Author Topic: Do You/Have You Used ROM's and What Is Your Opinion? Or Experience With Them?  (Read 4374 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

While it is unlikely you'll get caught, it does happen. Guy I personally know got caught by the FCC. Got slapped with a high dollar fine, and his internet provider was ordered to choke his internet access to a trickle.

What did the guy do to get caught?

Did he really get a fine for downloading old games or was it more in the new games or movie department?

He was downloading roms of old cartidge games and ISOs of PS1, Dreamcast, Xbox, etc. Using it for soft-modded original Xboxes.

sworddude

While it is unlikely you'll get caught, it does happen. Guy I personally know got caught by the FCC. Got slapped with a high dollar fine, and his internet provider was ordered to choke his internet access to a trickle.

What did the guy do to get caught?

Did he really get a fine for downloading old games or was it more in the new games or movie department?

He was downloading roms of old cartidge games and ISOs of PS1, Dreamcast, Xbox, etc. Using it for soft-modded original Xboxes.

I see but how did they know he did not own those games as originals, If i'm correct it is legal to use and download roms if you have an original physical copy. It's not like they will check it personally or am i wrong?

than again I guess they are way more strict with these kinds of things in th US than in europe. still though it is pretty hard to believe that the guy got caught with only such old roms. He didn't attempt to download anything newer? Hosting etc is also pretty risky.

Otherwise everyone with everdrives or emulators on pc with old games should have faced the consequences allot sooner than later or at least a warning. There is a nice amount of money to be made by the goverment since many people do so it's not that hard to find out especially in the US since the goverment can look at private stuff allot easier than in most other countries.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:26:26 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

I don't know the details, I'm not the one that got caught or did the catching. I assume since he soft-modded and loaded the consoles up for people, he caught more attention.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:10:04 pm by burningdoom »

sworddude

I don't know the details, I'm not the one that got caught or did the catching. I assume since he soft-modded and loaded the consoles up for people, he caught more attention.

If I might have a guess he got paid for his services to mod consoles for others probably advertised somewhere online, that could give some attention and since he profits from roms it is allot worse than just using roms for personal usage. If he did it only for friends I highly doubt anyone would have bothered if they would have noticed it.

That's allot worse than just using some old roms if you would like to have my opinion if my assumption is correct that is.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:23:15 pm by sworddude »

pizzasafari

They're okay, but nothing can compare to playing the game in its proper form on the correct hardware. A rom feels so unsubstantial. There's no joy in having a pack of data on your PC as opposed to the actual game.

If I might have a guess he got paid for his services to mod consoles for others probably advertised somewhere online, that could give some attention and since he profits from roms it is allot worse than just using roms for personal usage. If he did it only for friends I highly doubt anyone would have bothered if they would have noticed it.

That's allot worse than just using some old roms if you would like to have my opinion if my assumption is correct that is.
What probably happened is he attracted their attention committing another crime and they searched his house and found out he was emulating and threw that on top of the other crime, and then maybe he took a plea deal.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Pretty sure he wasn't a hardened criminal or anything. It was the modding and d/l for people that did it, I'm sure.

If i'm correct it is legal to use and download roms if you have an original physical copy. It's not like they will check it personally or am i wrong?

In the eyes of the law, the ROMs would only be legal if you ripped them from your own physical copy yourself.

In any case, I used Roms of NES, SNES, and the various Game Boy generations heavily in my middle school and high school years, but stopped after I got a job and could actually buy what I wanted. As for other people using them, I don't really care one way or another, just as long as they are admitting that they're pirating the software and not hiding behind a flimsy justification/excuse. I also find myself detesting those people that interrupt conversations about the (S)NES classics with their beloved RetroPi.

Pretty sure he wasn't a hardened criminal or anything. It was the modding and d/l for people money that did it, I'm sure.

Fixed it :P

Seriously though, there is a big difference between downloading a few games completely unavailable elsewhere, and selling them hundreds at a time. Profit makes a big difference for how much any law body cares about what you're doing.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

For sure. Was replying specifically to the idea that it was added on to a bigger crime, though.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

I to prefer the original game on original hardware hands down every time.  I haven't used emulation in a long time but it is still relevant.  Here's a a few points to consider. 

Recently on my radar is SmartBall2 or as it would been been called Jerry Ball 2 for the SNES, would have been it it had ever been released.  I kinda liked the far simpler prequel and I have memories of renting it from good old blockbuster video.  Naturally, I'd like to play the vastly improved squeal (SNES DRUNK recently did a review of this title).  The only way to play?  The big "E". 

Another point to consider is who gets the money.  I bought Gradius 3 for SNES recently because I want to own in my physical library.  I got it off eBay.  Konami didn't get any sales from it.  Neither did Nintendo.  Just some guy in walla walla washington.

I used to be part of a P2P site that specialized in emulation for everything ten years or older.  It was a fantastic community committed to preserving the old school.  After a very long time they were taken down and Ive been sad every since.  I mentioned SNES Drunk earlier because he always relays info on game availability, like if this $60 dollar used game is (was) available on the old Wii store.  I like that, if the publisher in whatever form they still exists in says, "hey we still have a community out there for this," then take my money.  If not, do I really have to pay more than original price for a game the publisher will collect nothing on?

At the end of the day I am straight up legal and don't mess around with any of the gray area anymore and its easy for me to be that way because I work all the time.  In fact, that's how I got here, building my video game empire....

Eventually I fear the day when all games physically go out of stock everywhere and the people holding on to collections only sell the crappy games they don't want for an extreme price. I know now this will be a day that will come, if someone don't do anything about not releasing psychical releases. ROM's may be the only affordable option for me in the future, And the police get paid to find criminals. Not only that, but

I knew a man that was arrested with a large fine and 30 days in the city or county jail for Jaywalking. DO NOT underestimate the police. Because some police only get paid to arrest criminals and they do just that. Some police will find the littlest excuse to drag you in too. Or, fine you a ticket that you must pay or you will put into county jail or state prison :-\

PS some police will show mercy but some cities really are cracked down hard most police, are nice but few can be mean, and strict, like in some of the cities around where I live.

you have to be warned with everything you download because the internet is a public place and some ROM may contain illegal attachments that could get you arrested
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:27:48 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

Eventually I fear the day when all games physically go out of stock everywhere and the people holding on to collections only sell the crappy games they don't want for an extreme price. I know now this will be a day that will come, if someone don't do anything about not releasing psychical releases. ROM's may be the only affordable option for me in the future, And the police get paid to find criminals. Not only that, but

I knew a man that was arrested with a large fine and 30 days in the city or county jail for Jaywalking. DO NOT underestimate the police. Because some police only get paid to arrest criminals and they do just that. Some police will find the littlest excuse to drag you in too. Or, fine you a ticket that you must pay or you will put into county jail or state prison :-\

PS some police will show mercy but some cities really are cracked down hard most police, are nice but few can be mean, and strict, like in some of the cities around where I live.

you have to be warned with everything you download because the internet is a public place and some ROM may contain illegal attachments that could get you arrested

if your an idiot you could walk up to the police and say you copied a dvd, used r4 ds carts or say that you downloaded some roms. Formally yes than you will be arrested and or will get a large fine

Thing is the police does not check these kinds of things, many people do so even back in the day with far more illegal stuff when games or movies are actually in the money make period

DS with their R4 carts even in the early ds days, downloading dvd roms of new movies copying movies when you hired them once from a block buster. Pretty much everyone did so but it's just impossible to check, only if your an idiot and walk up to the police you will be caught. What about the heavy supply of copied ps1 discs It's crazy how many people used pirated ps1 games super illegal but the police can't invade your house without solid reason so the only people which are caught for using roms are the ones selling copies for a way cheaper price than the original games.

In the end unless your hosting rom sites,  lending your services for payment and sell roms there is not much to worry about. The police will not bother since It's not really profitable but by law if they do see it, they will take action wich will not happen since they won't invade your house without reason. There is a reason why pretty much everyone still uses emulators these days, downloading music and movies is also pretty normal except for the new stuff wich can be tricky and risky. Haven's seen any everdrive users being send to jail lol for the simple reason that they won't find out since it is not profitable worth doing so,

if it truly was so dangerous using roms etc there would have been far less people using them, the many copies of dvd's and cd based games that one will find in game lots are proof of how little people gave a damm about the consequences, because there were none if you did so for personal usage. unless you had commited other crimes or made profits it is kinda impossible to check.

using roms of old games is far less harmfull than for example those r4 ds carts. Everyone had them back in the day you had acces to all the ds games you wanted from pretty much the very beginning. obviously selling sites were closed down at some point but as far as users go nobody gave a damm about it. r4 carts have most definitely reduced ds game sales that's for sure. pretty much all my friends had a cart allot of ds owners the selling sites were also pretty big for these things. If the police decides to ever invade everyone's home I'm pretty sure a very solid chunk of the population would be in jail whether it's for games, music or movies probably also many police members ::)

Besides as far as roms go, companies are not going to give us the original experience on the original consoles wich roms can provide thus being different. An eshop download is just a piece of crap in my opinion. if you want the original experience such things won't cut it and you even have to pay for it while you can't play it on the original console thus having a inferior experience compared to something that is free.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:29:46 pm by sworddude »

I am not trying be a jerk and no I am not the law. But I used to download anything and everything that involved gaming on a PC. And sometimes I know for a fact even roms can have attachments that are undetectable virus or Trojan Horses. those are usually avoidable by deleting the files that come with the download that have no extension or a strange windows icon that you know from experience that has nothing to do with the free program, or game you just downloaded. and sometimes I pried viruses off windows XP off my PC by changing it's code or/and by renaming it and deleting the file afterward by forcing deleting the unmarked stuck file
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

maximo310

I really couldn't care less about "ethics" in grabbing ISO's and ROM's of games since it has introduced me to a ton of games I wouldn't have played ( and some purchased) due to the amount of cost thrown in ( since stuff like a full blown arcade cabinet could require a ton of money especially for part maintenance like the crt screen, capicators, etc. ).

In addition,  the recent Emu paradise debacle have only shown me that a sizable amount of game companies don't care too much about game preservation as a whole, but only care about getting people to rebuy their old popular games again and again ( especially at the expense of other titles that don't even fall under their jurisdiction). Along with the fact that some high-demand games don't have any chance of getting a remake due to lost source code, so i'd rather be able to play it in a emu vs spending $600-700 on the "real thing".
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:26:54 am by maximo310 »