Author Topic: Which version of Mario do you like best?  (Read 4599 times)

Which version of Mario do you like best?
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:05:51 pm »
Hello everyone :D

A few weeks ago, I asked everyone who their favorite version of Link was, throughout all of his epic adventures he overcame so many visual changes and their were so many different design choices and options to love. :)

But now, I wanted to dive into a character who may have even more phases and creativity, from power changes, style overhauls, accessory options and just overall look swaps.  Our beloved plumber has changed quite a bit in his endeavors from the 8 bit screen to the glorious HD TVs of today.  :).    3+ decades of innovation behind him,  let's take a look back at some of his most iconic looks.   

Donkey Kong Mario (1981)

First up we have Mario in all his ape abusing glory from vintage nostalgic times :).  Very simplistic, very iconic sprite.

Mario Game and Watch Mario (1986)

One of the lesser appreciated Mario appearances was his first leap into the handheld world, with the game and watch dedicated consoles :).   Consisting of just black and white cells that make up simplistic animation.  This Mario looks almost like a pre beta sketch for some design for games to come.  Very neat looking :D.

8 Bit Mario (1985)

Probably the most iconic Mario, residing in a special compartment of each and every gamer's heart :).  We all recall the first time this mustache'd hero ran across our tube televisions for the very first time.  For many he was the spark of it all, the lightning in a bottle, the radiating bug light that attracted us into gaming.  Such a timeless simplistic design :).   

8 Bit Mario Fire Version (1985

Super Mario Bros 2 Mario

Of the 3 NES Installments (Excluding lost levels) Mario has overgone 3 look changes already.  2 being one of the more bizarre Mario games of all time, a complete clone of Doki Doki Panic but with sprite changes. :).

Super Mario Bros 3 Mario

Mario Bros 3 Raccoon Suit Mario

Super Mario World Mario (1990)

Super Mario World Cape Mario

Marios leap into 16 bit, one of the most beloved entires of all time, featuring the likes of amazing new outfits, pixel resolution and of course the epic cape. :)

Super Mario RPG Mario

Super Mario 64 3D Mario (1996)

Mario's first jump into the 3D world, one of the most innovative moments in gaming history, a true leader for all other 3D platformers to follow in it's lead.  :)

Mario Sunshine Backpack thingy

One of my favorite iterations of Mario, with his backpack water spraying thingy majig :).  The hydro aquatic blast washing away the pain of yesterday and all the evil doings of Bowser and his son.  Really disrespectful on a new low, even for Bowser how they desecrated the world of the tropical islanders.  Tax Payers have to fund the clean up.  Just no care. 

Super Paper Mario

Such a unique Mario, where he is a two dimension surface in a amazing tumultuous JRPG adventure, looking hand drawn on Paper hence Paper Mario.  One of my faves :).

New Super Mario Bros. Wii/Wii U Mario/

After all graphical restraints are lifted, and after over 30 years of tweaks and entries,  this is the Modern Mario we have all grown acustomed to.  Making his mark in Icons like Mario Galaxy, Mario Wii, Wii U and even Odyssey.  The appearance hasn't changed in quite some time aside from outfits.  Good old blue overalls and the red outfit which has become a staple of the character.

Super Mario Maker Mario

Mario Odyssey Cappy Mario

The latest Entry in Mario's long line of legendary blockbuster games comes a very unique ability, with Cappy which transforms Mario into enemies stealing their power Kirby style.  Kirby has since filed a sieze and desist order claiming Mario stole his idea, the same seize and desist order he filed against Ditto.  But seems to be to no avail as all characters are owned by Nintendo and their are job interferences with the court proceedings. :).

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Mario Paint Mario

Metal Mario

Baby Mario

Bee Mario

Mario Kart Mario

Evil Mario (Mario Sunshine)

Super Mario Land GB Mario

DISHONORABLE MENTIONS

CDI Mario

The Super Mario Bros Movie Mario

Through all the years, Mario has always been a beloved hero in the world of gaming.  Of all his changes and moments throughout the ascension from childhood to adult, generation to generation and all the ups and downs,  which look do you think was the peak of his excellence?  :)

My top favorites style and art concept wise are 16 bit Mario from Super Mario World,  Paper Mario and Sunshine Mario with the water jet pack :D

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:15:22 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

Re: Which version of Mario do you like best?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 08:07:11 am »
You've got this aversion to giving us the best ones to vote on!

Also, Baby Mario is the flippin worst.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 08:37:19 am »
Paper Mario

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 08:46:55 am »
You've got this aversion to giving us the best ones to vote on!

Also, Baby Mario is the flippin worst.

I wounder how the guy on the right is supposed to be Mario because he reminds my of a younger american version of Santa Clause or some kind of carny. he looks nothing like Mario not even the mustache looks like Mario's mustache. as for Luigi on he remind me of a old fashion mail man or perhaps a man that works at a quick mart, and not a plumber

As for a favorite I don't really have one
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:52:32 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 11:25:17 am »
Odyssey Mario. :)

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 12:03:13 pm »
What about Dr Mario?

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 12:40:42 pm »

I wounder how the guy on the right is supposed to be Mario because he reminds my of a younger american version of Santa Clause or some kind of carny. he looks nothing like Mario not even the mustache looks like Mario's mustache. as for Luigi on he remind me of a old fashion mail man or perhaps a man that works at a quick mart, and not a plumber

Whoa, WHOA!! Hold it right there... that's not just anyone, that's Captain Lou Albano right there as Mario. Back when the Super Mario Bros. Super Show came out, there wasn't a lot of canon Mario material out there. He was a pudgy Italian-American plumber from Brooklyn who got warped into a mushroom kingdom. Lou Albano was also an Italian-American from New York, and had a great voice for the role.

I don't know who decided that suddenly Mario should be talking like an Italian Mickey Mouse, but that's not the way anyone from New York should sound like. Before the N64 twisted everything with "It's-a me, Mario!", Lou Albano was the perfect Mario. And Danny Wells was equally fantastic as Luigi.

Also, in older Donkey Kong arcade artwork, Mario totally did have that type of 'stache :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:17:42 pm by zenimus »

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 04:51:12 pm »
Satellaview Mario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M81mOmUkVWY

Repair Mario

kypherion

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 05:46:38 pm »
Super Mario Bros. Super Show

jk I love sm64 mario

YAHOYAHOYAHOYAYAYAYAAYAYAYAYAYAYAAYAYA
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 05:57:46 pm »
Tough choice between Super Mario World Mario and Super Mario 64.

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 07:12:25 pm »
It's all the same guy isn't it?

This is him at his best though
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 11:19:12 pm »

This is him at his best though

I wish so bad that they'd make a new 2D Mario game that looked like this. Bring to life all that amazing artwork from the NES instruction manuals.  :)

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 09:40:27 am »
What about Mario Andretti or Mario Lemieux?