Author Topic: Non-Hardware/Software Video Game Collecting  (Read 1921 times)

Non-Hardware/Software Video Game Collecting
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:10:51 am »
I've recently taken the plunge into collecting vinyl records. I'm keeping everything to strictly video game related records and original soundtracks. Sonic Adventure OST is on its way, and I preordered TESV and DOOM which should both be coming next month. There are tons I want to get so I will have start budgeting these in every month. CDs are great and all, but I like the novelty of the records as a collector, and I think they will display much better. There is also something more intimate about pulling out a record and letting it rip as opposed to just whipping out your phone.

Anyone else have a favorite non-hardware or software, but still video game related collection they're proud of? Plushies, cards, art, manuals, OST's, vinyl, magazines?

EDIT: Playing CDs on my PSOne as my dedicated CD player is still pretty awesome...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:12:37 am by dharmajones93 »

azure

Re: Non-Hardware/Software Video Game Collecting
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 08:44:47 am »
A little variety of things I would say. Figures, plush, OSTs, guidebooks, art books etc.

Art books are definitely my favorite though, I can look through an art book for hours when it comes to some of my favorite games. The ones that get localized/fan translated are even better, because I can actually read all the interviews and stuff.

kashell

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:09:02 am »
Do strategy guides count for this topic?

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 10:03:26 am »
Magazines for certain, but I don't go out of my way for them.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 04:44:05 pm »
Art books are definitely my favorite though, I can look through an art book for hours when it comes to some of my favorite games. The ones that get localized/fan translated are even better, because I can actually read all the interviews and stuff.

I dream about this one. I have the Hyrule Historia but the one I really want is the art and artifacts one. Also, I have a Warcraft III art book. Of all the games I have no idea why I have this one, but it is still fascinating to look through. I could dig collecting art books.

Absolutely! This is one I have thought about more recently. There is a chain here called half price books that has strategy guides occassionally. Picked up a FFIX for the heck of it not too long ago!

Magazines for certain, but I don't go out of my way for them.

Which kinds of magazines? Nintendo Power would be a pretty great collection, but I bet there are some pretty cool or obscure magazines out there that would be infinitely more interesting.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 01:26:19 am »
I collect all matters of video game merchandise that appeals to me. Probably my favorite are old video game magazines, specifically Nintendo Power, Gamepro, Game informer, and the official Dreamcast magazine. I have a few others, but those four are the ones I read the most back in the day and love to own now.

I also have a pretty big guide collection, but I typically only get guides that might be of use, mostly RPG guides.

And then finally are figures and statues. This is a VERY expensive sub collection to get into so I don't buy them often, but I still have a lot of them. Luckily my GF had a bunch from her childhood which I sort of inherited when we moved in together years ago.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:16:17 am »
Old school merchandice and older strategy guides are the things that I like to collect, I have a modest strategy guide collection

I still limit myself I'm not really looking to buy figurines etc unless I find them really cheap if it's from the old school stuff of series that I like.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 09:47:25 am »
Which kinds of magazines? Nintendo Power would be a pretty great collection, but I bet there are some pretty cool or obscure magazines out there that would be infinitely more interesting.

Computer magazines mostly.

kashell

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:29:37 am »

Absolutely! This is one I have thought about more recently. There is a chain here called half price books that has strategy guides occassionally. Picked up a FFIX for the heck of it not too long ago!

I really enjoy my strategy guide collection. If I have a game, then there's a slim chance I'd like to get the guide for it at some point. I may not need it, but it's nice to have. I really like casually reading them. Some folks read Cosmo. I read strategy guides.

Half-Priced Books is pretty cool. I haven't seen them since I moved; they may not have migrated south yet.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 12:45:19 pm »
Just old gaming magazines, pretty much. And a few posters I have hanging around the man-cave.

My favorite gaming magazines being VideoGames and Computer Entertainment, EGM, and Retro Gamer.

I also collect comic books, big time, and some of them are gaming related. Like Captain N, Game Boy, God of War, Halo, Wolfenstein, Mega Man, and a few others. But it's not like it's a big chunk of my comic collection or anything.

shfan

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 12:58:19 pm »
I adore strategy guides, although things have shifted a bit now, up till a couple of years ago they were the closest you would ever get to a 'bible' on a particular game - not just the walkthrough, but art and stats/lists. Nowadays books are being published which take in=depth looks at particular games, but those are few and far between, so I'll still be picking up guides. I particularly like ones on Mario games and survival horror titles and rpgs.

There's several plushies over at the den in my parents place which they kindly keep there for me, I also love soundtrack CDs (wish I could afford more!) and wall art.

kypherion

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 01:42:10 pm »
I don't order them online, but when I go to a gathering like retro gaming expo I make it a habit to pick up a couple Nintendo Power magazines while I'm there.

Also comic books too. I might be getting a load of them sometime soon from a cousin.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:44:10 pm by kypherion »
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 12:16:36 am »
For example Plushes, Figures, promo stuff, board games, etc. Also, what is in your collection?

I tend to collect figures above all else, favorites being My runner 2 statue, and castle crashers figures.
I also have a small collection of video game related food, for example, I have both variants of the Super Mario cereal.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 12:43:14 am »
A few Funko Pops. I thought I would never actually buy one but then when I went to a convention last summer, it kind of got my attention so right now I have a few
A few amiibo. Again the same situation with Funkos but I cant seem to find them at the moment
Super Mario Cereal Box. Yes I ate the cereal but kept the box
Video game related manga or in this case ones based on the Legend of Zelda series

Thats all I can think of

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 08:56:02 am »
I used to be super into movie collecting, and I still am to a lesser extent.

I also like pick up random cheap / interesting toys.  But you would be hard pressed to call it a collection.

Now I'm primarily into games though, as the hunting is half the fun.