Author Topic: Do You/Have You Used ROM's and What Is Your Opinion? Or Experience With Them?  (Read 4367 times)

sworddude

Yes, the full 8-bit and 16-bit libraries were made into Rom's many years back. It's not in question.

I think the only question is: As companies seek to take down ROM distributing websites, how many will survive into the future? We could find ourselves in a position where games once preserved are lost as the means to keep them distributed and archived goes away. We all know many of us have relatives who wouldn't know what to keep in the event of our passing. I seem to recall that's how we lost the masters for the black & white anime Amazing Three- the owner's wife threw them away cleaning out after he was gone.

I definitely remember a MJR pickup video where we went to get some old PC games he found on Craigslist, and discovered the owner also had a massive boxed NES collection. Keyword 'had', as she assumed the console stuff was worthless & had been using those games as kindling. In Nerd & Nintendo Central Seattle, someone was burning NES games believing that's all they were worth! What hope do a few hard drives of ROMs have against a clueless family member if proper boxed games can still be treated that way?

I think it's safe to say that enough gamers have entire consoles worth of game libraries on hard drives, flash drives, phones, etc. in ROM form that we will never fully lose those games.

As was pointed out: I'd be more worried about all those games that are on servers that will be shut down eventually...what will happen to those? The best-selling games will probably be re-released in future generations, but what about those niche titles? Or the ones that weren't marketed well? Or the ones that just weren't very good, but for whatever reason you love anyways?

But only very few people will have the unknown games wich are trash even for those 8 and 16 bit libraries.

Some people that pick and choose will be like that, sure. But plenty of people just download the entire libraries. You can get library packs off of torrent sites and such.

that doesn't chance the fact that of the online services of back in the day of both nintendo and sega certain titles are still missing of the 16 bit library.

So I guess there isn't a full 16 bit library wich has been preserved there are still missing games out there maybe even from some physical games of the 8 16 bit era ::)

Heck 1,5 years ago a few of those kirby mini games have been found on certain japanese exclusive storage carts for those downloads not to mention that there are still many missing games including quite a few of those kirby mini games.

Nintendo's mascot kirby has a massive fanbase and many dedicated people who want to preserve it yet it hasn't and it seems to be lost some games are still missing unplayable. not everything can be preserved and this was an example with many dedicated people. For download only games especially if the interest is low titles will get lost It's not something that can be prevented.

the snes satelliview and it's kirby games is a nice example of games being lost of a franchise with a huge fanbase and many 16 bit fans wich try their hardest to preserve them.

I find it really hard to believe that all crappy 16 bit games or even 8 bit games are preserved if you would like to have my opinion especially if you would consider that games of popular franchises such as kirby are not even preserved yet. Maybe Nintendo has them somewhere but on the otherhand the missing games might only be left in some of those carts. however considering that the snes settalaview wasn't that proffitable the games might have been trashed by Nintendo anyways since there is no reason for keeping them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW37Zlh1nyg

It's not all about rainbows and sunshine It's not like everything is available at this very moment or ever will. 16 bit has a huge fanbase and even than things might still be lost forever. Things will vanish It's just how the cookie crumbles. Plenty of download only pc games wich are already lost forever.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:46:32 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Even the online games are on there. I've played BS Zelda, Golden Axe III, and Mega Man: The Wily Wars. I've played the extra Mario levels. I've played the F-Zero game.

There is seriously no gap or any missing games in the 8-bit and 16-bit libraries. They are all well-preserved YEARS AGO. Even homebrew games and unofficial ROM hacks.

sworddude

Even the online games are on there. I've played BS Zelda, Golden Axe III, and Mega Man: The Wily Wars. I've played the extra Mario levels. I've played the F-Zero game.

There is seriously no gap or any missing games in the 8-bit and 16-bit libraries. They are all well-preserved YEARS AGO. Even homebrew games and unofficial ROM hacks.

and yet only 7 of the 10 kirby games of the satteliview are preserved I'm pretty sure some other games on the sattelview of less popular franchises are still missing.

not to mention that golden axe III and wily wars were also physical released in japan. also do you really think those were the only games ever released on those online services?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:53:51 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Okay, you're right. Some random, online-only, Japanese-only Satellaview game was not preserved. There is a tiny fraction of the library that got found...I hadn't even heard of that.

But I guaran-damn-tee you that every single officially released cartridge on officially released cartridge consoles are preserved.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:57:52 pm by burningdoom »

sworddude

Okay, you're right. Some random, online-only, Japanese-only Satellaview game was not preserved. There is a tiny fraction of the library that got found...I hadn't even heard of that.

But I guaran-damn-tee you that every single officially released cartridge on officially released cartridge consoles are preserved.

as far as 8 and 16 bit goes in physical form most likely but not a 100% guarantee.

If you would include systems such as the atari 2600 I don't think so.

Some games were made in sombody's garage in wich only few to 10 copies existed thus being crazy expensiv if they did survive and eventually pop up on the market. some birthday game gamma tank attack etc etc as some examples of games in wich there are only few copies of wich are known to exist.

I'm pretty sure some of those rarity games on the atari 2600 have been destroyed and never really had a chance to be played or preserved. Such games have not even been or can never be discovered anymore.

there is a reason why getting a complete atari 2600 set is pretty much impossible.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:44:21 pm by sworddude »