Author Topic: (edit) My Own Opinon With Modern Consoles  (Read 1269 times)

(edit) My Own Opinon With Modern Consoles
« on: June 17, 2018, 05:18:19 pm »
This is sorta a game warning thread for those who want to buy a modern game

One of my family member mentioned a modern game I think it is for the PlayStation 4 that took him over 12 hours on a fast DSL connection before playing it even though he had the disc,

I know not all games are that big and are fun regardless but read what I said below I edited this topic title after seether's post

I was really venting so beware

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:59:06 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Name Some Games That You Need To Download And Already Have The Disc
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 05:24:11 pm »
Literally any current gen game.

[/thread]

Re: (edit) My Own Opinion With Modern Consoles
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 07:58:12 pm »

[/thread]

I did hear there were a few games that on the PlayStation 4 that played off the disc. But I also read some bullshit about the newer consoles not being powerful enough to actually read the disc. If you ask me that is crap. I mean the PlayStation 3 and Xbox360 but mostly on PS3 you could literly store 1000's of games on the hard drive with most patches and save slots taking up 1 or 2 gigabytes max on a 500 or 250 gigabyte system looking at the PS3 super slim and the Xbox360's. with a harddrive

Not 10 or 20 maximum like now adays, 500 gigabytes goes a short way as far a storage goes for games that are literally 50 gigabytes large, >:( do the math.

How does anyone collect for the modern consoles? without erasing some of their older save files on the hard drive and having to reinstall them to play again, not to mention big files eventually where out the hard drive more quickly >:(

My opinion so far is not spending over $250 (6-17-2018) on something that has cheap plastic and no guts to run the software to me it is a waste of money. you can buy a cheap PC new for $85 now

goggle says 2016

How big is the average PS4 hard drive?
PlayStation 4 Actual Hard Drive Space. The PlayStation 4 boasts a massive 500GB internal hard drive, but how much of it can you actually access? After tinkering with it, it turns out most of the space is available for games or apps. 407 GB of the 500 GB hard drive is available, with 93 GB of storage saved for the OS

How big is a ps4 game on average?
Witness GTA 5, a late-gen game if there ever was one. So games run from about 30-50, and we can average them at 40 gb for argument's sake and exclude the idea of DLC. At that size, a 500 gb hard drive will fit 12 games

How much space does an Xbox one game take up?
Witness GTA 5, a late-gen game if there ever was one. So games run from about 30-50, and we can average them at 40 gb for argument's sake and exclude the idea of DLC. At that size, a 500 gb hard drive will fit 12 games. So once you've got a full hard drive, you'll need to uninstall some games if you want to play more

How many games does a 500gb Xbox one hold?
So games run from about 30-50, and we can average them at 40 gb for argument's sake and exclude the idea of DLC. At that size, a 500 gb hard drive will fit 12 games. So once you've got a full hard drive, you'll need to uninstall some games if you want

sorry but that sounds like is a scam for even the working man sorry :'(

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:05:06 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 10:52:42 pm »

[/thread]

I did hear there were a few games that on the PlayStation 4 that played off the disc. But I also read some bullshit about the newer consoles not being powerful enough to actually read the disc. If you ask me that is crap. I mean the PlayStation 3 and Xbox360 but mostly on PS3 you could literly store 1000's of games on the hard drive with most patches and save slots taking up 1 or 2 gigabytes max on a 500 or 250 gigabyte system looking at the PS3 super slim and the Xbox360's. with a harddrive

Not 10 or 20 maximum like now adays, 500 gigabytes goes a short way as far a storage goes for games that are literally 50 gigabytes large, >:( do the math.

How does anyone collect for the modern consoles? without erasing some of their older save files on the hard drive and having to reinstall them to play again, not to mention big files eventually where out the hard drive more quickly >:(

My opinion so far is not spending over $250 (6-17-2018) on something that has cheap plastic and no guts to run the software to me it is a waste of money. you can buy a cheap PC new for $85 now

goggle says 2016

How big is the average PS4 hard drive?
PlayStation 4 Actual Hard Drive Space. The PlayStation 4 boasts a massive 500GB internal hard drive, but how much of it can you actually access? After tinkering with it, it turns out most of the space is available for games or apps. 407 GB of the 500 GB hard drive is available, with 93 GB of storage saved for the OS

How big is a ps4 game on average?
Witness GTA 5, a late-gen game if there ever was one. So games run from about 30-50, and we can average them at 40 gb for argument's sake and exclude the idea of DLC. At that size, a 500 gb hard drive will fit 12 games

How much space does an Xbox one game take up?
Witness GTA 5, a late-gen game if there ever was one. So games run from about 30-50, and we can average them at 40 gb for argument's sake and exclude the idea of DLC. At that size, a 500 gb hard drive will fit 12 games. So once you've got a full hard drive, you'll need to uninstall some games if you want to play more

How many games does a 500gb Xbox one hold?
So games run from about 30-50, and we can average them at 40 gb for argument's sake and exclude the idea of DLC. At that size, a 500 gb hard drive will fit 12 games. So once you've got a full hard drive, you'll need to uninstall some games if you want

sorry but that sounds like is a scam for even the working man sorry :'(

I'll try to answer your frustrations as best as I can.  As I think current gen consoles are awesome but I do agree they aren't for everyone :)

1. You don't have to delete all the saves when you uninstall a game from your library, the saves still save for when you reinstall.  So this makes redownloading when you want to replay easy. 

