Author Topic: Questions about Collecting New/Mint PS1 Games  (Read 10403 times)

Questions about Collecting New/Mint PS1 Games
« on: August 29, 2018, 12:08:59 am »
I decided to collect some of my old favorite PS1 games in mint condition and have been buying a few. Some are more difficult to find than others in relatively perfect or near perfect factory wrapped condition.

I have a few questions for the more experienced collectors?

If a PS1 Game being sold as New is not Y-Fold Sealed but has a shrinkwrap seal, does that mean the game has been resealed and is not actually a new game, or as valuable? Do some New games actually have a shrinkwrap seal by the manufacturer/factory seal instead of Y-Fold?
(Y-Fold=New, Shrinkwrap=probably resealed in a store?)
Also, as a side question, would PS2 games follow the same general rule with the Y-Fold vs. Shrinkwrap relating to my above question as to whether only the Y-Fold Seal is the only truly Brand New seal and the Shrinkwrap is probably used?

Is it worth it to buy a Greatest Hits PS1 game New with Y-Fold Seal or is it better to buy a shrinkwrapped Black Label?

Most of the PS1 games will be about 20 years old by now, so from a collector point-of-view do you think some minor tears in the Y-Fold seal is acceptable, and potentially a single crack on the plastic case?

Many games are difficult to find in near-perfect or perfect condition so should a collector be patient and hope for that near-perfect or perfect copy someone held onto and preserved in Excellent, Brand New condition or is it better to buy a Brand New Copy in Great Condition with minor tears and potentially a minor crack or minor-moderate crack on the case, and maybe settle for a shrinkwrap seal instead of Y-Fold, and maybe a Greatest Hits instead of a Black Label (original release)?

Also, many of the PS2 games I want to buy will be about 15 years old on average and there aren't as many PS2 games I want to collect but the ones I do are somewhat scarce and difficult to find so I assume I'll also need to settle for some imperfections, like I mention above.

Re: Questions about Collecting New/Mint PS1 Games
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 10:58:53 am »
As far as new mint sealed any kind of game. I personally don't leave something sealed unless I just want the game around for decoration. You got to be careful with buying sealed games used or second hand ( or even non sealed games used) because there always lye a chance that the game was resealed without the disc inside. The disc may or may not even be in the case if your game was resealed.

I don't want to scare you, but unless you plan to sell a video game in the future if I were you I would not leave it sealed. Do whatever you feel

I bought a sealed PS1 game once and the game was bent and it would not spin
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:04:49 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 11:25:52 am »
good luck to you legendary on your sealed collection.

as far as ps1 games go they were a combination of Y fold (most common) and flat fold (rare) in US. the main thing really to look out for is that they have the still sealed/unbroken holo foil on the top edge (unsure if every ps1 game had them but every one I remember did). and obviously if it just looks wrong/feels wrong it probably is.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 10:55:52 pm »
good luck to you legendary on your sealed collection.

as far as ps1 games go they were a combination of Y fold (most common) and flat fold (rare) in US. the main thing really to look out for is that they have the still sealed/unbroken holo foil on the top edge (unsure if every ps1 game had them but every one I remember did). and obviously if it just looks wrong/feels wrong it probably is.

What is a flat fold seal? I tried googling it and couldn't find a picture to show how a flat fold seal looks.

Can you look at this picture of a game and tell me if you think it is brand new or if it was resealed?

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 01:12:46 am »
PS1 collecting is hard enough finding some games used and with disk that doesn't look like it was used as a coaster for the last decade. New PS1 collecting is going to be unimaginably expensive and I doubt you'll find much outside online sellers.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 08:13:13 am »
Kartia <3

rayne315

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 10:13:29 am »
that is almost definitely a reseal.

1. Kartia Is a Y fold sealed game. you can probably look it up on ebay or somewhere. (my work blocked it so I cant find and post a link)
2. unless I am seeing this wrong the holo foil is torn open on the top edge of the second pic.

A flat fold seal (not sure what it is actually called) it just like a Y fold but only on the top of the game where you would see the Y otherwise you will see just a straight line all the way across. sometimes it is down the other edge. but by rare I mean I only know of 1 game I have ever gotten that was sealed like it in the north American market https://vgcollect.com/item/7268 persona: Revelations.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:16:32 am by rayne315 »

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 10:52:56 am »

1. Kartia Is a Y fold sealed game. you can probably look it up on ebay or somewhere. (my work blocked it so I cant find and post a link)
2. unless I am seeing this wrong the holo foil is torn open on the top edge of the second pic.

A flat fold seal (not sure what it is actually called) it just like a Y fold but only on the top of the game where you would see the Y otherwise you will see just a straight line all the way across. sometimes it is down the other edge. but by rare I mean I only know of 1 game I have ever gotten that was sealed like it in the north American market https://vgcollect.com/item/7268 persona: Revelations.

Kartia is a very rare game to find in New mint condition. One original sealed Y-Fold is a little damaged and the other is the reseal. Legend of Legaia also seems very rare to find New mint. I also have had trouble getting Legend of the Dragoon Black Label Y-Fold and missed an auction last week for a perfect flawless item because I didn't check eBay. I was able to get Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

I also have another question about PS1 games in general. What if a New game has a flawless Y-Fold Seal but no security strip or UPC Label? I was told some authorized reprints of some games were were like that.

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 10:54:11 am »
PS1 collecting is hard enough finding some games used and with disk that doesn't look like it was used as a coaster for the last decade. New PS1 collecting is going to be unimaginably expensive and I doubt you'll find much outside online sellers.
This

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 11:30:53 am »
This

I'm pretty sure a sealed collector will spend the money since otherwise it is pretty much impossible to get these items. Cheaper prices can be gotten but even than it can be pricy not to mention the time that could go past in the mean time you can't really compare it to used collectors It's a different world of collecting.

You'll probably only find stuff online, in gamestores or at conventions eitherway it's going to be pricy.

That Legend of kartia might just be a store rewrap if you would ask me.

Pal sealed collecting is allot easier since we have official playstation or nintendo logo strip seals or at the very least a recycle or clear tear strip. In the rare occasions they say that even those are sometimes resealed so even than you looking at y folds etc.

this one seems to be a legit y fold kartia ps1

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kartia-The-Word-of-Fate-New-Sealed-Sony-PlayStation-1-1998-PS1-PSX/173481988122?hash=item286455101a%3Ag%3AxPkAAOSwyKxXg6hS&LH_ItemCondition=3

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 11:33:28 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

rayne315

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 12:14:42 pm »

Kartia is a very rare game to find in New mint condition. One original sealed Y-Fold is a little damaged and the other is the reseal. Legend of Legaia also seems very rare to find New mint. I also have had trouble getting Legend of the Dragoon Black Label Y-Fold and missed an auction last week for a perfect flawless item because I didn't check eBay. I was able to get Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

I also have another question about PS1 games in general. What if a New game has a flawless Y-Fold Seal but no security strip or UPC Label? I was told some authorized reprints of some games were were like that.

don't quote me on this because I do not know for certain but a google search on the end of life releases for the ps1 still shows the holo seal on everything I googled. so I would say that if it does not have the holo seal its probably a fake/repackage.

the reason I only looked at end of life releases is because reason would state that a lax standard would have come about by them pushing the ps2 over the ps1.

and as for recent re-releases/reproductions of ps1 games I personally do not consider them part of the library. so buy them at your own risk.

EDIT:
Also don't worry about missing auctions for games. if your into collecting for the long haul you will definitely find another one. Video game price charting (in case you didn't know) is a great tool for figuring out the worth of games. it has a section for sealed games and also tracks the frequency of how often they will come up for sale. so you can have an idea of how long you will have to wait before it will show back up.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:19:31 pm by rayne315 »

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 02:23:21 pm »
Can you look at this picture of a game and tell me if you think it is brand new or if it was resealed?

I'm thinking that's a reseal too- see how the white/holofoil part there is wrinkled? It should be smooth- wrinkles indicate an aftermarket heat application.

