Author Topic: Have you ever played Unravel?  (Read 1464 times)

Have you ever played Unravel?
« on: June 28, 2018, 09:00:42 pm »
Hello everyone :D

I just wanted to reccomend a game franchise I have become a avid fan of. It seems to be extremely underated for how consistently awesome it is.  It has a huge niche fanbase but in mainstream appeal I don't hear much mention of it but it really captivates you,  And if you love unique platforming games it's truly a must play :)

I played the 1st unravel about a year ago and adored the art concept and game as a whole.  You play Yarny, a red cat looking yarn creature that traverses amazingly beautiful utopias in a puzzle style platformer where you have to use problem solving to yarn swing through obstacles. It's very complex but simplistic at the same time.  The beautiful setting and settling music makes it a dream game for people who love to play and unwind.   

Just a few weeks ago the second one released, and now Yarny has a blue companion.  this game took everything perfect about the first and upped it to the next level.  Now you have blue friend in which you can intertwine with or tackle obstacles by alternating between them.  It's couch co-op but works just as brilliant solo by pressing Y or Triangle to alternate between Yarny and the blue friend.  You really have to think more about each obstacles puzzle and how to tackle it weather it be swinging or building yarn trampolines to traverse one creature into an area. 

If you love platformers and puzzle games,  The new one is only 20 USD in the Xbox Store and I assume that's it's MSRP in PS Store as well.  I don't believe they are connected story wise but i'm not sure.  I couldn't reccomend a game more.  It's truly a gorgeous concept with pretty deep plot and beautiful delivery :D.   A must try.

Have you ever played unravel?  Did you love it too?   :)

Re: Have you ever played Unravel?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 10:08:20 am »
I LOVE Unravel. It's gorgeous, it's heartfelt, it's got some great puzzle-platforming going on... it's wonderful & I highly recommend it.

I'm partway through Unravel 2 (I'd be done, but I got a copy of Monster Hunter World thrown at me that's been taking up my time.) One could argue it's 'easier', becuase they've added a hint button. it cycles through 3 messages- the first is a vague hint, the second is more concrete, and the third straight-up tells you what to do. I like it becuase it's completely optional (you can even turn off the prompt that reminds you it's there after a few failed attempts), but for someone like me who hates being stuck just as much as having to pause a game to look up a guide, it's a great way to get a hand without breaking immersion. There's also a few collectibles that the game does not give you hints about obtaining, so getting those adds some challenge if you need it. The actual nature of the puzzle elements is similar to the first game, but since now you're using 2 yarnys, the solutions are rather different (you don't really run out of yarn anymore, but you need to find 2 ways though a lot of puzzles since moving 1 yarny through often closes that path to the other. Positioning is key!)

I'm honestly half-inclined to think this will end up with online multiplayer eventually. They've added an awful lot of unlockable yarny designs and colors for it to just remain couch-based.

topspot123

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 06:17:38 pm »
I love 2D style platformers, so I bought Unravel not long after it was released, but I just played and beat it about a month ago.  I loved it.  It's really my kind of game.  A very beautiful and tender game.  I was streaming play sessions to twitch for anyone that wants to take a look. 

I excited about the sequel, but haven't picked it up yet.

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 06:36:10 pm »
I've been wanting to play it, but personally I've been holding off until it gets a physical release (if it ever does)
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

topspot123

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 10:29:34 pm »
I've been wanting to play it, but personally I've been holding off until it gets a physical release (if it ever does)

The closest I've seen to a physical release is the collector's edition.  https://vgcollect.com/item/109026  It comes with an adorable Yarny, but then a download code for the game.  I'm not sure if it has a physical version in other regions though. 

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 11:50:16 am »

The closest I've seen to a physical release is the collector's edition.  https://vgcollect.com/item/109026  It comes with an adorable Yarny, but then a download code for the game.  I'm not sure if it has a physical version in other regions though.
Yeah I've seen the Yarny figure a time or two at Best Buy. It's neat but I don't think I'd bite unless I could find it for 20 bucks or less.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

azure

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 08:40:22 am »
Yes! It's a wonderful little game. The OST, visuals, and story telling are all so great.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 08:43:43 am »
I feel almost like it's wrong to buy a yarny instead of making a yarny.

Mine is keychain sized!

topspot123

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 11:54:26 pm »
I feel almost like it's wrong to buy a yarny instead of making a yarny.

Mine is keychain sized!

Wonderful!  I saw tutorials, but I really feel like if I made one myself it would turn out like in game when he's at the end of his yarn.  All scraggly!