Author Topic: Finally caving in to 4k gaming. Has anyone decided to go 4k yet?  (Read 2246 times)

ferraroso

Re: Finally caving in to 4k gaming. Has anyone decided to go 4k yet?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 10:07:46 pm »
I've been using a 50" Sharp LC-50U45 for the last four months or so and, although I don't own any 4K compatible console, I'm pretty satisfied with its quality of sound and image. Recommended.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 02:37:02 am »
Today was a happy day everyone :).   I ordered a Xbox One X and it came in and I managed to save up enough to get a 4k TV which is on it's way.   It was a lot of selling and I let go of some things.  But it was worth it :D.

I hope everyone has an great day and thank you for all the awesome answers.

Did you get a 4K TV with HDR? :)

It's a Samsung MU6290 :D.  It has HDR and something called essential black pro for deep black colors.  I am really glad it has HDR since you guys say it's much better with it.  It has a lot of neat features.  Is High Dynamic Range for wider color pallet? 

I was shocked with how cheap the 4k TVs have gotten over the years. It really made me want to make the change.  It was 300 dollars shipped for the 40 inch and Samsung is my favorite brand for TVs.  I'm so excited for it to come :)

Yes, you will get better contrast. Richer smoother color gradients and more shades of white and black (in supporting content).

YouTube, VUDU, Netflix, and many games support HDR now.

Some good content to watch is:
Lost In Space (Netflix)
Guardians of the Galaxy vol2
Wonder Woman.

Good HDR games:
Detroit Become Human (PS4)
Recore Definitive Edition (XBoxOne)
Mirrors Edge (Xbox 360 on X1 via BC)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (either)
Quantum Break (X1)

Another nice tv feature is multizone local dimming (essential black on your Samsung might be similar).

On the TCL 6 series what happens is the TV has a mode where it can adjust the brightness of individual parts of the screen by different amounts.

So if you are watching widescreen content that doesn’t fit the screen the back bars can go to absolute black. If you have brighter areas on the screen they can really push the brightness.

The result is really quite good!

The older TVs adjust the brightness of the entire screen by the same amount and it’s not very effective.

For any fellow Roku TV users I use the following settings (on every input) on my Roku TV:
TV Brightness: Brighter
Picture Mode: Movie
Picture Size: Direct
Advanced Picture Settings
Local Contrast: High
Color Temperature: Normal
LED Motion Clarity: Off
Game Mode: On

The Roku TV saves settings per input, per mode.

So when you enter HDR you need to configure that separately (press * on the remote).

Default is HDR Dark but I prefer HDR Normal or Bright.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:45:48 am by dashv »

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 11:58:26 pm »
Today was a happy day everyone :).   I ordered a Xbox One X and it came in and I managed to save up enough to get a 4k TV which is on it's way.   It was a lot of selling and I let go of some things.  But it was worth it :D.

I hope everyone has an great day and thank you for all the awesome answers.

Did you get a 4K TV with HDR? :)

It's a Samsung MU6290 :D.  It has HDR and something called essential black pro for deep black colors.  I am really glad it has HDR since you guys say it's much better with it.  It has a lot of neat features.  Is High Dynamic Range for wider color pallet? 

I was shocked with how cheap the 4k TVs have gotten over the years. It really made me want to make the change.  It was 300 dollars shipped for the 40 inch and Samsung is my favorite brand for TVs.  I'm so excited for it to come :)

Yes, you will get better contrast. Richer smoother color gradients and more shades of white and black (in supporting content).

YouTube, VUDU, Netflix, and many games support HDR now.

Some good content to watch is:
Lost In Space (Netflix)
Guardians of the Galaxy vol2
Wonder Woman.

Good HDR games:
Detroit Become Human (PS4)
Recore Definitive Edition (XBoxOne)
Mirrors Edge (Xbox 360 on X1 via BC)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (either)
Quantum Break (X1)

Another nice tv feature is multizone local dimming (essential black on your Samsung might be similar).

On the TCL 6 series what happens is the TV has a mode where it can adjust the brightness of individual parts of the screen by different amounts.

So if you are watching widescreen content that doesn’t fit the screen the back bars can go to absolute black. If you have brighter areas on the screen they can really push the brightness.

The result is really quite good!

The older TVs adjust the brightness of the entire screen by the same amount and it’s not very effective.

For any fellow Roku TV users I use the following settings (on every input) on my Roku TV:
TV Brightness: Brighter
Picture Mode: Movie
Picture Size: Direct
Advanced Picture Settings
Local Contrast: High
Color Temperature: Normal
LED Motion Clarity: Off
Game Mode: On

The Roku TV saves settings per input, per mode.

So when you enter HDR you need to configure that separately (press * on the remote).

Default is HDR Dark but I prefer HDR Normal or Bright.

The TV came in today :D.  I am beyond blown away with 4k as a whole. I knew it'd be a awesome upgrade but didn't realize how much detail I was missing out on.  Especially in the enabled One X upgraded games. 

When I first started fiddling around with the picture, The HDR wasn't working too good, it was extremely dulling and mudding out the picture.  But I found out the HDR setting had a eco energy saver thing put on by default and if you toggle it off it gives you your normal contrast settings based on what you set.  :)

You were so right about HDR.  I was playing without it because of the reason I mentioned, but once I figured it out it really just adds so much color depth.  I noticed the biggest difference with blacks.  Usually on a non HDR mode it just was like black, grey and that's about it.  But with HDR it seems like their is 100 different blacks alone.  The shading of darkest blues and greys and how you can see the shading effects was night and day.  It makes night look like night and not just lights off in the house pitch black.  Without it, it almost seemed like the same colors were being used too much and somethings looked like they were the same color but with it,  it opened up the color pallet so much.

I hope everyone has an awesome week. :D

bantha

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 04:58:49 am »
I am thinking I will go 4K next gen. Three reasons :

1. I think the next consoles will be truly powerful enough to deliver proper 4K at decent framerates. I know the XB1X can with some games, but I have given up on MS this gen and hoping for a revival to get me back in.

2. I think a really good 4K HDR will be a decent price by then.

3. I bought an expensive but very nice 55" Samsung TV for my man cave about two years ago. My wife would cut my balls off if I swapped it right now!!  :D

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 03:04:31 pm »
Haha
Well said on #3 Bantha!! I got a 65” Panasonic some years back. It was a replacement for a 60” DLP that didn’t need it. I too would have to protect the balls if I showed up at home with an 80” HDR to replace yet another TV that’s not broken.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 09:53:33 pm »
So glad that my wife is a gamer and I work for a TV company. :)

The 1X is an amazing piece of kit.

Even with the games that are not full 4K, the HDR, faster frame rate, and higher than 1080p resolutions are very noticeable and welcome.

That said, I was also one of those people playing Original Xbox with an HD kit on my 40inch hdtv and Dolby surround system back in the day trying to convince people that there really was a huge difference between Xbox and PS2 graphics/sound.

Most folks didn’t seem to care then either.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.