Author Topic: 2nd Generation of Video Games vs. 3rd Generation - Where do they belong?  (Read 1466 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

So I was in a discussion on Facebook about console generations. And as usual when debates online turn into disagreements, Wikipedia gets whipped out.

Someone points out that Wikipedia is absolutely wrong and shouldn't be used as a source on the subject since they have all post-Pong and pre-NES consoles lumped together in one generation, when that is actually two-distinct generations. Then he listed them as such, and it made perfect sense:

2nd Generation

Channel F Fairchild
RCA Studio II
Atari 2600
Bally Arcade
APF MP1000
Odyssey 2

3rd Generation

Intellivision
Arcadia 2001
Colecovision
Vectrex
Atari 5200

He further pointed out that we're now in a 9th generation of consoles as a result, not the 8th as Wikipedia says.

Yet everyone uses Wikipedia as the be all end all in this discussion.

What are you thoughts about this?

idgaf about anything pre-NES, that shiz is whack

rayne315

I think I am with the Wikipedia article here and although it is not 100% correct I think it gives a pretty great overview. and yes with the switch we are in the 9th generation but currently this generation is alone with the switch.

EDIT: I realized I have not answered the question... I think all those consoles should be lumped in as the 2nd gen and there really wasn't much innovation with the hardware between the first releases and the last ones of those consoles listed. where as if you were too look between those and the first console generation its clear that they changed it to be external cartridges instead of internal ones. and the vast improvement of quality between the 3rd generation (NES timeframe) verses all those listed above.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:28:35 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

There was a noticeable graphical leap between the listed groups of consoles, though. And a good amount of years between them.

shfan

I'm no expert, particularly on those consoles, but use Wikipedia with a pinch of salt when it comes to console generations. Wikipedia is (supposedly) derived from reliable sources, but some of those sources may be using Wikipedia itself as their source of information, so it becomes self-perpetuating. That comes from others' statements, not anything I've come up with.

The flip side is that console generations are an artificial construct anyway.

argyle

I just remember all of those things - Atari 2600, Intellivision and Colecovision in particular - co-existing when I was a kid. No one thought of any of those as "seperate generations" of systems, they just were. Companies were just throwing things at the wall to see what stuck. And outside of those 3 brands, I had never even heard of the others at the time. The NES was the "reboot", the recovery after the crash, and it stood out at the time as clearly being something new & different. I was aware of the Master System, but it didn't have any traction in my area - I don't think I knew a single person who owned one. Then the Genesis/SNES was the first clearly defined "this is a new generation" that came after that - there was a clear break between those companies' old & new hardware & software, and was the first clear example of what we now know as changing hardware generations.

So yes, I agree with Wikipedia - everything pre-crash stands as one generation in my mind.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Someone points out that Wikipedia is absolutely wrong and shouldn't be used as a source on the subject since they have all post-Pong and pre-NES consoles lumped together in one generation, when that is actually two-distinct generations. Then he listed them as such, and it made perfect sense:

2nd Generation

Channel F Fairchild
RCA Studio II
Atari 2600
Bally Arcade
APF MP1000
Odyssey 2

3rd Generation

Intellivision
Arcadia 2001
Colecovision
Vectrex
Atari 5200

Yet everyone uses Wikipedia as the be all end all in this discussion.

What are you thoughts about this?

The 3rd generation has at least 2 listed wrong. The 1978 Intellivision and the 1982 Colecovision is actually the part of the 2nd generation, but yes PONG consoles are the 1st console generation NES and Master System were considered the 3rd console generation :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:17:47 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

They belong in the trash.

Okay I'll send a dumptruck your way ;)

but in all honesty many people probably feel the same way you do
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:23:00 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

rayne315

Okay I'll send a dumptruck your way ;)

but in all honesty many people probably feel the same way you do

I would generally have to agree. most people that have no want to collect games do end up just throwing them out when they find them stashed in their attic or basement. but the sentiment on a collecting site is significantly different than these people. personally the thought of throwing away and working cartridge or disc regardless of what it is hurts my soul.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

Here's the thing: if we keep all of these games sorted into their originally defined generations, with each leap of technology duly noted, it will VERY quickly become unwieldly. It's also worth noting that, by modern standards, these leaps of technology don't look as impressive. Of course there's a notable difference between Atari 2600 & Intellivision when you really look at them. Go grab a 10-12 year old and see how much they care about those differences.

In order to prevent the history of gaming from turning into the ring cycle of pop culture history, we must condense things down based on what's notable to us now. The introduction of cartridges was definitely notable. The appearance of Nintendo, at least Stateside, was EXTREMELY notable. These are, in fact, sensible places to stick the new goalposts. Those who want to learn more in-depth can research and learn about generation 2.5 and 2.8, or early/mid/late 2nd gen, or however you want to call it.

And yes- I do think there's more redefining in our future. You can already see the lines of the 8 & 16 bit generations running together, I'm sure someday they'll merge into a combined generation, with the divide moving to PS1 and the birth of CD based gaming (with the Sega CD and the Turbografx CD marked as historical oddities- the pre-CD CD-based systems).

I get why it upsets people- if you grew up with this stuff, you don't want to see the things that mattered in your youth discarded as unimportant. But that's life, guys. Time happens to everything. Case in point: Go google 'middle ages' & see how much damn time we're running together with THAT one!