Author Topic: Will you ever not want a bunch of physical media in your house?  (Read 3499 times)

Re: Will you ever not want a bunch of physical media in your house?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 11:07:40 am »
Im somewhat in the process of that. Since Sunday, I have been going through the process of listing games I am willing to sell because either I dont want them and since I have less clutter options to play less games, I am willing to get rid of game and try to keep what have down to stuff that were part of my childhood or I really like. For example, some of the cart games I have no attachment to I will rid of but because I have everdrives for said systems, its not big loss on me.

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 11:41:15 am »
No. As long as the media is all in one spot and organized.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 11:45:59 am »
Probably not, but one thing I've been doing for over a year now is selling games that I'm not crazy about, that also happen to be valuable. This also includes trophy games that I bought mostly due to how rare and/or valuable they are, but had little interest in the game itself. I feel like for every one of these games I sell, I accumulate several more, so I'm always getting more physical media. I suppose if I ever make it to old age, I may start selling things off in mass since I can't take my collection with me when I die.

pizzasafari

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 02:38:25 pm »
A couple of years ago I had a library in my house. It had been something of a family project for a very long time, when the library was passed from its original owner to his son the son added one book to it before passing away a few years later, his own son added two books, his son added three, and it's been customary ever since for the matriarch of the family to add one more book to it than their predecessor. The library was my family's pride and joy, and I remember my parents always trying to imagine how huge it would be a hundred or so years from now. They'd spend whole days locked up in there going through all the old volumes. They couldn't read some of them because they were written in Middle English, but something about having something written in a version of your language that doesn't exist feels so mystical. But to get back on track for the question it was my dad's turn to add books to the collection, he had to add 17 books but he sadly passed away after only adding 16 (not looking for sympathy so no replies please), and left the house and its library to me. On his deathbed he cussed up a storm over his failure and had me promise that I would add the last book to the collection in his stead. He had one picked out, he'd been buying the Song of Ice and Fire books in one by one and he only had Dance with Dragons left to go before he'd completed the set. The next day though I was hungry so I sold the whole collection on ebay and had a month's supply of pizza delivered to the house instead, which I suppose might strike you as selfish but I fucking love pizza. This experience taught me that replacing physical collections with digital downloads would never work, because if in the future I over-spend on pizza I can sell my possessions to get the money I need for more. I haven't valued my game collection yet though so I should probably get on that soon. But to answer your question in fewer words, no.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 07:48:17 pm »
Some people like books, some people like paintings, I like video games, blu-rays, and figures lol

kypherion

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 01:54:53 am »
Not at all. I love having a ton of games on my shelves.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

azure

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 08:38:38 am »
I go back and fourth with myself about having too much stuff. Right now I would say no, as I love my collection. That could change later in life, I have no idea  :P

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 09:40:54 am »
My house is starting to resemble a library. If anything, I want a different house that is easier to implement shelving designs in.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 06:26:01 pm »
My house is starting to resemble a library. If anything, I want a different house that is easier to implement shelving designs in.

Literally the only thing I'm looking for right now in a house. Been looking for over a year(I'm in a shitty market as well) and no matter what I check out, I can't see my game room in any of these homes. Worse, my collection has grown so big it now needs two rooms now, or one gigantic room, so it's making it even harder.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 10:11:21 am »

Literally the only thing I'm looking for right now in a house. Been looking for over a year(I'm in a shitty market as well) and no matter what I check out, I can't see my game room in any of these homes. Worse, my collection has grown so big it now needs two rooms now, or one gigantic room, so it's making it even harder.

Well... I didn't say it was because of video games... I have 15 shelves in my living room just for my movie collection.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 07:33:57 pm »

Well... I didn't say it was because of video games... I have 15 shelves in my living room just for my movie collection.

I have other collections too. X-men comics, Laserdiscs, CED/Videodisc, MTG/YGO/Pokemon cards, baseball cards, even an HD-DVD collection. I've even started a small collection for stand-up comedy vinyl records. I should just have a house custom built for all my collections.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 01:18:01 am »
No, I like actually owning my media rather than having access to it that can be taken away at any time.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 02:43:23 am »

I have other collections too. X-men comics, Laserdiscs, CED/Videodisc, MTG/YGO/Pokemon cards, baseball cards, even an HD-DVD collection. I've even started a small collection for stand-up comedy vinyl records. I should just have a house custom built for all my collections.

When the house across the street from me was on the market a couple years ago...I joked about buying it... 1 house would be that of a normal working adult, and one would be a giant kid/teen/man-cave, haha
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:43:44 pm by wolff242 »

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 09:42:21 am »

Want some more baseball cards?  ;D