2. 12 hours to download a game can be attributed to a slow internet connection,  I usually get 1-2 hours for the most massive games on the market and I have average internet.  :)  But this goes by location too.  I know some rural places and some states have been internets.

3. You are right about it being annoying to keep installing games and running out of space but games are getting extremely large.  This has affected most consoles and even PCs.   But 15-30 games is plenty to play and than you can swap ones when you want to add a new one.  It's an inconvenience but still a good trade off for all the epic games and how amazing the consoles are.

The modern age has come with a lot of must install b.s and so much pay to play DLC.  It really does hurt the generation.  But the generation has also brought many great things.  Like enhanced visuals, 60 fps at 4k,  Virtual Reality,  amazing controllers,  and some of the best UI interfaces imaginable.  PS4 and Xbox One are some of my favorites to ever play. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:55:52 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 11:24:11 pm »
1. You don't have to delete all the saves when you uninstall a game from your library, the saves still save for when you reinstall.  So this makes redownloading when you want to replay easy. 

Adding to that, the consoles also utilize cloud storage for game saves, so there's no need to delete any save data. You just need to log in, even on a completely different console, and your saves will be accessible.

3. You are right about it being annoying to keep installing games and running out of space but games are getting extremely large.  This has affected most consoles and even PCs.   But 15-30 games is plenty to play and than you can swap ones when you want to add a new one.  It's an inconvenience but still a good trade off for all the epic games and how amazing the consoles are.
Also adding to that is that if storage is that much of a concern, besides there also being larger storage-capacity models of the systems, the PS4 and Xbox One both support external hard drives, allowing a person to store more games if they so desired.

As for why games all install nowadays vs playing off of the disc? Simply put, it allows the games to load and run faster and smoother and it is much less wear and tear on the console. Sure, with the previous generation, installation was optional for most games, but even then there was a noticeable difference in how well the games ran installed instead of from the disc (The Bethesda games being great examples, as if they weren't installed, besides the longer load times, your system would sound like an airplane trying to take off while the game ran).

kypherion

Re: (edit) My Own Opinon With Modern Consoles
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 11:56:26 pm »
Yeah, installations and stuff is a pain. Definitely something retro games win out against modern ones.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 09:04:12 am »
To answer your question of 'how does one collect for a modern system'? Both my PS4 and my Xbox One have 4TB externals hooked up to them. This means that between the 500GB in the system & the external, I should have space for 80-90 games. Considering I don't own that many games for ANY machine I own, I think I'll be good for awhile. And if someday, that's not enough? I can just get another external.

Having said that, I hate that I HAVE to do that at all! I get that games play better from installs & so on, but I still feel like I should have a CHOICE in the matter. Plus, considering that the Switch can run amazing games like Breath of the Wild with less than half the gigs of some PS4 games, I feel like some developers might be taking the availability of cloud saves & big drives to get lazy with their file condensing. I watch the videos of the unused content that gets left on discs- I wonder how much space I'm being forced to devote to inaccessible beta code.

Yes, I am aware that big games are hard to program for, removing or condensing the code can cause bugs and errors, it's probably the money guys not allowing them the time to fix these things, etc... but if I'm going to have to put out a couple hundred bucks on additional storage, I think I can at least voice a concern on the matter! And Nintendo doesn't get a free pass here, either- they have to keep their gigs down because their system's drives are embarrassingly low. I mean, I've got more gigs in old convention photos than some Nintendo machines can hold!

tl;dr- all the companies are weird about memory, and just becuase there's reasons & workarounds doesn't make it any less annoying.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 01:13:11 pm »
From a technical stand point developers what to move away from optical because it is really slow. Have fun trying to loading a game that takes up 6GB of RAM from optical drive with a read speed of 30MB/s. Loading games off solid state or harddrive is much faster. That's why most games install. Your disc is pretty much just a key to play the game.

Publishers also what to move away from physical media because it gives them more power over their products. - No more renting or trading.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 11:12:34 pm »
On my Xbox games usually take between 3-6 hours to install, I think the one that took the longest was Gears of War 4 which took like 10 hours. However when I reinstalled some of the games I deleted it took like 5 minutes to install them again.

On PS4 I've played some games that didn't need to be installed like the uncharted games.