In theory, it could just be a store resealing something a dumb customer peeled open since that label is there... but considering you can open a disc without removing that seal by popping the hinges off, it doesn't mean the discs are in there.

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 03:28:58 pm »

I'm thinking that's a reseal too- see how the white/holofoil part there is wrinkled? It should be smooth- wrinkles indicate an aftermarket heat application.

In theory, it could just be a store resealing something a dumb customer peeled open since that label is there... but considering you can open a disc without removing that seal by popping the hinges off, it doesn't mean the discs are in there.

For factory sealed collectors a reseal has no added value it might just be a mint unused copy at best but as far as value goes it might just be the same as a used copy in very nice shape. Only for some cardboard releases (nintendo) does a reseal add some value but only because the cardboard box might be in a way better shape than even the best used copies out there since the wrapping did protect the box.

If you are a factory sealed collector a reseal is a no go the value is not even the issue here. It's just the simple fact that the item is not the pristine untouched item that one is looking for not to mention not the original plastic seal wich should protect the item fresh from the factory. Reseals are more for people who want excellent condition items wanting to play the game wich in some cases can turn bad if stores swapped disc by mistake back in the day. Most resealed games are opened before they are being sold for such reasons and since in general the value isn't more than a used copy in mint or excellent shape.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:42:11 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 10:11:17 pm »
 :(
Listen I buy new sealed CD's often (just not games). And according to the various photos of this game Kartia. It looks like the outer clear seal could  definitely be a resealed copy.  but the disc/game may still be untouched if the white label strip appears to be wrinkled, but not opened. And that could mean it is unopened. (if you want to be sure it is authentic) Check to see if the white label has been re-taped or has a cut in it? This could be just another common used and opened game. if indeed that game just opens up without the 2nd seal keeping it stuck together under light force

But unfortunately you might have to break the clear seal to tell if this game has the white second seal broken. Or somehow re-taped or glued shut, and if that 2nd seal is indeed broken then definitely  someone has already been into this video game case before. I am sorry about this but It don't look to promising for legendary25 in this case.

Most CD's and Sealed PS1 games come with a hard to open seal that is tightly rapped around the CD or game case. But in this case the main/first seal appears false in my experience with both most new PS1 games and hard case Music CD's.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:42:23 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 08:20:14 pm »
I actually think that Kartia photo you have listed is legit. All the copies I've seen with that style shrink wrap have a seam running up the back of package. There are quite a few multi disc Playstation games out there that don't have the Y-seal or have both types.

All of the single disc games I've seen have the Y-seal and security tab. Depending on where you bought them, some of the later release single disc versions, may or may not have a hang tab on the back (Final Fantasy Origins for example).

The long box sealed games are not as easy to spot a reseal. There aren't any security stickers and have many variations. Games like Kileak, Street Fighter the Movie, Rayman had a crinkly shrink wrap like many of the games in the early Saturn cases. The stretchable style shrink wrap was used on many of the cardboard and plastic spine boxes. If you come across a Psychic Detective, the transparent tape under the shrink wrap holding the box sealed is normal.

I personally only buy the Greatest Hits versions if that's the only option available, like Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution PS2. If you're a completionist or don't care which version you have, that's up to you. It's your collection.

The shrink wrap is not always going to be perfect and the security stickers won't always be aligned either. The occasional misprint like FFVII is obviously out there as well.

These are some of the multi-disc jewel case games I know of that have the standard shrink wrap. I'm sure there are many more. Please note, some of these also have Y-seam versions as well. Hopefully other PS1 collectors chime in here to add to the list.

All of these have hang tabs.

Brave Fencer Musashi
Kartia The Word of Fate- center seam
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia- center seam
Space Hulk Vengeance of the Blood Angels
Star Ocean The Second Story
Suikoden
Tobal No. 1- center seam
Vandal Hearts
Vanguard Bandits- silver Lunar 2 demo sticker on cover
Wild Arms- center seam
Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories Premium edition- yellow premium edition sticker on cover

Good luck on your collection