Author Topic: Complete GameCube Console Database Update!  (Read 2307 times)

telly

Complete GameCube Console Database Update!
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:43:07 am »
Hey everyone,

I wanted to provide a “final” update on my project to make the most complete GameCube list on the internet. I wanted to post a new topic so that people who aren’t regulars on VGC can see what I did and contact me if they have questions or would like to help track down those last few pesky releases, without having to dig through my workload thread or my actual excel sheet. I think at this point I’m going to be stopping my search thus far, as I’m happy with how everything looks at this point. There are still some edits that will be trickling in as I get some more images edited, but otherwise, it's pretty much all done!

The total count was 186 console variations, and by far the hardest thing was  trying to figure out how to name everything. GameCube boxes don’t have a lot of visual differences from release to release. Most of them will have the same item number and barcode and only have different pictures on them from release to release, which makes it tricky to make different names for everything. Thanks to tripredacus for helping me out with that!

There are also several mainboard revisions that change the internal structure of the GameCube, but these changes are not represented on the box in practically any way, unlike Sony’s very meticulous SPCH numbering for the PS2. They may be connected to the way Nintendo changed the back of the console’s box several times over it’s lifespan, I'm not sure. Either way, since no picture of these consoles on ebay has a picture of the GameCube physically taken apart, I would need to buy all of these consoles with all the different boxes by myself to confirm, and it’s not worth that much effort to be honest.  :o

How I named things
  • I kept from including colors in the VGC title as they are usually not a part of the actual box title, but they are in the standard releases to help separate everything. The only consoles that actually have a color explicitly stated are the Japanese/Korean releases, and the Platinum special editions. Everything else will just say it includes a "_____ color Gamecube" in the bundle, if at all. Interestingly, in Japan the standard colors are “Orange” (オレンジ)  “Violet” (バイオレツト) “Silver” (シルバー) and “Black” (ブラック). I believe they are the same in Korea.
  • I only used console models (DOL-001, etc.) if absolutely necessary, in particular to differentiate standard editions. Otherwise, they went in the description field if at all
  • I used TLD codes for releases and bundles with the same names to make it easier to see which console was released to. I also put the country(s) it was released in in the description

Things that are incomplete/still need work
  • I’m sure there are quite a few european releases that I missed, but it’s difficult for me to track down all of them. I think I got almost if not all the heavy hitters though. Feel free to look through my sheet and see if there’s anything you can help out with! They should all have comments that say what's missing exactly
  • In particular, there is one odd GameCube with the Pikmin 2 bundle released in Japan. All I can find is a stock scan on GameBaz, and nothing else. I’ve resorted to asking someone in Japan to help me out, and he couldn’t find anything either. I’m refraining from adding the item to the database until I can get an actual photo of it. It’s still in the excel listing though
  • I have attempted to catalogue the DEV kits as well for the GameCube, but finding professional-looking images for the site has been difficult especially for the ones that didn't come in a box, like the NPDP-GDEV, NPDP-GW/SW, and NPDP-GBOX. In any case, these should be well represented to the best of my abilities.

The link to my sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11pUkCXGyzjQi6MSqgH-2bTZOzwUXrq8hrZZFh0mhNOw/edit?usp=sharing
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

Re: Complete GameCube Console Database Update!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 10:18:14 am »
Its a huge task, congrats on getting it done!

Now if someone could do this for Xbox consoles. >_>
 ;D

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 10:23:05 am »
Great job telly, congrats.

And also a thank you to trip afcourse who is doing alot for the other consoles. We forget that sometimes.

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 06:06:53 pm »
Excellent job Telly! You've done a masterfully impressive job of cataloguing it all. Great work.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

telly

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 08:47:02 pm »
Thanks guys :) I'm honestly thinking that the next console that's calling to me is the 3DS. I would probably not do xbox since they have all those super limited editions haha  :o
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 09:26:50 pm »
Thanks guys :) I'm honestly thinking that the next console that's calling to me is the 3DS. I would probably not do xbox since they have all those super limited editions haha  :o
The 3DS has more variations than you can shake a stick at... Good luck if you go for it. Should be a lot of fun
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

telly

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 09:41:07 pm »
The 3DS has more variations than you can shake a stick at... Good luck if you go for it. Should be a lot of fun

The names would be so confusing I'm sure. 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS and 2DS XL, etc.  :o
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 09:52:06 am »
Silverbow tried to change the barcode on this entry: Nintendo GameCube - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Bonus Set (Bonus Nintendo GameCube 2 Controllers!)
https://vgcollect.com/item/118706

Current item number is: DOL S M006
Current barcode is: 045496941567
This is the only one of this release in the database. There are variants on this release, in an as-yet unknown quantity.

Others.
DOL S M006 - 045496941550
picture: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5HcAAOSw9VNdZYNH/s-l1600.jpg
ebay: https://ebay.com/itm/392408805663

DOL S WM02 - 045496941574
picture: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/408AAOSwkwha8UGk/s-l1600.jpg
ebay: https://ebay.com/itm/303407722400

telly

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 10:14:47 am »
I suppose we can make another entry with the item # in the name?
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 10:25:08 am »
I suppose we can make another entry with the item # in the name?

Need to validate the barcode you put on the entry.

telly

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 11:33:51 am »
I looked through all the images that I have and can't verify that barcode, so I suppose we can delete it. It may have been an error on my part with all the barcodes I was sifting through, not sure  :-[

EDIT: And I checked about 4 other listings on Ebay outside of the ones you posted
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:38:57 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 12:06:14 pm »
Ok I have change the entry's barcode to 045496941550.

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 06:08:48 pm »
I rechecked my box, and it really does have the following:

DOL S M006
0 45496 94755 0

I would include my camera images but have not been able to figure out how to include them in a post. Do I first have to download them to a service to get a URL link?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:04:38 pm by SilverBow »

telly

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 06:31:05 pm »
I upload my images to imgur because I can't figure out how to upload them with this forum's tools
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)