Author Topic: Do You Like The Idea Of Playing Demos Before Buying?  (Read 1426 times)

Do You Like The Idea Of Playing Demos Before Buying?
« on: August 03, 2018, 05:23:08 pm »
Back in the MS/DOS era of PC gaming there was this thing called Shareware, in which was basically games that let you play a the whole first section of a video game for free. In most cases, the first  section of a video game. Shareware let you try a game out from the developer (not pirated) for free. Most Shareware was actually more then a just a demo. example is the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D  the developer gave you 10 levels for free and then 60 levels total on it's finished project the full version. while some shareware versions of PC games only gave you 1 level or 1 part of a level for trying out for free.

My PlayStation 1 came with a demo disc of many 1 level games or maybe 1% of some games of the time for example 1 level of Spiro The Dragon 1

To answer this question since I don't play new games I prefer finished products over demos now in life. But I guess it was kind of nice to have played Spiro 1 because it got me and my family into the Spiro The Dragon series and encouraged me to get 3 different PS2 Spiro the Dragon games

But I would not pay for a demo disc if someone was selling one :-\
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Do You Like The Idea Of Playing Demos Before Buying?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 05:27:27 pm »
Demo's should be a default release with nearly every game.  Right now I'm waiting for the Monster Hunter demo on Switch so I can see if I'll like the game or not coming off of Monster Hunter World.  They are just handy for giving you a taste of the experience.  I know there are a bunch of games I'd love to just get a half hour in to see if I would like it or not.  The one good thing on Steam is that you can basically do that with the refund service if you don't play more than 2 hours, though I think if you refund too often, it gets to be an issue.

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 07:04:45 pm »
Yes, but it's a feature I've rarely used recently with the internet and YouTube videos. I have a pretty good idea if the game is something I want without needed to necessarily play it.

Back when I was a kid, Best Buy had kiosks of the Game Boy Advance, Xbox, PlayStation 2 and GameCube, and since my Dad took us there once or twice a week to get movies or CDs, you'd get to try out the games and generally that's how you knew whether a game was worth buying or not. Also, the Game Force in the mall would let you play a game if you asked and you could make a decision that way too. Nowadays, I don't play demos much. The last one I tried I think was Bayonetta 2 for Wii U.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 01:20:03 am »
Honestly? It's a feature I don't often use, but very much enjoy the continued existence of. I find a good trailer, plus a gameplay video, is often enough to tell if I'd like a game- but when it's not, I love being able to actually go hunt up a demo. It's also a good way to freely try out a game that doesn't inherently look like something you'd normally play, but the people around you are going nuts over. I occasionally worry that someday they'll go obsolete. That would be awful.

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 10:42:10 am »
I used to live the demo life back in the 90s. Probably played more demos than full versions of games.

These days, it is easier to find out if you'd like game because you can watch other people play it. I have done this in the past, see a game I am interested in and then find someone online playing it live. Then you can get a feel for how the game performs, if there are any bugs, and you can ask the streamer what they think of it, the controls, etc. This is especially important since most games do not have demos anymore.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 11:02:09 am »
I love the idea of demos. I used to play the heck out of them.  When you could download demos on the Xbox 360, I loved it! 
I used to have more time for games. Now days, I just play what I have. I buy so few games, I don’t have time to try new stuff. I just have to jump in a game and hope it doesn’t suck.

telly

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 11:05:00 am »
I still download and play demos from time to time on my 3DS, partially because Nintendo sends them right to my console to download.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 04:07:16 pm »
Of course. Who doesn't want free gameplay? And it's a great way to save your $ if the game sucks.

kashell

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 08:13:15 am »
Demos are lovely. I really like it when a finished demo will unlock bonus content in the main game.

Or, when you can carry your progress to the main game. That's what I did with Octopath Traveler.

telly

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 09:27:03 am »
Oh yeah I forgot that the Pokemon Sun and Moon demo allowed you to carry over items and a Greninja into the main game. That was nice.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery