a row it's nice to sink your teeth into a steak).

It doesn't help when game companies, as they always have done, chase the latest fad and declare everything else 'dead'. You've got the moronic press chorusing (a few months ago) that single-player and story-driven games are dead, this week Vampyr shot to the top of the UK charts. Duh. It's true that companies are trying to catch the Fortnite train long after its left the station, but as with MMORPGs and MMOGs, FPS games etc. etc. there are one or two winners and a stack of losers. Thank god the likes of Namco Bandai, Sega, Koei Tecmo and From are stepping up to fill the gaps left by the likes of EA chasing dreams and former heavyweights like Capcom and Konami just... doing whatever the hell it is they do these days.

With Limited Run and their ilk adding more physical releases, eventually the PS4's library should resemble the PS2's - most genres well represented and lots of off-the-wall games that defy genre rules. I just don't want to  think about sinking £400 into a new box when the current one's far from done.

aetherorange

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 01:42:53 pm »
I loved the PS1 and PS2, when PS3 came out I was hesitant but eventually pulled the trigger and ended up having fun with it. With PS4 I didn't even want one, but pulled the trigger anyway because I had extra money and I wanted to play the Last Guardian, because I waited 10 years to play it (or however long it took to make since they first announced it). Ultimately I kind of regret buying a PS4.I haven't played much on it outside of Last Guardian, Resident Evil 7, Final Fantasy XV and God of War. I didn't even finish GoW or FFXV. I think they're good games but the PS4 as a whole hasn't done much for me. I keep waiting and waiting for a game to come along that will really hook me or get me excited to play it but the system is already 5 years old and though a lot of games have released for it, I still feel like the console just released like.a year or two ago. There are so many PS3 ports, it might be half the library honestly. Hopefully I can find more games to enjoy on PS4 but after being largely disappointed with Sony's newest console I have absolutely zero desire to buy a PS5.My desire for a PS3 was fairly low and for PS4 it was close to zero, but with PS5 it actually is zero. Never had any interest in Xbox.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 03:44:12 pm »
The only way I won't get one is if the industry follows Ubisoft's footsteps (as we saw this E3) and tries to push for all of their games to have online-only modes.

ferraroso

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 05:24:17 pm »
Maybe not exactly interested, but I'm definitely curious.
However, I believe this generation still has a lot to show, so I don't think we should see any anouncements before 2020 with a release date for around 2021.

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 12:11:16 pm »
To be honest, the only deal breaker for me is whether or not the PS5 would allow me to play games with people on the PS4. Another thing I care about (but its not necessarily a deal breaker) is backwards compatibility.

I spend most of my time playing games with my friends so if I bought a ps5, I'd probably be playing single player games by myself.