Author Topic: Hypothetically would any upcoming game make you buy a console?  (Read 1223 times)

Imagine that all the currently known upcoming games are going to be on PS5, XB2, Switch 2 - would you buy a new console to play any of these games?

pizzasafari

Re: Hypothetically would any upcoming game make you buy a console?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 04:09:00 pm »
NoI would buy a VectrexBet you didn't see That ComingUh oh

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 07:34:40 pm »
No

ferraroso

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:43:05 pm »
Ace Combat 6 was the sole reason for me to buy an Xbox 360. I don't own neither a Xone nor a Switch, but if for some reason Ace Combat 7 turned into an exclusive for one of these two machines, I would definitely buy the console just to play that game.
Some years ago, Metal Gear and The King of Fighters would also make me do the same, but since (for me at least) these are dead, Ace Combat is the only one left (unless Sega announces a new Alex Kidd... haha).

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:55:30 pm »
If I don't count anything PC and purely look at it from the point of view of consoles and coming at it with upcoming games, like Resident Evil 2 Remake and Cyberpunk 2077 would be enough for a PS5 probably.  For a Switch 2, the next Zelda game said to be built upon what Breath of the Wild did would be enough for that.

I need at least a couple games before I generally jump into consoles unless it's something specific.  Dead Rising was a big factor for me on the Xbox 360 when that released.  Bloodborne was a big one for PS4, though I needed at least another game or two to help pad that out more before I bought it in 2016.  Switch was a guarantee with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey and what turned out to be Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  I got the Wii primarily for Twilight Princess, which mostly turned out to be a mistake (Twilight Princess is great, I just ended up hating the Wii).

soera

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 01:27:07 am »
Octopath Traveler is what will convince me to buy a Switch (Already have the game ordered .. just waiting to bite the bullet).

mark1982

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 03:36:41 am »
If Bloodborne 2 was announced for PS5, then yeah I would get a PS5 for one game.

But currently with the known upcoming releases, probably not. I usually get a new console for at least 4 to 5 titles I want to play.
  l    l 

kypherion

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 04:28:05 am »
Yeah, I'd buy a switch for Smash Bros or a PS whatever for DMC5 or something.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

Agozer

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 05:23:40 am »
I bought my Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X, basically. Well, Bayonetta 2 helped.

I'll probably get a Switch when Bayonetta 3 hits.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 10:28:18 am »
As this question is worded, absolutely not. If every upcoming game releases on all 3 'next gen' consoles, then nothing is exclusive. I buy systems for exclusives. Even if each game wasn't running on all 3, but had a release on our current gen stuff as well as the new machines, it's still not exclusive!

I've used the same system for adding new consoles for years. It's all about the games. For me, a must-have is something:

-that is completely exclusive to its console, or features notable content exclusive to this console (see Eternal Sontata as an example.)
-is released on physical media.
-is something I find highly desireable.

If a game is digital only, or if I just feel like it, it can get dubbed as a 'high-want' (one step lower than a 'must-have'). A must-have is worth 1, a high-want is worth 1/2. I won't buy a console unless there's at least 1 must-have, AND I can reach a total of 3 with other games. So, 3 must-haves, or 1 must-have & 4 high-wants, or some other mix. Also, no buying on credit- if I couldn't buy in cash, I don't buy.

I know it sounds weird as hell, it's just the easiest way to quantify the mental jumping jacks I do to avoid buying a console for one title. After all, a console is several hundred dollars worth of investment, I don't want to be frivolous about that! I already have consoles. I already have games. I technically don't need more, so I need some good reasons drop that kind of money.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 11:10:50 am »
Not up coming games no.

But I bought my PS4 Pro in anticipation of Detroit: Become Human.
Xbox One for Tomb Raider
Xbox One X in anticipation of Kingdom Hearts III and other multiplats.

WiiU for Breath of the Wild.
Switch for Blaster Master Zero.
PS2 for Kingdom Hearts
3DO for Night Trap
Snes for Star Fox
Jaguar for Alien vs Predator
Game cube for Resident Evil Zero

PS4 Pro and Switch have been my most unused/biggest let down systems this generation.

From most to least used right now:

XB1X
Switch
PS4P

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 11:19:33 am »
Yep. Metroid Prime 4, whenever it comes out, will be getting me to finally get a Switch.

I would have with Breath of the Wild, but I already own a Wii U, so I just played it on there. And Mario Odyssey looks fun, but I wanted more than just that to justify the price of a new console.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 11:37:15 pm »
That SNK collection for the Switch almost made me do it, but I resisted.
It’s usually the reason for buying a system in the first place though, isn’t it?