Author Topic: STEAM ADDS OPTION TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU'VE SPENT ON ALL YOUR GAMES  (Read 2833 times)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/06/19/steam-adds-option-to-see-how-much-youve-spent-on-all-your-games

Steam has added an option that allows you to see how much you've spent on the platform. You may regret looking at it.

The "External Funds Used" tool - quietly released at the end of last month - allows you to see how much you've spent on Steam in total. According to the tool's description, the total shown is "a sum of external funds that have been applied to your Steam account, either to purchase games on the Steam store or fund your Steam Wallet."

https://help.steampowered.com/en/accountdata/AccountSpend

Soo ...

I have been on Steam since 13 September 2010, coming up to 8 years service now.
And I have 386 games on there.

This is what my spend things says:

External Funds Used

This is a sum of external funds that have been applied to your Steam account, either to purchase games on the Steam store or fund your Steam Wallet. This value is used to determine if an account is a "Limited User Account".

Type                   Time Calculated             Amount in USD
TotalSpend   2018-06-20 20:22:08.223    $1,513.81

1513.81 USD = £1149.13 GBP

Divided by 8 years that's only £143.64 a year, i.e. less than the cost of three AAA releases on launch day per annum, however damn to see it laid out like that is really something.

Here's the kicker though, I have barely played anything I purchased on Steam. The number of titles I have played for really any length of time is minuscule. I basically pee-peed a grand up the wall on stuff I haven't played.

desocietas

Re: STEAM ADDS OPTION TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU'VE SPENT ON ALL YOUR GAMES
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 07:25:03 pm »
Pretty interesting. My numbers weren't that high (not quite $1000) over the many years I've had Steam, but I also know that I pay for my FF14 sub through my Steam wallet as well as gifts to others. This obviously also does not include games I've gotten through Humble Bundle or other ways. Still neat though!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 07:31:18 pm »
3500 bucks over 14 years lol I think that counts only steam related sales, so that could be abit more in general as I've bought physical PC games for awhile and at a certain point, they were mostly just steam codes with unnecessary disks in them.  It comes down to roughly 250 bucks a year though, which isn't really to bad as a hobby.  Honestly thought it would be worse, but I've bought a lot of games on Steam on sale and getting stuff through humble bundles.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 07:56:31 pm »
3500 bucks over 14 years lol I think that counts only steam related sales, so that could be abit more in general as I've bought physical PC games for awhile and at a certain point, they were mostly just steam codes with unnecessary disks in them.  It comes down to roughly 250 bucks a year though, which isn't really to bad as a hobby.  Honestly thought it would be worse, but I've bought a lot of games on Steam on sale and getting stuff through humble bundles.
I'm quite certain I was more of a console gamer for the time I've had Steam so probably spent more on XB360, XB1, PS4, Switch games.

Not to mention the cost of my PC (£1000), XB1 (£430), PS4 (£350), Switch (£310)  totaling £2,090 in hardware alone.

£2090 on gaming hardware, £1149 on Steam games, plus whatever I've spent on console games over the years (which will be a lot I bought many RPGs day one like Dragon Age Inqusition, Mass Effect Andromeda, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 which are £200 themselves), my switch games were probably another £200 (Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Skyrim) because they don't drop in value much and I got them close to launch.

All in I must have spent something like £5000 - £7000 on gaming the last few years and that may be a conservative estimate. Don't really think about it buying here and there. I once added up my ebay spend and saw I'd spent £700 or £800 over the course of a year primarily on video games. Most of which I just traded back in while they had value and now I have very little to show for the money.

I figured I got my money worth by playing a game to completion and playing more than an hour per £1 spent so can let go of the games.

I don't think I really regret anything. What else is there to spend money on? What better thing than entertainment? Is it really such a bad thing to spend a good whack of your earnings on games?

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:04:18 pm »
I don't have that many games on steam, but I remember I got the 3D Realms pack for I think $25.00 and it came with just about all the 3D Realms PC games all the Duke Nukems for PC and Shadow Warrior with all the expansions on both those games.

I think the pack came with like 20 full games or more with all the expansion pack for all 20 or so games off steam a few years back.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:37 pm »
Heh, $6,500 over the past decade. This is probably where most of that money went:

At least I can cash that out for most of what I've put into my steam account if I so wanted.

hexen

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:13:16 am »
Interesting. I'm at $459.53. I mostly buy bundles and sales, I've only bought a few full priced games. I have 136 games, but a lot where from Indiebox who's cost is obviously not accounted here. My account is a month away from 7 years old.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 12:46:36 am »
$268.45 which is due to me not having a gaming capable PC of any kind so I have mostly stuck with older games that I knew I could run so I limited myself as a result.

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 09:44:53 am »
I don't log into Steam's website. When they add it to the profile options on the client, then I'd be interested to look.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 11:15:32 am »
I'm honestly afraid to look. I do buy 95% of the games I own on there (and GOG) during their sales, but I have a pretty big Steam library.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 11:42:28 am »
Well... it's only show you how much you've spend on Steam and for me that's only a very small fraction of what i've paid for my Steam games, most of what i own on Steam comes from bundles and physical releases (with Steam key inside the box). That option show that i have spend $1,460.61 over the almost six years that my account exist (September 20 2012) but i have ... 4294 games on my account (and i don't even count the DLC since i try to get all the soundtrack i can get) so yeah it's way off the mark of what i really paid.

There are two others site that can calcul the value of all the games you own on your Steam account (they won't show you how much you paid on Steam since... well it's not Steam they don't have access to that data) but if you only buy your games on Steam it could be interesting (and probably disappointing) to compare the value of what you own on your account and what you paid on Steam.

https://steamcalculator.com
https://steamdb.info/calculator/

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 11:58:48 am »
I’m at $84.88, and I have around 150 games. Gotta love those humble bundles!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 12:49:12 pm »
The only Steam games I have are the ones they gave away for free, or games I already had on disc that were compatible with Steam servers. So my Steam total is a big fat $0.

I used to use GoG a lot more than Steam. Now I like never game on my PC.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 01:27:49 pm »
Steam Summer Sale is upon us. Time to increase those lifetime totals :p

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 01:29:17 pm »
I have to say, it seems like the Steam sale isn't what it was in previous years; the discounts don't seem as enticing as they were last year or the year before that. Anyone else feel this way?