Author Topic: Could You Still Use Your Modern Consoles When They Go Unsupported In Future  (Read 1103 times)

What do you think will happen to the SONY PlayStation 4, or Microsoft Xbox One, or Nintendo Switch, or Nintendo Wii u?. When the company decides to take the download servers down.?

If that happens will you accept the fact that you will need spend money on another brand new console in order to play modern video games or not? or do you think a miracle will happen to one or another modern day console. and the servers will never close?

much of you know that I am angry that modern consoles need the internet to run
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Could You Still Use Your Modern Consoles When They Go Unsupported In Future
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 04:49:48 am »
I don't think I'll care.

By the time PS4/XB1 are unsupported the next systems will be out, I will have had my fill of most of the games I wanted to play on PS4/XB1, and most of what I want to continue playing will be able to be had for five bucks on Steam during sales.

To be honest PS4/XB1 will seem old fashioned and rubbish later on, they won't age like a fine wine like 8 and 16 Bit graphics. They will be noisy, boot up and run slowly, and be larger than whatever is next.

I know that when PS4/XB1 came out my Xbox 360 sounded literally like a jet engine by comparison and the rubber on my 360 controller was worn out. It was high time to move on anyway.

Next gen will have whatever you're playing this gen with all the DLC included running at 4K/60fps and new IP that are better than anything you played this gen such as Cyberpunk 2077.

There really isn't anything to hold on to.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 11:25:48 am »
Whether or not the servers are on really has nothing to do with buying a new system for 'modern' games- eventually we'll get pushed to buy a new machine just becuase new items will quit getting released for old systems, even if they keep things online for the prior games.

As far as getting a new machine when the older ones quit receiving support- it's gonna depend on what's coming out, how much the systems are, if it's digital or physical, etc. Same as with the last couple generations.

Now, considering the use of these machines after the servers go down... that remains to be seen. We really haven't had a properly online system go down just yet- the Wii was kind of a taste, but it didn't have the same focus on online as the 360 or PS3 did. How many games will remain playable without their day 1 patches? What happens when your system can't check your account to verify you have the license for your downloads? What if your hard drive dies? I feel like, unless Sony/Microsoft patch out some of their protections to give us free use of our data before they take everything down, these systems stand a real chance of becoming paperweights in the future. Well, unless hackers & pirates crack things open for us instead. I can see rom sites evolving into data miners, pulling old update patches off of secondhand hard drives so people can continue to use these old games after the original servers are gone.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:10:44 pm »
They can play movies alright, there's that at least.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 01:00:07 pm »
I’m usually on Xbox one. When their service goes down, it pretty much bricks the system on my end. I’m unable to sign into my profile and if I try to play offline, many games don’t work (even the single player modes).

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 01:59:16 pm »
XBox One will suck when it happens. I've had moments when my internet was down due to line maintenance or something, and I can't play like 90% of my library without online...and I don't do online multiplayer, so I'm talking single-player stuff here.

stealthrush

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 04:34:37 pm »
Good point, just another greedy decision to profit more- having the buyer purchase games in order to play them! They lost out on on lot of cash with the whole psychical CD used game market after all- never again!

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 09:24:13 pm »
I’m usually on Xbox one. When their service goes down, it pretty much bricks the system on my end. I’m unable to sign into my profile and if I try to play offline, many games don’t work (even the single player modes).

Unfortunately this will effect me because I own an Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, both systems require patching on all games. Does anyone know of a trusted third party site that will give us the patches of the 7th generation? Last year is when SONY stopped their music server and I was vary upset about that
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 02:31:25 am »
If MS makes good on all their hints and promises, you won’t need your XBoxOne to keep enjoying your XBoxOne Games.

They will continue to work for the foreseeable future due to an evolutionary vs revolutionary incremental upgrade pattern and the magic of backward compatibility in newer console iterations by design.

I’ve already shifted all my non-PS4 exclusive title purchases to the Xbox One for this reason alone. It doesn’t hurt that for multi-plat games the definitive version (resolution and frame rate) is now more often than not, the Xbox One X version.

Your PS4 (including pro) on the other hand will have many titles trapped on the console much like many PS3 titles are trapped now. Unless you get lucky and your favorite title gets a remaster. Just be willing to pay again.

I disagree with comments that the games will not age well.

I think sound and resolution wise PS2, Xbox, 360, PS3, Xbox One, and PS4 graphics have hit a point where many games will look just fine simply upscaled to 4K, 6k, 8k whatever.

Case in point the Kingdom Hearts games on PS2 still look impressive today as do many Original Xbox titles like DOA2 Ultimate. Mirrors Edge for 360 in BC mode on a 4K tv with HDR has to be seen to be believed.

The problem for SONY will be the inability to grab all the DLC and patches for the day 1 game breaking bugs. MS has an entire team now whose sole purpose in life is to ensure old games continue to run and if possible look and play BETTER while doing it!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:34:41 am by dashv »