Author Topic: Will the PS3/XB360 generation be looked back at fondly?  (Read 1555 times)

Will the PS3/XB360 generation be looked back at fondly?
« on: September 23, 2018, 03:24:04 pm »
As being the last gen without mandatory installs and day one patches?

pizzasafari

Re: Will the PS3/XB360 generation be looked back at fondly?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 03:49:08 pm »
Perhaps

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 06:26:40 pm »
To be fair it was the wii wich was the last console withouth any patches for the games only in some occasions for the system menu and eshop.

Xbox 360 and ps3 had patches for their games so it's not fool proof but that's not the main thing in my opinion what would affect the collectibility since I'm pretty sure there will be an easy way to get those patches on the console by other means pretty easily so i would not worry about that to much.

also i'm pretty sure the ps3 and xbox 360 will not really be remembered like allot of other consoles. The best games are remastered on newer systems or just don't hold up well since there are superior options or so many games wich look alike. These days the choices are endless for certain genre's of games wich might make games less memorable.

There are ofcourse some exceptions and there are some unique games but i'm almost 100% sure the xbox 360 ps3 era and above will be looked differently as far as collecting goes thanks to the abundance of choices on the ps4 wich truly enough releases allot of interesting games. i also wonder what will happen with all those CE of the ps3 and xbox 360, I'm pretty sure you can't get rid of those after some time  ::)

There will be exceptions but overall I don't really think ps3 or xbox 360 will be looked back on the same way as ps1: or especially the ps2 or original xbox wich are already a great example of being treated a bit differently as far as the people who collect for those systems goes. It's very selective, pretty much no full set collectors and just less popular overall compared to other systems of that era while gamecube and dreamcast seem to actually be the last systems that people really collect for like the older systems. ps2 and xbox are a bit in between still pretty collectible but allot more selective. wii also fits the ps2 and classic xbox pretty well as far as collecting older games goes .

I'm pretty sure in the xbox 360 ps3 era onwards it might be allot less than those systems or pretty much gone it will be a niche or at the very least pretty cheap to get into. It will not be as collectible like allot of the older consoles. yes there will be some games here and there but it will be very very selective. ps2 wii and og xbox are great proof why i think this will happen.

those systems are a great example of retro game collecting being treated a bit differently less people getting into it, barely any full set collectors and just pretty selective compared to the older systems,i can't really see those being less collectible than the ps3 or xbox 360 those will be far farr less collectible. I'm pretty sure that many people will still collect for xbox 360 and ps3 in the future, but only for the sole reason that the games will be dirt and dirt cheap and  a very niche group for the more expensive collectible games if the games have not really been remastered etc for certain genre's or the most rare games for the consoles.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:09:13 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 07:39:47 pm »
Yeah, I'm sure. Nostalgia comes in cycles. It's just not the 2000s time, yet.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 09:40:42 pm »
It's just not the 2000s time, yet.

Yeah, people who had the 360/PS3 as their childhood console are still in high school/college right now, so there's still a ways to go before the cocktail of nostalgia and disposable income reaches the appropriate mix.

Another thing to consider, especially with the 360, is backwards compatibility and digital distribution. Almost 550 games are part of the One's backwards compatibility program now, with almost all major non-sports titles included in the list. So, if a person gets a craving for Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, or one of the Call of Duty games, they don't need to hunt down an old system and a copy of the game; Instead, with a few button presses and a few bucks spent, they get the same gaming experience on their newest console.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 10:51:27 am »

Yeah, people who had the 360/PS3 as their childhood console are still in high school/college right now, so there's still a ways to go before the cocktail of nostalgia and disposable income reaches the appropriate mix.

Another thing to consider, especially with the 360, is backwards compatibility and digital distribution. Almost 550 games are part of the One's backwards compatibility program now, with almost all major non-sports titles included in the list. So, if a person gets a craving for Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, or one of the Call of Duty games, they don't need to hunt down an old system and a copy of the game; Instead, with a few button presses and a few bucks spent, they get the same gaming experience on their newest console.

People can do that already with emulation, ROMs, and ISOs.

It will be interesting to see if this generation has the same attachment to hardware that we did. Because they did fully grow up in the digital age, unlike most of us here. So they've always been downloading digital stuff.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 12:30:55 pm »

People can do that already with emulation, ROMs, and ISOs.

It will be interesting to see if this generation has the same attachment to hardware that we did. Because they did fully grow up in the digital age, unlike most of us here. So they've always been downloading digital stuff.

you might be on to something here, I also feel like allot of people who seriously collect for the xbox 360 and ps3 usually are the ones that at first collect the older systems wich they actually played back in the day. the older generations.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 12:53:00 pm »
I think people will given how many excellent games came out during that generation. In terms of there being some sort of collecting boom for the PS3 and 360, I think some games will see a slight uptick in prices, but I don't think it'll become feverishly collected for like many consoles from older gens. Wii on the other hand probably will get a noticeable bump in collecting and interest, mostly because it's Nintendo. But yeah, I think a lot of people look back on it fondly and will continue to do so as time goes on. I personally had an excellent time last gen and have some great memories of it.

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 01:15:09 pm »
I think this could be the generation that starts a proper backlash against the very online nature of gaming, depending on how it's handled as it fades into retro. While not perhaps day 1 patches, most games did still have patches & lots of DLC available. If these remain easily accessible, even if only through piracy- then yes, this generation will be just as loved as those that came before.

But if not? We could see people being frustrated or angered at games not living up to their nostalgia, as long-solved bugs become issues again and add-on content is lost. This could get turned towards the companies that cut off that data, wanting to know why these things that were paid for are no longer available to us. Or perhaps by then we'll be so trained not to want the 'old crappy stuff' that the nostalgia will take the form of demands for re-releases and retro controllers and old-school faceplates for whatever kind of machine we're using then.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 02:14:09 pm »
I think this could be the generation that starts a proper backlash against the very online nature of gaming, depending on how it's handled as it fades into retro. While not perhaps day 1 patches, most games did still have patches & lots of DLC available. If these remain easily accessible, even if only through piracy- then yes, this generation will be just as loved as those that came before.

But if not? We could see people being frustrated or angered at games not living up to their nostalgia, as long-solved bugs become issues again and add-on content is lost. This could get turned towards the companies that cut off that data, wanting to know why these things that were paid for are no longer available to us. Or perhaps by then we'll be so trained not to want the 'old crappy stuff' that the nostalgia will take the form of demands for re-releases and retro controllers and old-school faceplates for whatever kind of machine we're using then.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting.

The only game I played that was flat out broken at launch was Skyrim for the PS3. I remember there was some quest where you have to solve a murder in this one town and you were unable to complete it, which caused all kinds of issues later on in the game as well. The worst part is that this wasn't some small third party dev, it was Bethesda. I know there were many other instances of this as well, including a day 1 patch for the first batch of Dark Souls games which require a patch to beat the first boss in the game, but this was done by design to prevent people breaking street date on that game.

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 02:39:11 pm »
Is there a generation that is not looked back fondly?

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 03:40:02 pm »
for me yes many great games for those systems i will always own a 360 one of my favorite consoles of all time right up there with nes,snes,genesis,dreamcast imo.

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 03:53:58 pm »
Is there a generation that is not looked back fondly?