Author Topic: E3 2018: Nintendo  (Read 2216 times)

E3 2018: Nintendo
« on: June 11, 2018, 11:19:47 pm »
The final show and a big one for many. 

Personally I think Nintendo could take the lead between Microsoft and Sony if they have an extra couple surprises beyond what they have planned.  Like I think Nintendo sorta almost wins by default due to the fact that everything they have planned to show off, or at least most of it, is releasing this year.  That is a big problem with Microsoft and Sony, because no matter how hype things were, most of the stuff isn't coming out this year.

Nintendo starts at Noon EST on Tuesday.

Re: E3 2018: Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:06:31 am »
Smash Bros Hype!!!   Please be a new game and not a Wii U port  but i'll be extremely excited either way. 

I think Microsoft will be hard to top but Nintendo has plenty of heavy hitters coming like Yoshi and Mario Tennis aces.  I'm hoping both are amazing.  :)

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:14:07 am »
I think Smash is going to be a 4.5 release.  New name/branding, lots of new features, but generally they'll have just taken alot of what they did in 4 and improve upon it in general.  Maybe work in a bigger singleplayer story thing.  This way they aren't saddled with a stigma of "Yet another Wii U port", but they get to to bring a lot of that content over into this game to beef it out even more.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:08:58 am »
I have very high expectations for Nintendo this year. Based on Smash alone I think this will be an excellent year and create tons of hype around that game. I'm also expecting at least one surprise similar to the announcement of Metroid Prime 4 last year. Speaking of, I think we'll get the first trailer for Metroid Prime 4 that shows more than just the title, and maybe even gameplay and a general release window. Other than that I'm not sure what to expect. I'm genuinely excited about Nintendo's E3 conference and I'm glad we're getting it sooner than later tomorrow morning.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:12:16 am »
Listening to a streamer, while done has a joke, my favorite "conspiracy theory" right now, is that NetherRealms, despite Ed Boon teasing about it, didn't announce Mortal Kombat XI as their pattern suggested.  Nothing at Microsoft and Sony.  So what made me laugh, but would be hilarious to see, is that they are waiting to announce it for for the Switch.  The first Mortal Kombat on a Nintendo system in years (Multi-platform still).  And after that, as they move into Smash, which would likely be the end of the Direct, they blow peoples minds, and have Sub Zero show up in Smash.  Everyone's brains explodes, chaos in the streets, cats and dogs living together, madness reigns.

It's super far-fetched, but I want it to happen so much now lol

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:08:27 am »
I wanna see more Pokemon Eevee, yo.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 12:49:02 pm »
The Direct was more basic than I was expecting.  All the Smash stuff was great, I love that they added everyone, and it was certainly that 4.5 status I was expecting, but it looks like a fun time.  Overall not bad, but the only new thing they showed off that I wanted was Daemon X Machina which looks like a cell shaded Armored Core.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 01:57:57 pm »
Nintendo's E3 2018 Nintendo Direct: B-

While I'm mostly happy with Nintendo's E3 Direct, I feel like it could have been way better then it was for many different reason. First off I feel like it was too short and too much of the runtime was spent on games that we already knew were coming out soon. I feel like E3 is an excellent platform to generate hype for your brand and telling people what they already know doesn't really do that. Also, there were too few new game announcements, which I will even include Smash Ultimate (more on that later). I also feel like it was a mistake to announce the new Pokemon games for the Switch prior to E3; If they had waited and lumped that announcement in with everything else and extended the presentation to an hour I feel like the Direct would have been way more memorable. One last thing I feel was mishandled was the lack of a new Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4 trailer, which even if it was a minute long would have really launched this Direct into the stratosphere and made this possibly the highlight of E3.

So, Super Smash Bros Ultimate. I have fairly mixed feelings on this game, but it is pretty much what I expected in that it is more of a Smash 4.5 rather than a full blown Smash 5 that some were hoping for. I think it's really cool that they are including all those old characters in order to make a complete roster, but at the same time I'm disappointed there were only three new characters announced that have never been in a Smash game before. Also Sakurai saying not to expect many new fighters really took some of the wind out of my sails. I really do feel like I'll be purchasing an updated version of Smash on my Wii U this December, which is cool and I am excited, but I feel some diminished returns in that I'd rather have waited another year or so for a true sequel than have an updated version similar to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition.

Aside from Smash, that Mech game looked cool (can't remember the name) and while I'm not a huge fan of Fire Emblem, a new main Fire Emblem game was a cool announcement as well. As I originally said, this Direct could have been way better, but for what it is, it was interesting and cool, and a decent way to end the string of conferences/showcases for this year's E3. It's been fun...mostly.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 02:01:59 pm »
I give them a pass on some stuff like Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3, because they specifically said before the show that they were almost entirely showing off 2018 games.  It's a reason I put them above the Sony showing, because while there was some hype stuff there, only one of the games they showed, Spider-Man is even releasing this year.

Though another tease of something big would've put the show over the edge for sure. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:44:48 pm by kamikazekeeg »

kypherion

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 02:42:11 pm »
Most likely getting a switch for smash.

Snake is back, woohoo.

Cloud is still in.

Overall hyped.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 03:35:11 pm »
Maaaaybe it's because I'm just digesting, but...

The smashs bros announcement was absolutely AMAZING.

I expect a 4.5 release, I couldn't ask for much more...but getting every single character EVER so far? And the vast majortiy of the characters updated, so many new final smashes, and three new characters already? Sure, really deep down in the game's heart, it's not that far from a port. But we'er getting an absolutely INSANE amount of content out of it, more than we could ever ever ask for. It's the absolute best they could do with an iterative sequel smash bros.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 04:56:51 pm »
But is a smash for switch really just an updated version

The art style of the whole game is different,

Not to mention that the battle style also has some new tweaks

Directional air dodge, multiple rolls will become less effective when spammed short hop attacks for all characters those are some basic battle mechanics with chances.

The air and launch speed work really differently in this game, dramatic slomo scenes for strong moves

brand new characters stages etc

It seems like a whole new smash bros game if you would compare it to smash bros melee to brawl to smash 4. All would ad some chances in the battle mechanics, some new charaters some new stages just like this game.

The only things that would seperate brawl from the rest was the sub space emmisary wich is fun for a couple of times but not really smash.

In those terms smash bros for switch is a brand new smash game just like brawl melee or smash 4 instead of mario kart 8 deluxe.

Let's go to the battle system

Smash 64 basics
smash bros melee added side b move (advanced glitch techniques) slightly less hit stun
smash bros brawl added unlimited air dodge (advanced glitch techniques gone) even less hit stun and stronger shield, added smash ball for finisher moves.
smash 4 aside from the no ledge regrab game added nothing compared to brawl just a combination of melee and brawl as far as duration of shielding and hitstun goes. Chain grabs were gone perfect pivot etc.
Smash switch ultimate added directional air dodge, different way of perfect shielding, rolling and air dodge reduces in invisibility time when used allot preventing people from spamming. Those chances look like a pretty big deal if you would ask me for this reason alone it is a new smash game

every smash game tweaks the battle system a bit, ads new stages, items, characters and gives the whole game a different art style

Smash ultimate fits all the criteria wich makes it a new smash game I don't see why people see it as a copy when it does the exact same thing like all former smash game to be considered a unique game in the series. It is most definitely not the same as mario kart 8 deluxe or hyrule warriors ultimate.

Mario kart 8 deluxe art style wise looks literally the same with some new modes a perfect example of an updated version same for hyrule warriors, no comparison in my opinion.

Game looks very promising, can't believe they actually added the joke character ridley, and marth is finally voiced in english  :o
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:39:24 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 05:54:06 pm »
 I'm so beyond stoked.  Who but the big N to drop this on me.  :D :)   (Fanboy intensifies)   This might be the best E3 for me even though I loved Xbox's a lot.

I'm so happy and excited.  Let's go Pikachu got way more insight and gameplay shown.  It's essentially pokemon yellow but just to the highest possible port it could ever be.   You actually get to catch them in a pokeball and carry around your pokemon.  The graphics the ambiance of it makes me feel like i'm a kid again.   If they had made this in 1st grade I woulda been a Ash Ketchum wannabe and probably still will be when this drops.

I know it was annoucned earlier, but this is the first of me hearing about it and it was a great demo of their E3 conference.  The pokeball attatchment is amazing :D.    They say it's going to be 100 dollars.  But in reality it's nintendo.  I'd write them a blank check for said game.

Then next in my list of excitement has to be DBZ Fighter Z coming to switch.  It's just something that needed to happen imo.  And since I never bought the XB1 version, it'll be fresh to me.

Starfox looks very reminsicent of Starfox 64,  it looks faithfully done,  not overly done  and it looks like it might be a blast of a good time.

Smash is what I expected it to be,  a port with a little bit of spinkles on top,  Not overly excited because I have the Wii U version already,  but i'll probably buy it during a sale.  :)     Edit: After reading Swordude's comment, I am more excited.  If the battle system is revised and the animation style is improved.  It is probably worth owning for sure.  :D

Mario Party has left a sour taste the past few entires, but I have high hopes for them to clean it up with Super Mario Party for switch but I certainly won't be buying until reviews come.   I hope we get another fun party game to give the library some dimension.

Overall here is my breakdown of my favorites from each conference. 

Xbox-   Horizon 4, Gears 5, New Halo,  ect..

Playstation-   Super epic Zombie slayer Lesbian Simulator 2018 a.k.a best game ever made, a.k.a please give us a release date :).   and the flute guy. 

Nintendo-   Smash,  Pokemon (be ash ketchum edition),  fire emblem,  star fox.    DBZ port.

Pretty lit year all and all.  I hope everyone enjoyed the E3 events :D

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:03:58 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 07:54:37 pm »
I think it's good to consider how much new code and work went into this game...not only did a big majority of the characters have new features, but every character from brawl and melee had to be recoded into the game, it isn't as simple as taking a lego brick and slapping it on something else. That's far from the usual portwork of simply adding a tiny amount of new content...

Personally I'm really, really excited for it because it gives us something we never really had before, and probably won't have every again-a game where you can get EVERY single smash character in one place. I never thought I'd see Snake in smash ever again, I was skeptical about Wolf, and I never thought there'd be any chance in hell the melee-only characters would return-so being able to choose from EVERYONE, every dlc from the last game, every weird cut character...it's just a dream come true to me! Throwing, at the very least, Ridley and the Inklings in there is just icing on the cake!

Also, one thing I don't think is getting talked about much...they implied you'll spend a lot of the game unlocking characters, which gives me the impression of totally refined, and perhaps totally new game modes. My dream of a brand new Subspace Emisarry is a bit unlikely now, but, I'd totally be down for more extensive single player content since the original smash 4 had little to none.

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 09:00:39 pm »
One thing I really hope for from smash is new ammibo supports, special outfits, powers or something to actually make Amiibos worth time. 

I hope they bring back Smash Melee era trophy collecitng too.  I always loved looking at the table with all the amiibo looking thropies on it.  it added a second dimension to the game.  :)