Author Topic: Were most popular 80s cartoons pretty much just long toy commercials?  (Read 1834 times)

I've recently taken a huge interest in 1980s cartoons. Being born in the late 80s, many of the great 1980s cartoons rose to huge popularity either before I was born or I was too young to know about them or appreciate them when they were popular. Because of this and because the cartoons of my day, the 90s, overshadowed a lot of 80s cartoons for me, I never really had much desire to watch shows like Tranformers, GI Joe, Thundercats, and TMNT. But recently I've really wanted to check some of these classic 80s cartoons out and after watching a decent amount of episodes from several of the biggest franchises, I sort of had a epiphany that many of these shows were developed to sell toys based of the characters in the show, and little more.

Another thing that leads me to believe this is while I am an adult experiencing many of these cartoons for the first time in 2018, watching them from a more objective point of view has seemed to show that the plots, stories, and characters for the most part are nothing special or deep in most of the episodes I've seen. They are mostly just good guys vs bad guys with enough story and plot to push the series along just so another new character or vehicle can be shown off. While I'm not saying these shows are bad I do feel like they are pretty shallow for the most part and seem to focus heavily on introducing as much new marketable, merchandiseable content as possible.

Let me know what you think; do you agree or disagree? i'd also like to hear the perspective of people who were old enough during the 80s to be the primary demographic these shows appealed to; do you still look back on the show with the interest you used to? Do you feel like nostalgia plays a heavy part in you being able to enjoy them?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:20:29 am by bikingjahuty »

They were mostly made to sell toys.  Alot of those same shows till are that have continued on like TMNT and Transformers, though the shows have gotten better over the years for sure.   TMNT in particular, while I still get a kick out of the original show, the following shows all did stuff better.  Voltron is an old show that came back and is genuinely a top quality show now.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

I’m a Transformers collector first and foremost, and it was the original 80’s show that really hooked me. I honestly don’t know what it was about it, but whatever it is, it’s hooked my kids too. They ask to watch it all the time. And yes, it’s basically a 30 minute toy commercial. The animation is pretty subpar, with a ton of mistakes, but the show was produced on a very tight schedule and they would run out of time to get the Asian animation studios to fix it before airing. And the stories didn’t always make sense, or different episodes would contradict each other. But it was enough to bring these characters to life, especially thanks to the exemplary voice work. Voice director Wally Burr was notorious for expecting the best performances from the voice actors, and there were many talented ones who worked on that show.

What’s fun is seeing all the different short-lived shows based on obscure toy lines: Robo Force only had a pilot aired...Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors lasted longer than the toyline...Sectaurs didn’t last long. Dino Riders, Robotix, Challenge of the Gobots...
MASK was one of the best shows.

Were most popular 80s cartoons pretty much just long toy commercials?

Very much yes.  In fact it was such a rampant issue that at least one of the major series (He-Man or Thundercats I believe) the toys were actually created first, and the show was based off of the toys.

When you've just successfully convinced your parents to buy you a new Transformers figure, seeing them come to life in the TV show is the raddest thing ever.

Seeing the Super Mario Bros. Super Show while having an obsession with the NES was also a treat. Friends at school would talk about it, draw pictures of it in class, and play as much NES at night as we could get away with.

You could say that '80s cartoons were merely animated toy commercials, but from a kid's perspective, it was also a way to indulge your imagination in the days before you could simply look up anything on the internet.

Yeah they were pretty much made to sell toys. I think Netflix has a whole series on this as well. It was definitely an interesting watch for me. I had no idea as a kid, but still loved watching.
I always wanted that die cast Voltron in elementary school, but only got the mini plastic version...

I always wanted that die cast Voltron in elementary school, but only got the mini plastic version...

Now instead you can buy the Voltron Lego set when it comes out next month.

Now instead you can buy the Voltron Lego set when it comes out next month.

I legit want that, but oof...180 bucks lol

tripredacus

It was known at the time this was the case. I recall hearing about a law in the early 80s that forbade a toy commercial to air during a commercial break of the cartoon show the toys were from.

From 1952 to 1982, there was something called the NAB Code that limited the amount of advertisements per hour, which basically meant that television shows as advertising would not be feasible. The revokation of that code not only brought about the age of cartoons as toy advertisements... but also likely played a large role in infomercials becoming such a big thing.

Some discussion on the topic:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/62125-masters-of-the-universe-gi-joe-transformers-g1-the-fcc-and-public-service-announcements/

Regarding Transformers specifically...

To understand Transformers fiction, it is important to understand that it exists to sell toys.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys

WOW!! Legos have sure changed. So many custom parts these days.

Re: Were most popular 80s cartoons pretty much just long toy commercials?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 03:51:01 pm »
What do you guys think of comic books? the same? Speaking of He man I think that was a vary popular comic book series as well. But  I am just reaching 30 years old this year so I don't remember many 1980's cartoons.  In fact I mostly watched Nickelodeon and Disney channel cartoons. of the 1990's and other cartoons like the classic but I am not sure what channel they used to be on like Loony Toons, and Popeye

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:52:42 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"