Author Topic: Do you guys have a list of rare/uncommon/sought-after retro games?  (Read 3155 times)

Or is that just something you have to commit to memory?

I'd like a list and then when I have a little extra cash laying around I could just cross something off.

It could be a very large list but I guess a lot of systems have a baseline price for the games and then a relative minority that elevate a bit higher in price.

Do you think it's possible to come up with a list of all of the more sought after retro titles or would this be a mammoth undertaking?

There's this website: http://www.rarityguide.com/
with rarity guides, you can select a system and sort by rarity. If it's accurate I guess that could take the work out of it.

kypherion

Re: Do you guys have a list of rare/uncommon/sought-after retro games?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 01:05:45 pm »
No. If I have money at the moment to spend I buy whatever's at hand.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

castlevaniaguy86

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 04:46:43 pm »
I always keep an updated list of rare games for my main systems on hand just in case I find it in the wild that way I'll know & not overlook it. These days a lot of titles have been off the grid for so long they are coming up as rare & hard to find so I find it best to stay as up to date as possible.
CastlevaniaGuy86

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 07:01:22 pm »
you need to figure out wich systems and price range first that will help narrow it down. you thinking thousands on somthing like magical chase for turbografx or 100 dollar range like shinning force 3 saturn or under 50 range like mega man nes. it is good to do some research on youtube just incase you come across something like a magical chase in the wild although very unlikely it's good to know about just incase.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:12:15 am »
I don't keep a list of rare games. I keep a list of games I want. I honestly don't give a flying flip if my games are rare, as long as they're fun to me.

I do have a small in-head list of rare titles, but it's nothing special. I think we all know if we find Little Samson, Earthbound, etc. in the wild we should pick them up!

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 10:17:39 am »
I always keep an updated list of rare games for my main systems on hand
When will this list leak to the rest of the forum?

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 12:04:02 pm »
I have an ongoing list of games I'm on the lookout for, some are incredibly rare and some are very common. I buy what sounds interesting and fun to me regardless of rarity. Ironically, I've found that most rare games or games that re considered "hidden gems" are vastly inferior to similar games that sold in the millions. I feel like if a rare game is even remotely fun this gives collectors ammo to over hype a game until its price skyrockets. I've seen this happen countless times.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 02:10:11 pm »
I have an ongoing list of games I'm on the lookout for, some are incredibly rare and some are very common. I buy what sounds interesting and fun to me regardless of rarity. Ironically, I've found that most rare games or games that re considered "hidden gems" are vastly inferior to similar games that sold in the millions. I feel like if a rare game is even remotely fun this gives collectors ammo to over hype a game until its price skyrockets. I've seen this happen countless times.

Yet there are also plenty of examples of these games being equal or superior than other cheaper alternatives of certain genre's.

On topic

I never keep lists of rare games It's not really fun it gives the need to hunt for certain titles wich you might probably never get unless your willing to spend.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 02:17:51 pm »

Yet there are also plenty of examples of these games being equal or superior than other cheaper alternatives of certain genre's.

On topic

I never keep lists of rare games It's not really fun it gives the need to hunt for certain titles wich you might probably never get unless your willing to spend.
But all I can find in the wild in 2018 is sports titles for PS2 man.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 05:37:24 pm »
I just learned what was hot. I never had a list.
If I’m out digging and I find something I’ve never heard of, I google it. I check pricecharting.com,  gamevaluenow.com, eBay.com to see what something is selling for.

You’ll remember more stuff the longer you’re in the collecting game.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 05:40:43 pm »
If I’m out digging and I find something I’ve never heard of, I google it. I check pricecharting.com,  gamevaluenow.com, eBay.com to see what something is selling for.

I just use your vgcollect collection from your signature as my rare game list.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 05:49:41 pm »

I just use your vgcollect collection from your signature as my rare game list.

Don’t use that. There’s a TON of trash in there too. For every Little Samson there’s 50 Karate Kids.  ;)

Flashback2012

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 09:17:31 am »
Yes. It's my wanted list on this site.

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 10:41:15 am »

On topic

"plenty" is definitely a stretch, but yes, there are some.

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 01:13:55 pm »

On topic

"plenty" is definitely a stretch, but yes, there are some.

if buy rare you mean at the very least the 50+ range for allot of genre's there are not that many cheap alternatives unless your including compilations modern releases for ps4 etc.

run & gun, shoot em ups action platfomers are some genre's where the best games reside in that expensive range , allot of the cheaper titles with a few exceptions aren't that great or the options are just bare bones.

I agree that in the normal platform games where mario and sonic reside and in the survival horror genre that indeed those common games is the stuff where it's at to name some examples but plenty of genre's where the cheap titles aren't the best not to mention that if were talking about 150 + value games there aren't that many to begin with and from my experience is a solid % wich at least is equal if not better than more common alternatives.

Look at snes and sega plenty of genre's where the best games reside in the more rare or sought after expensive titles. If your going for that 30 $ or less list There are no winners in there except for some mascot games like sonic & mario and some of the common arcade games wich are good but not the best a bit exaterated but were talking about the best games for certain genre's. The choices are limited in my opinion if were talking about the best games for the system.

Everyone has there opinion but from my experience I can't agree that there are only some games that are better than ones that are common plenty of genre's that just don't deliver.

I'm not saying that if a game is slightly better it justifies a sometimes 10 times higher price but if were talking about the best games there is a very solid amount of the rare games wich are in my opinion among the top especially in the 16 bit and 32 bit era. Name me an rpg in that era wich are among the best wich are affordable I'm pretty sure the more affordable ones where the ones with less quality excluding ps1.

And speaking of common games being better than rare games, say the saturn are there actually any cheap good games I mean seriously  :o Your not going to tell me that on the saturn the best games are the common ones.

Clock work night, panzer dragoon maybe, but your going to tell me that the saturn has common games wich are superior over the sought after rare ones, for saturn  the common library does not even stand a chance the way I see it I must be missing something the more interesting games are in the more expensive price range if I am not mistaken.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:02:55 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!