Author Topic: Just a Friendly Reminder for all those with large collections  (Read 4487 times)

mark1982

Just a Friendly Reminder for all those with large collections
« on: September 28, 2018, 01:43:54 am »
Make sure it’s insured...

( Disclaimer: This is not my collection )

Saw this floating around online and thought to myself how something like this could be a reality for me as well since I have a large sum of games that I collected over the years... I'm sure plenty of us here have some pretty big collections.

I'm in the process of adding it into my policy but it always gets delayed. I think after seeing something like this I'm gonna speed up the process, heh.

Feel bad for the dude though...  :-\

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:10:10 am by mark1982 »
  l    l 

Re: Just a Friendly Reminder for all those with large collections
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 01:57:11 am »
The plight of the materialistic.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 02:18:22 am »
I catalog my collection with the hope that if something like this ever happened I could utilize my 500k+ renter's insurance policy and hopefully get compensated for my loss. But with how shitty and underhanded insurance is, who knows if they'd actually pay up for something like a video game collection.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 06:38:24 am »
Makes me wounder how a fire like this photo could have started. I just hope this don't happen to anyone else. We got to carefully and check our power cords often and after seeing  an Atari 2600/VCS in action and the Magnavox Odyssey reviews on YouTube I am afraid to own one. afraid it would cause a fire

his house fire could have been caused by anything. and most times a fire will just happen out of nowhere. Like how an entire house in my neighborhood burned to the ground because the fire department refused to put the fire out. They only prevented the next door house from burning down instead.

Sometimes you in worse luck if you live in a rural town or in a dry forest
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:44:11 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

soera

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 07:08:21 am »

Seriously dude? Cmon. You are on a game collecting website calling people materialistic when they are upset that their games caught on fire. I dont understand you. Quit posting dumbass stuff and dipshit comments or Im just going to punt you and be done with it.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 08:01:09 am »
A) Fuck you, man.  Try plight of the person whose house burned down.

B) When I bought my home and got insurance I specifically asked about my games.  I was told that the general policy covered them, but everyone should definitely double check your policies.  Or if you don’t have insurance look into it!  It could save your from financial ruin.

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 08:23:14 am »
Im just going to punt you and be done with it.

pizzasafari

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 08:32:25 am »
Im just going to punt you and be done with it.

Edit: I realise this is a dumb question but I'm not a homeowner and I've gotten insurance on anything before, what happens if you insure your games and they all get destroyed like this? Do you get a payout for them or something? How do they know what the value is when they're unidentifiable?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:38:16 am by pizzasafari »

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 08:52:01 am »
You would get a payout equal to the rough value of your collection.  One of the major reasons I catalogued my collection here is so that I do have a full list of what I own in case something does ever happen.  And I use FilmAF for my DVD / Blu collection.

kashell

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 09:10:10 am »
Damn, that's terrible.

Using this site is helpful for cataloging , but you may want to take it an extra step further and photograph your things and store that on a separate drive, your phone, etc.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 09:25:05 am »
Preventing damage is better than any insurance if you would like to have my opinion.

You will always end up with some loss as far as insurances go even when it has been done properly

In a good case scenario you should be happy with 80% 70% of the value, this would exclude shipping costs etc. Even if it's insured you will have a substantial loss not to mention the extra monthly costs an insurance gives if you collection has any substantial value not to mention the increased monthly costs of the insurance when you take the money if an accident happens. if your collection is pretty big it will be a seperate insurance not combined with a normal insurance for the house etc. If your collection is just worth a couple K you could just use your normal house insurance to cover the loss.

that being said, if you want to sell a collection fast even the commons for nice value than an insurance and an accidental house fire could be your golden ticket ::)
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 09:57:21 am »
Edit: I realise this is a dumb question but I'm not a homeowner and I've gotten insurance on anything before, what happens if you insure your games and they all get destroyed like this? Do you get a payout for them or something? How do they know what the value is when they're unidentifiable?
I don't know why you quoted me, but it varies from insurance to insurance.  Some insurance companies do market value or paid value.  Paid value usually requires proof of purchase (receipts).  Market value, I don't know how they determine value if they go by ebay or something, but it should be 100% of the value up to whatever your threshold is, mine is half the value of my home, minus your deductible (mine is 2% of my home value I think).

Different insurance companies have different requirements for proof.  Some want receipts, some want just pictures/videos of the items inside of your home, some might be fine with a detailed list.

My insurance told me that clear photos/videos that allow all items to be clearly identified plus a detailed inventory is sufficient.  I didn't really get an answer on how they determine value, but they reimburse at replacement cost... what it would cost me to replace it.

Though I wouldn't honestly expect any insurance, even ignoring deductibles, to pay out at a rate that would allow you to easily and immediately replace your collection.

mark1982

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 10:59:37 am »
I agree with what others have mentioned. Document and catalogue your collection is important plus taking pictures is also good. Takes quite a bit of work, but better to be safe than sorry.

You're on a video game collection site dude... If you just want to discuss video games go back to GameFAQs...
  l    l 

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 11:49:23 am »

Right, we should all invest in stocks instead! Because that never goes wrong!

Don't be a douche- the guy lost everything. I imagine if that's what the game room looked like, the rest of the house didn't fare too well either. Gonna get on people's cases for hoarding clothes, food, & family photos too? This is a chance to share advice on how to protect your possessions- all of them, not just games- as best you can from these kinds of tragedies. If attachment to objects is so bad, I'm sure there's a monastery out there that will take you in.

rayne315

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 12:14:53 pm »
this is actually one of the main reasons im on here. it gives me a full comprehensive list of game possessions in case something like this were to happen.

from an insurance standpoint I really don't need it because I have a policy that would give me a lump sum payment that is the amount of the policy (to the percentage loss) so if I went home tonight and absolutely everything was stolen from my house I would be paid fully regardless of how much value was actually stolen. this is on top of property damage and personal injury, so in the case of a fire I would be paid for the value of my housing, medical bills if anyone got injured, and my lump payment for my possessions.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully