Author Topic: Do you have any fond memories of games for non-gaming reasons?  (Read 1932 times)

Essentially really liking a game, remembering liking a game, or having fond memories of a game, not because the game itself was really good, but because of some other reason?

For instance, I have fond memories of Ghost Recon Wildlands, not because the game is amazing, but because when I played it, my wife had went out of town, my kitten had just had surgery so she had her cone on and had to be taken care of, and I had just had dental surgery so I was just chilling at home playing Wildlands for like a week bonding with a little kitten that I had previously had no interest in having anything to do with.

soera

Re: Do you have any fond memories of games for non-gaming reasons?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 03:46:44 pm »
I cant recall that ... but when I listen to certain songs on the radio, it makes me think of when I played Everquest. God, I miss Everquest.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 04:00:48 pm »
I've had that.  I can think for sure that certain songs by Il Nino will remind me of the game XIII.  System of a down reminds me of Ace Combat 4.

soera

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 04:30:24 pm »
System of a Down is one of the bands that reminds me of Everquest. I played a few full CDs when I would raid. Chop Suey was one of them. :)

thewelshman

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 04:34:06 pm »
I cant recall that ... but when I listen to certain songs on the radio, it makes me think of when I played Everquest. God, I miss Everquest.

Me too, me too.

I have a lvl 20 Monk on the P1999 server, but nothing beats the feeling of having no idea what I'm doing and grouping until the sun comes up just to gain a level and insurance exp in the new level.

Most of my memories that are tied to a game than aren't for the games are usually bad memories. I'm not going to say what they are because I don't want to be a downer. I do have certain albums that remind me of games.

Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View - Final Fantasy III/VI
Live - The Distance to Here - Final Fantasy VIII

EverQuest, well, about 50 albums remind me of EQ.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 05:28:51 pm »
Me? not really, but hearing a song called "Angry Again" by the band Megadeth makes me think of the 1st level midi song in Duke Nukem II for MS/DOS. in which that 1st level of that particular game song is indeed a midi version of the actual Megadeth song called Angry Again

Sorry but YouTube don't have a comparison video currently for the Midi version of Angry Again without having to hear the main menu music first but if your curious l

DUKE NUKEM II LEVEL ONE GAMEPLAY WITH MENU MUSIC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1GUopX-ABk&t=24s

REAL VERSION FROM MEGADETH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PZaA8IfLbk
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:35:57 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 02:06:23 am »
Many.

Part of why I love retro gaming so much is because playing games from specific time periods reminds me heavily of my life during that time. The schools I went to, the people I knew, the job I had, the music I was into, the shit going on in my life, all of it. It's probably the most effective tool there is to remind me of my past and the times I had at various point in my life.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 07:31:11 am »
A lot of games, mostly those I've played with other people.

kashell

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 08:09:47 am »
Chrono Cross.

I remember the day going to pick it up and the car ride home,too. It was after a friend of mine just got his driver's license, so we "celebrated" by going to pick up my reserved copy of Chrono Cross at FuncoLand.

The game is fine, but that memory really sticks out.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 08:26:12 am »
I have lots from picking up games. I spent a good portion of my late 20s to early 30s digging for games. I’ve met a lot of really interesting people and been in some crazy situations thanks to collecting games.

Short answer: Yes

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 09:01:57 am »
When I was in grade school, someone broke into our house & stole our copy of The Guardian Legend. We later recovered it- turned out it was a classmate of my sister, and when he heard her talking about the cops being involved, he panicked, tried to move the game, and got himself caught. We'd never beaten the first stage before this all happened, so we didn't know about the Zelda-esque overworld part until then. The whole situation of having the game, losing it, getting it back, and finding a completely different game inside it really cemented that title into my consciousness.

As far as music tied to games- when Legend of Dragoon came out, I'd recently discovered Gundam Wing and, by extension, Two-Mix. I had burned CDs I'd listen to while I played. I discovered, when I tried to put the CDs away one day, that I'd gotten so used to doing the additions in time with that music, I couldn't play the game without it on! It's formed an odd association in my head between giant robots, armored dragoon knights, and J-pop. :)

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 09:38:51 am »

Most of my memories that are tied to a game than aren't for the games are usually bad memories. I'm not going to say what they are because I don't want to be a downer. I do have certain albums that remind me of games.

Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View - Final Fantasy III/VI
Live - The Distance to Here - Final Fantasy VIII

EverQuest, well, about 50 albums remind me of EQ.

Cracked Rear View? *raises hand*
Yup, listened to that album all the time in college. It reminds me of games because I got my first modern computer with CD-ROM drive from my parents to use at college, and that’s when I discovered The 7th Guest, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Myst...played the hell out of all those in college, sometimes to the detriment of my grades...

When my future wife and I were dating, she knew I was into games but she wasn’t really. Well, along came Katamari Damacy. We spent a lot of time playing that, and it was something we could enjoy together.
A few years later, after we were already married, we discovered Boom Blox on the Wii. We’d play that together until our arms were sore.

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 01:53:27 pm »
The Budweiser commercial “dilly, dilly” makes me think of The Ariana Grande song “Break Free”. In the second verse she says “like a deadly...”, but I always heard “like a dilly”.
Then I think of the game “Pick a dilly pair” I use to play on the Apple II’s in elementary school. It was a simple memory card game on a green screen computer. I can still hear the sound of the doves singing when they are matched, everytime I hear the word “dilly”.

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 02:43:27 pm »
Speaking of System of a Down, I have great memories of jamming out with friends with Rock Band and Guitar Hero. Lots of great multiplayer games and fun gaming nights.

But yeah, definitely have fond memories of a good friend/roommate who passed earlier this year when I think of games like Borderlands, FFXIV, and Suikoden. I haven't even played any of the Suikoden games, but he was such a fervent fan, I can't help but think of him when I think of the game. Same with Disgaea for similar reasons...  :'(
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 02:54:42 pm »
But yeah, definitely have fond memories of a good friend/roommate who passed earlier this year when I think of games like Borderlands, FFXIV, and Suikoden. I haven't even played any of the Suikoden games, but he was such a fervent fan, I can't help but think of him when I think of the game. Same with Disgaea for similar reasons...  :'(
Yeah, I have that with Gundam, Timesplitters, Smash bros, and Armored Core.