Author Topic: Finding retro games isn't fun unless they're $5 or less  (Read 2055 times)

Finding retro games isn't fun unless they're $5 or less
« on: June 21, 2018, 05:49:23 am »
I don't know, hunting for retro games just doesn't feel good unless it's also hunting for a bargain.

There's a store I could go to and just buy stuff without looking for it but that would bring me no satisfaction. I don't get excited to step into a retro game store really despite all of the supply of retro games there because they're marked up at retail price - but when I find that one little gem going for a buck in a goodwill - I feel absolutely elated, like I just found gold.

Maybe I'm not looking for games but for the high of a good deal.

Re: Finding retro games isn't fun unless they're $5 or less
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 05:53:08 am »
The lack of things at thrift stores, garage sales, car boot sales, flea markets, goodwill stores etc. really makes me think the best days of this hobby are behind us.

I want to go out and look for things, you know have that discovery. I almost don't even want it if I'm just ordering off ebay - I don't have the same good feeling or attachment about the item.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 06:31:06 am »
Pro tip

Get an emulator on pc

Get a usb controller of choice and your set

Plenty of exploration for zero costs aside from the cheap usb controller.

Playing retro games has never been any easier or cheaper as it is today I don't see the issue here it will only get allot easier as the years go by.

When retrogames were cheap emulation was trash even for 16 bit and 8 bit games pirates were pretty nice considering that emulation wasn't that great.

Now emulation for 16 bit and less is excellent near perfect, even 3d systems are on the rise for excellent emulation and emulation in general is allot easier to get than it was back than.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:42:22 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 07:00:46 am »
Pro tip

Get an emulator on pc

Get a usb controller of choice and your set

Plenty of exploration for zero costs aside from the cheap usb controller.

Playing retro games has never been any easier or cheaper as it is today I don't see the issue here it will only get allot easier as the years go by.

When retrogames were cheap emulation was trash even for 16 bit and 8 bit games pirates were pretty nice considering that emulation wasn't that great.

Now emulation for 16 bit and less is excellent near perfect, even 3d systems are on the rise for excellent emulation and emulation in general is allot easier to get than it was back than.
The instant gratification is exactly what I don't want - I don't want to go to a store, buy on eBay or use an emulator.

Emulators aren't a good deal because they have no value, anyone can go use them.

I want the high of finding something tangible at a good price and in 2018 that's harder than ever.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:14:48 am »
The instant gratification is exactly what I don't want - I don't want to go to a store, buy on eBay or use an emulator.

Emulators aren't a good deal because they have no value, anyone can go use them.

I want the high of finding something tangible at a good price and in 2018 that's harder than ever.

Quite simply, you need a new hobby. Games being in every yard sale for cheap was a direct result of games having little perceived value. Call it nostalgia, call it the Pawn Stars Effect, call it people just remembering old games are fun- but these things are no longer value-less, and people will seek to get 'what it's worth'.

If you largely seek just 'the thrill of the hunt', then there's other things that can be had for under-value secondhand to hunt for. Sliver's a good one- lots of people donate old sliver not realizing it's scrap value, so if you can find it you can make some money. If you still want games, you need to be largely focused on the 'dark era'- the stuff that's too old for game store but not retro yet. Wii games are squarely in this window right now. PS2 and OG Xbox are kind of there as well (backwards compatibility & higher age is pushing these up to retro now.)

For me personally, it's very much more about the game than the find. Don't get me wrong, a good find is still fantastic- but my collection is big enough now that the games I seek aren't going to be easy to find, even in my retro gamer paradise of the Pacific Northwest. I'd rather spend more on something I really want then less on something I kind of want.

What I probably enjoy most- and it's rare- is the surprise favorite. You know, you buy a game for a buck or two, and it ends up just clicking with you? To the point that if you'd known when it was new, you'dve paid full price? Now THAT is awesome. Last one of those for my was Enslaved: Journey to the West. Bought it at a Gamestop for 3 bucks, becuase it was 3 bucks, and just fell in love with it. I actually bought it again 2 days later becuase I found a version with a mini-comic pack in. Probably the best game for personal value since I got my Saturn.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 10:10:31 am »

Quite simply, you need a new hobby.
No u

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 11:14:39 am »
I hate to say it, but you missed the boat by about 4-years. The days of walking into a thrift store and having a decent chance of walking out with a stack of $3 good SNES titles are over. Everyone and there mom knows that retro gaming is hot and people know if they see an old Genesis or N64 cart they're staring at their retirement or a down payment on a house *sarcasm*. That isn't to say that good deals can't be found, in fact my best place to hunt is actually a used media store where they regularly get games traded in. Sure, they typically know what they get and price them around ebay, but occasionally they don't or are too lazy to look something more obscure up and throw it on the shelf for well under ebay. As far as the more traditional hunting spots like flea markets, thrift stores, pawn shops and the like, they really aren't what they used to be and I find myself coming out empty handed 95% of the time from these places. Still, if you are persistent and it is worth your time to go to them often you will eventually score. I know collectors in my area that only go to thrift stores and garage sales and they go all the time and score pretty big probably once a month or so. So all hope is not lost, but yes, it is way, WAY more difficult now to score games in the wild than it was towards the beginning of this decade.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 12:43:57 pm »
You are obsessed with money and this hobby, seriously. There hasn't been a day that's gone by since you've joined this forum that you haven't posted something about prices, spending, or justification of buying things. If it's that big of a deal as it seems to be for you, maybe this isn't the hobby for you. Or maybe you should look for a better job.

The rest of us here are fine with it. We don't feel guilty about spending money on games because most of us are responsible adults that take care of our business, first.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 06:11:42 pm »
No u

No U!
I know you are, but what am I?
I'm telling teacher!
I'm taking my ball and I'm going home!

And other childhood taunts.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 06:40:17 pm »
No u

No U!
I know you are, but what am I?
I'm telling teacher!
I'm taking my ball and I'm going home!

And other childhood taunts.
"Screw you guys I'm a going home"-Eric Cartman

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 06:41:41 pm »
I've noticed that a lot of these threads are based off what I've said in earlier threads.

Being on topic and to repeat myself. Yea if your can find a game physical for $5 - $10 or less you've   got a great game dealer. I have even seen A Super Nintendo game called "Battleship" for $4.

And no it was actually not based off the board game. according to what I've heard it is a shooting game where you fire and sink submarines and battleships

I don't like to spend anymore that $15 on a single game because. but if I really want it I'll pay $30

Can you think of anything thread idea that don't have to do with money. Agent Fox

At least he or she is keeping the conversation going guys and ladies ::)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:54:45 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

aliensstudios

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 10:39:55 pm »
Oh no! I spent six bucks on game! Guess it's not fun.  :'(
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

ffxik

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 12:59:43 am »
Yeah finding that sweet, sweet deal in the wild is one hell of a gratifying feeling.  Those days sadly, are long since done.  As far as choosing to retro collect these days.  Either you have a good paying job or don't bother picking up the hobby.  Sure there are still a wealth of good games that can be had "cheap".  These prices aren't going anywhere, anytime soon.  That's a grim truth we have to face.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 11:07:33 am »
Oh no! I spent six bucks on game! Guess it's not fun.  :'(

I have met collectors where it really feels like that's the case, and it's always been confusing for me. I mean, I can understand interest in a game changing based on price, but I feel like that has more to do with personal tastes than game quality specifically. Like, the idea of dropping $300-400 on Snatcher for the Sega CD is utterly unappealing. Maybe I'd go $30ish? Swap Snatcher for Magic Knight Rayearth on Saturn though, and suddenly it's a different story! I could pay $300ish for Rayearth- I DID pay $300ish for Rayearth. Most expensive game I've ever bought by a notable margin. Does that mean Snatcher is $270 less good? No! It means I don't dig gritty, violent cyberpunk adventure games that much. But I do like a nice, colorful action JRPG!

I guess I feel like, if the cost of the game makes a bigger difference than, y'know, the game, if you're not willing to pay more for something you know you'd really enjoy... maybe this really isn't the right hobby. Maybe you need to pursue something that can give you the thrill of the hunt, if that really matters most to your enjoyment. (No, this is not directed at you, Seether- I've just run into the 'cheap or die' mentality a lot recently. You are merely the straw that broke the camel's back. If 'breaking' can translate to 'venting on the internet'.)

"Screw you guys I'm a going home"-Eric Cartman

I KNEW I missed one!

kashell

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 12:38:36 pm »
Don't forget, "I am rubber and you are glue."