Author Topic: Will you ever embrace digital games?  (Read 2993 times)

Will you ever embrace digital games?
« on: September 10, 2018, 03:40:16 pm »
?

hexen

Re: Will you ever embrace digital games?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 04:07:54 pm »
No.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

hexag0n

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 04:26:53 pm »
The hundreds of games in my steam library say yes, but only for PC.  I still prefer to buy console games in physical form.  For retro I still enjoy owning the physical carts but play emulators for the convenience & tuning options.

kevininja

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 04:28:42 pm »
I already did on PC, since Steam is easy to use and most physical PC games come with a Steam Key anyway. Plus digital games can get dirt cheap in sales.

On console and handheld I tend to go physical, mostly because I like collecting them.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 04:32:34 pm »
Already have on PC also.  Been like that for years, especially due to crazy good sales.  I still primarily buy physical on console, but when the inevitable shift to digital happens, it won't bother me a ton.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 05:56:53 pm »
nope

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 06:04:49 pm »
Embrace?  No.  Utilize?  Yes.

soera

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 06:38:30 pm »
Embrace?  No.  Utilize?  Yes.

This is going to be me after the PS4.

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 07:00:29 pm »
short answer, yes.

Long answer, if video games do end up going completely digital then I will likely buy them, but only when they go significantly on sale. I have a hard time justifying more than $20 on a digital title since I am keenly aware that I don't actually own the game, but am renting it indefinitely from the publisher. Because of this I imagine i will not only become a lot more picky with what I decide to buy digitally, but also will likely "retro" game a lot more, meaning games that were released physically years prior.

Luckily I think we're still a ways off from a fully digital video game industry, however I do believe that next gen will be the last console gen to embrace physical media due to the growing popularity of downloading games on consoles, cheaper internet bandwidth, and the ticking time bomb of Gamestop's demise. I feel like Gamestop will be gone by the end of next gen, I'm almost sure of it.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 07:24:44 pm »
No and especially not when that is transitioned to streaming.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 07:54:13 pm »
In cases where I don't have choice because digital is the only option...sure.

But otherwise...hell no.

ferraroso

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 09:19:20 pm »
I don't think so.

Unless they completely stop launching physical stuff.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 09:45:10 pm »
I've read some great responses to this topic and I agree with most.  I do not count my Steam games. The 109+ Steam games I own are not listed as part of my collection.  That is my personal choice.  Once I switch PC's three more times, that library is GONE.  Sort of natural disasters and entropy my physical collection is mine until I choose to relinquish it.

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 09:01:50 am »
No.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 12:03:50 pm »
I like digital games.

Let me expound on that a little.
I like these small, cheap games that I can download on a whim. These are cool impulse buys. I like my AAA stuff to be physical on a console; but if it wasn’t for digital, these small indie games would never see the light of day.