Author Topic: E3 Overall Discussion  (Read 1063 times)

E3 Overall Discussion
« on: June 12, 2018, 01:49:53 pm »
With E3 now complete, how was it all for everyone? This wasn't a crazy year like previous ones, but they all can't be nuts.  More of a mid level year as there were some good reveals for sure.  Personally, the stuff that got me excited, not counting some of the nothing announcements like Elder Scrolls 6, Battletoads, and Starfield...

- Daemon X Machina on Switch could be really cool.
- Smash did a good with so many freaking characters.
- Skull & Bones should hopefully be good.
- Samurai games are popular as shit with Ghosts of Tsushima, Nioh 2, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.  Samurai heaven here.
- Resident Evil 2 Remake is all my yes.
- Kingdom Hearts 3 will be a conflicting mix of styles, but a goofy (no pun intended) ass time.
- Spider-Man is actually a little better than I initially viewed it and should be good as the only Sony game they are releasing this year.
- Sable is one of the most visually unique game of the show I feel.
- Battlefield V will be great and Anthem might be good, not sure.
- Rage 2 will be fun.
- I have all of the mixed feelings about Fallout 76.
- Ori 2 looks gorgeous and will be a good time.
- Devil May Cry 5 looks great, though I never played the first four.
- Jump Force looks super stupid, but a good stupid.  Not happy that it's a tag game.
- Dying Light 2 was a welcomed announcement.
- And Cyberpunk 2077 will be just a treat.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:57:06 pm by kamikazekeeg »

Re: E3 Overall Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:57:32 pm »
lol so now an overall thread as well as conference threads.  You're killing me.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:59:56 pm »

I'm not sure why having more specific threads offends you so much; it hasn't ruined my day. Don't really see any harm in having several specific thread versus one general thread where everyone is dumping everything. Either way is fine.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:03:40 pm »

Yeah looking back, next year I'm just gonna do the big 3 shows.  I made this too much work for myself lol.  I still think it was worth it to separate them per show, but with everything over, we can now kinda consolidate everything to just specifically talked about the games that excited us in general.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:05:15 pm by kamikazekeeg »

kypherion

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 02:37:08 pm »
Smash will probably be the thing that pushes me to finally get a switch.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 02:41:32 pm »
While I definitely enjoyed this year's E3, I always felt like it left me wanting still; I never really felt like there was one or several announcements that had me thinking about them non-stop or made me think that this year was one of the great E3s. Sure, there were some very, very memorable announcements and moments, but nothing that really blew me away. I attribute part of that to the fact that we are nearing the end of life for this generation of consoles and I feel like projects that have been in development for a while are finally coming into their own and getting released. Unfortunately we've all known about many of these games for years, which diminishes the amount of excitement someone would feel if they were brand new announcements. And it is those games that have been teased and talked about for a while that were the main highlight of this year's E3, even if their presence at the conference was not a surprise to anyone.

Still, this year was not without its disappointments. I will not even go into EA's or Square's presentations which were both pretty terrible. As many of you know I was not the biggest fan of Bethesda's presentation which was cool due to the announcement of a new Doom game, but other than that it really irritated and annoyed me on various levels. In addition to that I feel like Bethesda might be going in a direction with their single player games that I am not a fan of and I hope I end up being wrong about. Ubisoft's presentation was also very lacking, mostly due to them throwing out what we all knew they would talk about and show. Beyond Good and Evil 2 was a very welcome entry in their presentation, but other than that the presentation was mostly forgettable.

Now for the good presentations; Nintendo's conference today was pretty good, but as I said it didn't really stand out like it could have or should have, and using what's essentially an updated version of Smash on the Wii U as their showcase game was a little underwhelming, but hey, it's Smash. Microsoft had an excellent conference, way better than any other I've seen them have in years, but it was mostly because of all the games they showed off that I'll be buying for my PS4 when they launch. It's there lack of attracting new people to their brand that really made them fall short of what would have been a stellar presentation. That leaves us with Sony's showcase which really stole the show. I was not happy with the format of their presentation, but other than that it was hard to complain about what they did end up showing off and how cool those games look. They may not have showed off as many games as MS, but what they did show they made up for in quality and also the fact that they actually made you want a PS4 or be glad you do have one.

I'm going to hold off on my top announcements of E3 2018 until E3 officially is over on Thursday, just because I'm sure we'll hear about a lot of new titles from the smaller devs and publishers over the next few days. I also need to rewatch some of the trailers and gameplay of certain games to see how I feel about them now that the hype is subsiding a little. But regardless, here is my overall grade for this year's E3.

E3 2018 Overall: C+
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:46:03 pm by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 04:37:00 pm »
eh, screw it. Here are my top 10 announcements/games of E3 this year. I'll update it if I need to later.

1. Ghost of Tsushima: This game was the big surprise for me personally this E3. I had never heard of this game, nor had I seen anything about it, so seeing that gameplay trailer during Sony's showcase caused my jaw to hit the floor in awe. The game looked incredibly polished, beautiful, stylized, and most of all awesome as hell! Seeing samurai combat like that was amazing and the cinematics were done in a way that reminded me of a Kurosawa film. It was absolutely stunning and gave me chills while watching it (hell, i'm getting chills thinking about it again!). I need this game to come out and I hope that I love it as much as I imagine I will.

