Author Topic: Finally caving in to 4k gaming. Has anyone decided to go 4k yet?  (Read 2249 times)

Hello everyone :) 

I made a  thread quite a long time ago when 4k was just starting to become a thing asking if anyone would make the push to 4k and most said they wanted to but pricing was the major issue because the technology was so expensive and new at the time but now almost a year later the 4k prices have dropped to pretty affordable levels. And now that we are past tax season, I was wondering if anyone had gone 4k since my last thread?  With E3,  the emphasis, especially on the Xbox end is the future and 4k Gaming.  And it's gotten to hard for me to avoid the epicness :)

I just wanted to see if anyone has been convinced or decided to get a 4K set up yet. And to those who have, was the decision worth it?  :)

I have decided today to start pooling money up to get a 4k TV and One X for all the fall releases like Horizon 4 (4K 60 fps) and other amazing games coming this end of year.  Like kingdom hearts.  I'm not what one would call a graphics snob, but I do prefer better graphics like most would.  I was playing 4k video on a One S at my friends house, and it just looks very much better.  I thought it was minor but it's just too much to avoid enjoying now.  And One X is even better yet. :D

Now that 4k TVs are hovering around at the local walmarts for 200-300 USD or even cheaper for off brand models.  I feel now is an amazing time to make the jump.  :)

I know with standard PS4 and One, it doesn't warrant a change, but for PS4 Pro and One X owners, the differences are almost essentially like next gen consoles. 

Have you gotten a One X, PS4 Pro or 4k TV yet?  Has E3 convinced you to?     

hexen

Re: Finally caving in to 4k gaming. Has anyone decided to go 4k yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:24:07 pm »
I only got a digital TV this year because my brother was getting rid of his from 2011. I've exclusively used CRTs before then. Maybe I'll get something 4k ready in 2035.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 01:29:32 am »
At this point probably not. I just cant see myself dropping cash on a 4K TV along with either PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Its there and thats fine but for me, I dont need it.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 01:38:47 am »
I have a 4K monitor for my gaming PC, but still just do all my console gaming on a 1080p 43" Samsung or an old 27" Sharp CRT I bought new back in 2004. Honestly not enough games or media in general support 4K so it isn't really worth it, yet. I bought a 55" 4K TV with my tax return last year, realized how little content is actually supported by 4K still, and returned it to get something more worth while. Still keeping the monitor, but it'll be a while before I upgrade my TV to a 4K model.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 02:16:49 am »
I haven't seen a whole lot to make it worth it.  Yeah some stuff can look crisper, it's nice when I saw it, but I don't think it's at the point where I feel I need to.  Stuff on my HDTV and PS4 Pro looks great as is and there's no way I'm buying an Xbox One X for actual 4k gaming.  I'll probably give it a few more years, let 4k get as low as it can get price wise, even if it's very affordable right now, and consider it then.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:19:22 am by kamikazekeeg »

kypherion

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 03:29:17 pm »
Ha, my graphics card can do 4k but my monitor is only 1080p.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

maximo310

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 03:44:30 pm »
Wouldn't be worth it to upgrade to 4k at my range ( since what I want with true 4k @ 60fps can only be done w/ reg 1080s/ 1080s Ti and a 120 hz monitor to display at that is pretty expensive). Maybe in like 5 years or so.

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 07:33:15 pm »
No, I haven't yet. I don't own any 4k capable gaming system and my Framemeister upscaler top outs at 1080p. I think a 4K TV is inevitable in the future should I choose to upgrade because they are dirt cheap, even for a large screen. I don't see the advantage really, all of the 4K displays I see display 1080p and 720p worse than my 1080p TV.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 04:03:28 am »
I’ve been 4K HDR gaming since October 2017 (Xbox One X and PS4 Pro).

I have zero intention of ever going back to 1080P.

If I have a choice between PS4 Pro and X1X (multi-plat) I now pick X1X every time.

Games like Detroit Become Human (PS4 Pro) and Recore Definitive Edition (X1X) look amazing and have liquid smooth frame rates.

I have two 4K gaming TVs. One is a Sharp 55inch Roku TV with HDR. I’ve recently upgraded to the 2018 TCL 6 series.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/6/4/17417402/tcl-6-series-tv-review-4k-hdr-dolby-vision-price-specs

Full disclosure, I work for Roku.

But make no mistake, I am a true gamer and don’t put up with crappy picture quality or display lag.

The two TVs I mentioned above have been reviewed by multiple independent places like AVSForum and applauded for their picture quality, gaming response time, and affordable price tag.

When I say they are good I mean they are “you can legit hold your own against the Yellow Devil in Mega Man 1 and Mega Man 3” level good.

I know because that’s one of the many ways I personally verified we didn’t have unacceptable lag.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 03:21:01 pm »
Today was a happy day everyone :).   I ordered a Xbox One X and it came in and I managed to save up enough to get a 4k TV which is on it's way.   It was a lot of selling and I let go of some things.  But it was worth it :D.

I hope everyone has an great day and thank you for all the awesome answers.

rayne315

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 05:08:04 pm »
its not realistically feasible for me just because of my room dimensions. the main thing with 4k is that there are 4x as many pixels as 1080p so theoretically the optimal sitting distance of TV's has been reduced for the same size tv. by my calculations to have a 4k tv optimally placed in my living room would require me to either move my couch 3 feet closer to the tv leaving a very unattractive living area or get a 70-80inch tv. the prices of 4k have reduced a bunch but not enough to make that sort of purchase realistic when what I have currently works well with my room.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 04:09:09 am »
Today was a happy day everyone :).   I ordered a Xbox One X and it came in and I managed to save up enough to get a 4k TV which is on it's way.   It was a lot of selling and I let go of some things.  But it was worth it :D.

Did you get a 4K TV with HDR? :)

argyle

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 11:33:47 am »

I was just about to say...I went 4K last year, grabbed a cheap but fantastic IMO $500 55" set (a Hisense) and I love it. But for me, even tho the extra crispness of the higher resolution is nice, HDR is the real "wow" factor. The added pop it adds is just amazing, and instantly stands out to anyone that sees it. My wife is jealous (we have 2 TVs in the den because we both game) so I'll probably be upgrading her sometime later this year. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

aliensstudios

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 06:20:48 pm »
its not realistically feasible for me just because of my room dimensions. the main thing with 4k is that there are 4x as many pixels as 1080p so theoretically the optimal sitting distance of TV's has been reduced for the same size tv. by my calculations to have a 4k tv optimally placed in my living room would require me to either move my couch 3 feet closer to the tv leaving a very unattractive living area or get a 70-80inch tv. the prices of 4k have reduced a bunch but not enough to make that sort of purchase realistic when what I have currently works well with my room.
4K is actually only double the resolution of 1080p HD. 4K is 3840 x 2160, whilst 1080p is 1920 x 1080. The 4K I think refers to the nearly 4000 horizontal pixel count (3840) which is a bit misleading.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 09:06:41 pm »

It's a Samsung MU6290 :D.  It has HDR and something called essential black pro for deep black colors.  I am really glad it has HDR since you guys say it's much better with it.  It has a lot of neat features.  Is High Dynamic Range for wider color pallet? 

I was shocked with how cheap the 4k TVs have gotten over the years. It really made me want to make the change.  It was 300 dollars shipped for the 40 inch and Samsung is my favorite brand for TVs.  I'm so excited for it to come :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:09:45 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »