Author Topic: Ever played a game that made you feel like all other games were now obsolete?  (Read 1311 times)

Have you ever played something and thought 'damn this is better than anything that came before and any other game coming out right now'?

I experienced this with several games. Games used to be able to blow my mind and captivate me to the point I wanted to play them all the time.

Here's my list of games that did this:

Super Mario World (SNES) - 1990
Super Mario Kart (SNES) - 1992
Super Mario 64 (N64) - 1996
Pokemon Yellow (Gameboy) - 1999
Halo: Combat Evolved (OG Xbox) - 2001
Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube) - 2001
Halo 2 (OG Xbox) - 2004
Resident Evil 4 (PS2) - 2005
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (XB360) - 2006
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (XB360) - 2011

At the time these games came out they were absolutely sensational.

Nothing has blown my head off like these in the last 7 years. Sad times my homies.

PARTIAL QUOTE FROM SEETHER
Have you ever played something and thought 'damn this is better than anything that came before and any other game coming out right now'?

As far as the topic question, no. But as far as your second question, yes.

When I first played The Sims 1 for PC there was nothing like it, still nothing like it on the market in what I know except other The Sims games in the main 4 or 5 series now. In fact if one tried you could make one huge video game based off just the Sims 3 series engine alone, by just adding to the game it could easily be a sports game an RPG an action game in fact if one wanted they could even make one master game with it. easily could be any kind of game period
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:42:00 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Agozer

When I first played Donkey Kong Country back in the early 90's, that was basically the reaction I had.

pizzasafari

Oh wow Seether, I had a sarcastic response prepared for your next thread but this is actually a decent thread. Good job.

I know exactly what you mean, recently it's been so hard to find games that have grabbed me the same way they used to, and I blame late 2013/early 2014 for that, I played a bunch of games in a row that are all now among my all-time favourites and it set the bar way, waay too high for everything since.

First I played Persona 3 which is now my joint-favourite game along with a childhood game, then I played Persona 4, then I played Virtue's Last Reward then later 999, then I played Danganronpa. Then later in that same year (I think?) Danganronpa 2 came out in English and I played that too. Since then games just haven't felt the same. There has been one game since then that's given me that same feeling though, just one, The House in Fata Morgana, but that's because it's a fuckin' masterpiece. Life's become a vain search for something as good as those games rather than just for games that are good in their own way.

Off the top of my head, no.

mark1982

Most recently, the souls series had this affect on me. Everything about this series just pulled me in - Design, Combat, Lore, some of the environments are just breathtaking.

Enemy design is top notch, plus the soundtrack really gets under your skin during tense boss fights. All tied together with a steep learning curve.

Then of course there is Bloodborne... Best game this generation has to offer imo, doesn't get any better...

l    l 

wolfen

Breath of the Wild is that game for me. Anytime I play a game I always compare it to how easy it is to traverse the wide open world of Hyrule. I think BotW has the best movement of any open world game, it makes traveling through the world not feel like a chore and actually fun to figure out. It is one the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

I've never, and doubt I ever will, see a game that renders all others obsolete- there's too much variety in what games can do for that.

But games that have blown my mind, and re-shaped/expanded that idea of what games can do? Absolutely!

When I was a kid, finally getting past the first stage of The Guardian Legend and discovering the ship turned into a person and the game turned from vertical shooter to Zelda-esque exploration blew my mind. The idea that a game could so completely change gameplay style was completely foreign to my young mind.

I encountered a game called the Holosseum in an arcade that messed with my head- to see the graphics portrayed in "3D" like that was unlike anything I've encountered before or since. If you've never seen one, it's set up with a flat plane onto which the 2d sprites are projected vertically- it's a bit like cutouts in a diorama. Similar reaction shortly thereafter to Virtua Fighter, except I have seen that kind of game after & continue to evolve.

Final Fantasy 7 changed my perception of how a game could present its story- while I wouldn't call it my favorite, I certainly remember having the most visceral reaction to it than I've had with any other game- panicking during that first timed mission, tearing up over Aeris' fate, downright bawling when my brother accidentally deleted my save file right after I left Midgar for the first time... that last one's a little different. I also remember the early trailers for Final Fantasy 8 blowing me away with their graphical prowess.