2. Doom Eternal: Doom 2016 might be my favorite FPS of all time so a sequel had me going nuts when Bethesda announced it. Seeing how there will be gameplay of it later this summer at Quakecon, I'm hoping that I may be able to play this game next Spring or Summer.

3. Resident Evil 2: I was not expecting this announcement at all and it floored me when it was revealed! I am going to miss the tank controls of the original and it should be interesting to play this game in the RE4 style, but beyond that I am super stoked for this game and it'll be a day 1 purchase, no questions!

4. Cyberpunk 2077: This was one of my wishlist games this year and getting that awesome trailer has me hyped beyond belief right now. Pretty much every awesome cyberpunk movie and anime I've ever loved seemed to be embodied in this game, and given the reputation of Project CD Red this could be one of the best games I might play this generation (or next).

5. Beyond Good and Evil 2: I have a lot of hope for this one and so far it looks like it's going to be an incredible game!

6. Super Smash Bros Ultimate: While I'm ultra hyped for this game, it did fall slightly below my expectations, but I have no doubt it'll be great once it comes out. I can't wait to try out certain characters that have been missing in action since Melee and also to try out the new characters as well, but in the end I'll probably just continue to main Zero Suit Samus and Pikachu :p

7. Daemon X Machina: I'm a sucker for mech games and this one had a Armored Core/Zone of the Enders looks to it during the gameplay scenes. I am very intrigued by this game and look forward to hearing more about it and finally playing it.

8. Battletoads: While not a system seller for me, I am envious of XBONE owners who will get to play this when it finally gets a released. I really hope it has the same level of gameplay variety and challenge that the original has, of course updated in looks for the modern era. This one had me pretty excited when it was announced.

9. Tunic: It genuinely makes me sad that this is a digital game only and that it is an XBONE exclusive. Perhaps one day when I finally get an XBONE for under $100 I'll download this after its been out for a while. The combo if the music and the gameplay had me really wanting to play this one.

10. Shadow of the Tomb Raider: I am properly hyped for this game, but I'm hoping that the graphics are improved a little before launch; many have pointed out how much of a downgrade they are over Rise of the Tomb Raider and I have to agree with them.

kashell

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 04:55:50 pm »
After seeing the port of Tales of Vesperia, I knew that this E3 was a winner. Other things are exciting me, too. These include:

The new Smash. 'DAT ROSTER!

Ghosts of Tsuchima. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Shadows Die Twice. Tenchu + Bloodborne? Gods I hope so.

Thanks to kamikazekeeg for making the threads and keeping us up to date on things.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 06:26:31 pm »
This E3 was so much more lit than expected for me :D

I have about 4 games i'm really excited for. 

I'm a little crushed that Last of Us 2 yet again didn't get a release date.  Yet another trailer to watch for the next 6 months while I imagine what the game will be like to play. Sony's E3 conference to me was pretty much a let down.  Which is odd because I thought for sure Sony was going to just atom bomb the others with crazy releases and force me into buying a PS4.  But truly i'm more likely to buy a One X. :)

Xbox's conference was the largest surprises to me,  because I assumed Nintendo would bring heat with such a new console,  I thought Xbox wouldn't have much in the tank.  But they brought my most anticipated game Forza Horizon 4 to the table with changing seasons and epic new festivals to explore.  If any game made me want to drop money on a One X.  It's FH4 :D.   

And of course KH3 got grouped in with Xbox's conference,  it was truly a slightly sad release date, but at least it's a time frame to look forward to unlike TLOU2. 

Nintendo-   Probably the most heavy hitters I want.  Pokemon Let's go Eevee is probably my most wanted Nintendo game.  It just looks breathtaking.   Is it essentially a highly done remaster of Pokemon Yellow? Except this time you get to actually store the pokemon in a pokeball peripheral?   That's pretty awesome   ;D

Smash I have mixed feeling for,  It feels too much like a port,  not enough new characters.  Maps got ported over.  And it's a 4.5.   But that's ok.  I'm still pumped but would have preferred something more new and widely fresh. 

All and all my top 5 favorite presentations of E3 2018 are

1. Forza Horizon 4
2. Pokemon Let's go pikachu
3. Last of Us 2 a.k.a super mecha zombie slaying lesbian simulator 2018 a.k.a best game ever made (If it'd get a release date :D)
4. Kingdom Hearts 3
5. Smash 

I hope everyone enjoyed E3 and has at least one game to look forward to :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:31:13 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

kashell

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 09:28:43 am »
Some impressions for Sekiro:

https://www.pcgamer.com/embargoed-11am-pdt-sekiro-from-softwares-next-game-subverts-nearly-everything-weve-come-to-expect-from-dark-souls/

I'm not as excited as before. I'd still like to play it, but my enthusiasm decreased.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 09:38:01 am »
Some impressions for Sekiro:

https://www.pcgamer.com/embargoed-11am-pdt-sekiro-from-softwares-next-game-subverts-nearly-everything-weve-come-to-expect-from-dark-souls/

I'm not as excited as before. I'd still like to play it, but my enthusiasm decreased.
I'm still interested.  I want to hear more about it.