Author Topic: Your In Game Names Or High Score Names  (Read 2685 times)

Your In Game Names Or High Score Names
« on: June 27, 2018, 04:21:23 am »
What do you call yourself in a game when it tells you to name your own character? Or when you leave a high score.

I usually use my own name in the past, but occasionally I'll name myself a funny character name like when I first started playing video games I was playing PGA Tour Golf for MS.DOS on PC I came up with a golfer by the name of Mr. Fart, also I call myself AAA in the high scores because. who cares? I am not in a public arcade and I'm usually lazy when it comes to high scores.

It's  funny sometimes in a RPG where you name your character something weird and it comes up in the text dialogue
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

shfan

Re: Your In Game Names Or High Score Names
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 04:23:25 am »
Heh, it's just an invitation to be puerile so I gladly accept (at least as far as naming your character goes). I just beat Dark Souls with my chunky champion Knobber Joe, for instance.

azure

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 08:06:01 am »
Azure/AZU, but if were talking RPGs I usually try to find a canonical name for the character if possible.

kashell

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 08:25:39 am »
Usually I go with Kashell. If it's an old school game that lets you only input four letters, I go with either Kash or Roka.

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 09:41:59 am »
I use this name, if possible. Or my old name, if it works, which is Bludgeon[atr]. For initials, such as pinball high scores, I use TPX.

When it comes to naming characters for RPG, it depends. Sometimes I will leave the default name, but if there is no default name then the names I pick are usually of these types:
- names of dieties
- names of Transformers characters
- punny names

Here is an example of a punny name:
https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Tripredacus-1592/hero/49946600

oo-E-oo-Ah-Ah (he's a witch doctor)  ::)

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 09:59:08 am »
It varies. If the game has a default name put in, or a name generator, I will probably use that. Otherwise, I usually just come up with something on the spot. I don't use my forum name becuase it would make me feel like I always played the same character in every game. Although they usually look similar, so I think I have some crazy gaming version of Orphan Black going on?

If the high score table will keep after the game's off, I enter my initals. It may be pointless, but I like seeing my initals slowly overtake the board. If not, whatever the shortest thing it'll let me get away with is.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 06:05:49 pm »
JEE or James (my initials and name)

I also name Link "James" in all of my Legend of Zelda games, but for RPGs I like to use the canonical name.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 07:09:20 pm »
I usually play as a male and I rarely play as a non human looking characters, even in games like Dragon Age my character will still look as human as possible, so I usually just gave them a name I like, often inspired by a celebrities i like lol.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 08:26:37 pm »
In the past I used B.O.C most games at the time wouldn't let you use more than three characters but I've been using Wartoy for years.

brazbit

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 09:09:23 pm »
I usually will give the character a name brining with Braz and then based on the class or profession. So a rifleman might get a name like Brazshoota or a barbarian might become Brazbarian. It allows my friends to quickly recognize me and it allows me to quickly identify my character and class on the character select screen. It's hokey but effective.
If it's an arcade game I just use my name. It was very handy in the 80s to have a three letter name.

When I created my World of Warcraft character I wasn't sure if I would like the game. I created an orc that looked as closely as I could possibly make it to my Trandoshan in Star Wars Galaxies. I deemed he looked sufficiently Braz-ish... 10 years later I was still playing Brazish, a throw-away reference to a long gone character. /Face-palm
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:15:04 pm by brazbit »

theflea

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 07:19:53 am »
For the most part I usually name them after characters from stories I have written.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 11:18:03 am »
My character is always turf. If the game has a default, I don’t change the name (like Chrono Trigger); but if it promos me to put something, in its turf.

In high scores and 3 place names I’m JEO. It’s just my initials. I’m boting.

alkaid

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 03:20:45 pm »
First playthrough, I make something up or use a cool name from an anime, book, or another game.
After a few runs, I go for something funny that goes with the text (e.g. "my dude, ").

For arcade games
High score/good personal score: DAN from the name I had to come up with in Chinese class years ago.
Decent score/just missed the high score: DAN or CFY, "Comin for ya". My brother came up with it, to make the record holder quake in their boots knowing that their status is in jeopardy but because of the limited characters you wouldn't know that so it's really my own personal joke.
Embarrassing score: sometimes I own up to it, sometime it's AAA.
No, really.

topspot123

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 06:13:50 pm »
Top. 

Unfortunately, in score attack style games, I rarely reach the actual top of high score tables, so it comes off a bit foolish.   

pizzasafari

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 08:57:59 pm »
In standard RPGs and stuff I'll just use my own name for projection purposes, but in games like TES where I make lots of different characters I just try to think of a fitting name for the character I'm going for. In MMOs it'll just be whatever comes to mind that isn't taken, I don't really have a set name for them anymore.

With high scores if I'm playing my own games on my own I'll just use the first three letters of my name, if it's at an arcade or I'm with friends then I'll try and leave something behind that'll make people double-take. Kind of hard with just three letters though.