In my adult life, the two games that stick out for getting me to think about games a little differently were Final Fantasy 12 and Horizon: Zero Dawn (so far- not actually done with that one yet.) I know 12 seems like an odd choice- it's not that different or special when you get right down to it. The thing is, I binged RPGs for most of high school, and I'd becomed burned out. It was the same thing every time- a group of random folk band together to take down a big bad and Save The World! Gotta Save The World, every time... until 12. You don't save the world in 12. At no point is Ivalice, as a whole, in any danger. You're a little resistance trying to re-estalish a little monarchy on the edge of a big empire. If you fail... nothing much changes, really. And that downgrade in scope had an effect on the story- you meet your cast in a more organic way, you spend more time with each of them establishing why you should care about their little struggle instead of on why a big bad villain is so big & bad. They toy with the idea of a big 'we control the world' set of characters- but they also don't do much of anything, exisiting mostly as a foil to shape the other characters motivations. I'd been seeing for year you could use the ever-improving tech to make bigger, more epic stories... this was the first time I'd seen it appiled to a smaller one. It's likely why 12 in my favorite Final Fantasy (unpopular as that opinion my be.)

As for Horizon Zero Dawn, it's given me a new appercation for the kind of world a game can be set in, especially the enemy AI. Most of the time, running about the field, any enemies you encounter aren't a big deal- mow them down or run from the ones too high in level, no need to give it much thought. But here? They react to your presence and actions. They react to each other's presence and actions. Moving from place to place, you can't just go the shortest route, you have to consider what you'll come across along the way- it might be easier to go a longer path if it skirts around a strong enemy's territory. I've never had to take such considerations into account in another game, it's very interesting!

tripredacus

The ability to swim in GTA San Andreas had obsoleted GTA III and Vice City.

The Sims 2, the Tony Hawk's serie from 1 to Proving Ground, Red Dead Redemption, the Uncharted serie, the Donkey Kong Country serie, the Mass Effect serie.

Re: Ever played a game that made you feel like all other games were now obsolete?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 02:42:32 pm »
Most recently, the souls series had this affect on me. Everything about this series just pulled me in - Design, Combat, Lore, some of the environments are just breathtaking.

Enemy design is top notch, plus the soundtrack really gets under your skin during tense boss fights. All tied together with a steep learning curve.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  They didn’t make other games obsolete, per se, but the Soulsborne games really reignited my passion for gaming in a way I didn’t expect.  They are beautiful, dense, impeccably designed, and fun.

Bloodborne is truly the PS4 killer app to me.  It and the Souls trilogy is modern game design practically perfected.  They blew me away in a manner that hadn’t happened since I first realized the scale of WoW.

Re: Ever played a game that made you feel like all other games were now obsolete?
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 07:01:06 pm »
All others obsolete? No, but there’s been plenty of games over the years that became a very big time sink for me once I began to play. I put thousands of hours into Final Fantasy XI. I enjoyed playing the game, but it was also the subscription price that made me feel like I had to play it over anything else.
Gears of War 2 and 3 also consumed hundreds of hours and I didn’t play much else during that time.

As far as consoles go, Nintendo killed Atari and Intellivision for me. 16 bit systems made me turn my back on NES. When PlayStation came out, the arcade era was pretty much killed. The only reason to go to an arcade was for pinball, interactive games or to drink beers at Dave & Busters or Gameworks.

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 11:01:19 pm »
Good games that make me don't want play nyfing else. =) Lets see
Ghost master
Firedepartment(series of games)
far cry 1
undertale
MGS(every game)

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 01:26:57 am »
A few times.  A game just so ahead of it's competition where it's just like yeah.  Those games are for cave men. 

1. GTA V    (I mean it's since lessened slightly in the past 6 years or so but when this first dropped.  Their was nothing to touch it and I doubt anything still has.  The scope, the depth,  the size and scale of it's world.  It's truly insane.

2. Forza Horizon 3 (soon to be 4)  If you love racing games, it's simply the standard.  And based on reviews 4 is even better.  They set you in a open world as massive as GTA V's, maybe larger but with the detail and graphical quality of the 4k One X.  It's always eye catching stunning perfection. 

3. Walking Dead Season 1 by Telltale  (The game concept was new to me at the time and story telling has never hit highs that this season hit for me.  The franchise as a whole redefines my standards for plot and character development)

4. Super Mario World  (Once this came out with the 16 bit graphics.  8 bit although is now cool again, really looked like compelte trash.  You had to have it.  It was captivating.  Gameplay wise it was and still is flawless)