Author Topic: Do You Own a Dreamcast? What Game Drew You In?  (Read 4155 times)

tripredacus

Re: Do You Own a Dreamcast? What Game Drew You In?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 10:20:44 am »
I had bought the Dreamcast when it came out, so the answer certainly would have to be Sonic Adventure.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 11:48:41 pm »
Yep still have my original  then years later got the black sports edition and another white system when a close friend sold me his collection when he gave up game collecting. Resident evil code veronica was definitely my reason for getting a Dreamcast  and Soul Reaver and Soul Calibur we're better on Dreamcast that also made my decision easier. One of my favorite games of all time Hidden and Dangerous is on that system, once you learn the controls and look past a few flaws like the driving parts of the game freezing up (you had to get out and walk) the game was excellent I don't know anyone who agreed with me though.

azure

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 01:01:48 am »
Always been a fan of SEGA games so getting a DC was a no brainier for me. The Capcom titles help as well, there are so many good ones on DC.

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 05:24:25 pm »
I was given one as a trade for some Playstation games. I don't think I ever hooked it up though. Got a handful of games that were in bargain bins when the system was on it's way out.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 09:17:56 pm »
Hell yes I have one. Got it at launch, from the Software Etc store I worked at. It was the midnight launch, and the mall was open just for it, with barriers leading straight from the mall entrance to the store. I was the only employee not working that night, so I stopped by and got my DC.

Soulcalibur was the main selling point. Plus, I knew Marvel vs Capcom was coming out for it a few months later. The Saturn ports of games like X-Men vs Street Fighter were great, while the PS1 ports were garbage, so I decided to stick with a Sega console for 2D fighters.

It’s a great console and deserved better than it got. I also loved MvC 2, RE: Code Veronica, House of the Dead 2, & Crazy Taxi 1 & 2.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:23:53 pm by undertakerprime »

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 06:27:44 am »
Bought it for Shenmue and Jet Set Radio

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 03:39:01 pm »
My roommate had one and after playing the Dreamcast Superior versions of Jedi Power Battles (which has game breaking bugs on the PlayStation), Gauntlet Legends )huge graphical advancements, and others like Powerstone, Spawn, etc.  Not long after I got as well and spent about 1 hundred hours playing Phantasy Star Online complete with my built in 56K connection and official Sega keyboard.  Sadly I don't have that stuff any longer and while I no plans to expand into collecting the dreamcast library it wouldn't take much more than the right place, right price to change my mind.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 09:25:32 pm »
Shoot Yeah I have a Dreamcast!  I don’t know what game made me want one, but the DC has become one of my favorite systems. It has all those great arcade ports and it has a lot of weird stuff like Cannon Spike that I love.

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 07:50:04 am »
I don't care for the system, i didn't grow up with one so im not familier with it, and the prices are too high for only a few games i'd want (several i wanted are on other concoles or are getting re-releases anyways). It's a hard pass on an average system i have zero nostalgia for.

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 03:47:06 pm »
Many games made me buy a Dreamcast; Shenmue, Soul Calibur (I loved Soul Blade on PS1), Sword of Berserk (I was a huge fan o f the anime/manga back in the 90s), all the arcade perfect port from Sega/Capcom/SNK...

Still, I bought a expensive Playstation 2 before my Dreamcast... and the Sony console wasn't really that much more impressive (at the beginning), some games actually looked a lot better on Dreamcast (Dead or Alive 2, Grandia 2).

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 02:37:12 am »
Always been a fan of SEGA games so getting a DC was a no brainier for me.

I had the same reason as you.  It was by Sega so I had to get it.

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 06:35:29 pm »
A friend said "I have a dreamcast, if you want it". I didn't even know what it was (Wasn't into games at that stage in my life) but he gave it to me w/ some games for free. I still have it, played a bunch of shadow man, Phantasy Star Online, and Timestalkers back in the day. I have more games for it that I intend to play.
I think it's a great system.

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 11:07:59 pm »
A friend said "I have a dreamcast, if you want it". I didn't even know what it was (Wasn't into games at that stage in my life) but he gave it to me w/ some games for free. I still have it, played a bunch of shadow man, Phantasy Star Online, and Timestalkers back in the day. I have more games for it that I intend to play.
I think it's a great system.

Woo! Random Free Dreamcast Club! High five! :D

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 07:02:07 pm »
The Sonic Adventure game and the commercial for it drew me in. The 1st stage and how fast you could run in it made for a fantastic demo for the game.

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2018, 10:14:05 pm »
When I was young, my friends had a Dreamcast and we played every weekend.  We played Virtua Tennis, South Park Rally and Echo the Dolphin mostly.

Of course, as I grew older, I wanted to own a Dreamcast to add to my collection.  So I got a Dreamcast a few years ago, but it was not working properly.  I had to squeeze something underneath the disc compartment so that it was not completely closed for it to work... weird I know!

A few months ago, one of my friends with whom I played the Dreamcast when I was young offered me that same exact console... for free.  He was not playing anymore and wanted to get rid of it.  Of course I was interested in it.  Sadly, he did not find the games we used to play, but he offered me House of the Dead 2, Draconus Cult of the Wyrm and Sega Rally 2.  I was hyped for that last game since I'm a hardcore racing fan!

To be honest, I did not play a lot since then because college started.  However, I know it is there if I feel like plugging it in!  The fact that this is the exact same console I had a ton of fun playing with my friends when I was younger just makes it that more special!