Author Topic: Do You Own a Dreamcast? What Game Drew You In?  (Read 4202 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Do You Own a Dreamcast? What Game Drew You In?
« on: September 06, 2018, 01:38:53 pm »

This is why I originally bought a Dreamcast.

Do you own a Dreamcast? What game drew you in?

Re: Do You Own a Dreamcast? What Game Drew You In?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 02:45:40 pm »
I do.

There’s no one specific game that had me interested however.  It was a good price and I just snatched it up.

There are games on the console I enjoy, but no killer apps for me.

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 02:57:46 pm »
Yes, I own a Dreamcast.
It has a lot of interesting games such as Crazy Taxi.
I like collecting classic consoles and games.
I have my Dreamcast connected to a 1920 x 1200 computer monitor using a VGA cable.
The video is the best looking, I have ever gotten out of the Dreamcast.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 03:16:18 pm »
I never owned one or even seen one operate, Unfortunately the Sega Dreamcast lasers are in limited supply I heard. and I also heard that this console is known to blow it's lasers out quicker than most retro consoles making the system not able to read discs without a replacement
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pizzasafari

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 04:13:04 pm »
I have one but I don't play it as much as I'd like to. I liked the idea of owning a Dreamcast in itself as something about the console just mystified me for some reason, but I did really want to try Skies of Arcadia and the original Shenmue too. Still need to finish both.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 04:23:57 pm »
I never owned one or even seen one operate, Unfortunately the Sega Dreamcast lasers are in limited supply I heard. and I also heard that this console is known to blow it's lasers out quicker than most retro consoles making the system not able to read discs without a replacement

The people that used burned discs run their lasers out more quickly because the actual games use GD-ROMs while the burned discs use CD-Rs, which works the laser a lot more since its not designed for that.

Mine still runs fine, I don't use burned discs on it.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 04:56:25 pm »
The Dreamcast is my favorite console of all time; I'd argue it has the highest percentage of quality games relative to the size of the library of any console. Sure, it may not have the massive library that the PS2 or SNES has, but there are so many excellent games for it. Growing up as a Sega kid I was beyond hyped for the Dreamcast, and Sonic Adventure and House of the Dead 2 were my jam when I first got one back in 1999. I got about a dozen games for the Dreamcast back when it was still supported, but it wasn't until I became a collector later on that I really got into the library and discovered how amazing it is. Here are my top 10 games for it after playing many of them since it was released:

1. Shenmue and Shenmue II (PAL version)
2. Marvel vs. Capcom 2
3. Mars Matrix
4. House of the Dead 2
5. Sega Marine Fishing
6. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
7. Sonic Adventure
8. Power Stone
9. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
10. Crazy Taxi

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 05:01:11 pm »
Yes.  I was drawn in by the 2$ price tag.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 05:24:13 pm »
Would love to say power stone since it is in my opinion the best party game on there.

In all seriousness since I got a dreamcast by chance my first games wich drew me into the system were especially street fighter third strike and garou mark of the wolves wich were included in my very first dreamcast set.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:28:34 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 05:58:41 pm »
I do own a Dreamcast. Mine was given to me by my friend's older brother with a couple of games so nothing really "drew me in" per say but I had a hell of a lot of fun with pretty much all of the games I own which is only a handful.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

stealthrush

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 08:03:01 pm »
Yes, actually stood in line 9/9/99 official US release date to purchase it, it came with a large t-shirt with the logo on it. Still have my original system from back then today, although the laser is weaker.

What made me interested in the system and wanting to buy one was the fact I was a regular at the arcade venue where I live. I remember playing games such as Power Stone, Street Fighter 3, and Marvel vs Capcom being in awe how awesome these three fighters were. A few weeks before the launch also played demos of Sonic Adventure, Marvel vs Capcom at Toy's R Us retail store.

This was really the next-generation system having the specs and graphics to push all the boundaries at the time for a home-console. I became a SEGA fan (from being a NINTENDO fan owning a NES, GB, SNES) since owning a SAT first, playing AM2 arcade classics, and reading video-game magazines upon the upcoming 128-bit powerhouse.

Sega Dreamcast is one of my top five favorite consoles of all-time, with a strong library of arcade ports that converted smoothly thanks to Naomi board. Other arcade games I've played were; Spawn in the demon's hand, Tech Romancer, Soulcalibur, Dead or Alive 2, The House of the Dead 2 that were to come home on the system.

Years later when PS2 was released my friend gave me all of his controllers, VMUs, and a few games. I would discover the Japanese imported games that were never released here and would enjoy the system even more.

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 08:45:34 pm »
I feel like the hardware drew me in first and then the games. I really liked the look of the console, the weird controller/memory card, and was sucked into the hype people had when talking about it. The first games I deliberately set out to get for it were Crazy Taxi and Shenmue just so I had two really solid staples of the game library. The game that really got me excited though was The Typing of the Dead. It was a quirky concept that I couldn't pass up! Just wish I had a better keyboard for it that the keys don't get stuck on.

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 11:15:15 pm »
Several years ago, I had a co-worker as k me if I owned a Dreamcast. I said no. He said oh, that he'd found a bunch of old Dreamcast games he didn't want anymore & was going to offer them to me, but if I didn't have the system... I said for free games I'd go buy a system. So I did! I don't remember all of what I got- it was around 10-15 games. I know there was Record of Lodoss War, Shenmue, and a European Shenmue 2 with a boot disc.

I know it was right around when Gamestop discontinued Dreamcast games, becuase I stopped in to buy some more VMUs and got a copy of Evolution 2- I didn't have the first one, but it was a good deal and looked like my kind of game. I got home, took off the tape holding the case closed... and an extra disc fell out. There was a copy of Evolution in the case with the Evolution 2 disc. All in all, I got a good start when I got my Dreamcast.

shfan

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 07:50:01 am »
Yeah, it was probably Code Veronica that grabbed my interest too, along with Zombie Revenge.

kashell

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 08:54:54 am »
The Dreamcast is quite lovely. I don't play mine as much as I should. The game that drew me in initially was Skies of Arcadia.