Author Topic: Collection Advice Thread Or Opinions  (Read 1382 times)

Collection Advice Thread Or Opinions
« on: September 28, 2018, 10:19:08 am »
I wanted to open up an advice thread and I don't care if this thread goes vary far

To Help Prevent Game Room Fires:
Here is some advice I learned from an actual Fire Marshall NEVER PLUG A POWER STRIP INTO ANOTHER POWER STRIP

I wanted to bring this to everyone attention since some of us recently saw what happened in another thread. This tip has to do with plunging in our game consoles and other electronics into electric power strips I noticed a lot of YouTubers have a TON of wiring in their game rooms. I know it is a pain in the ass to need to plug in our consoles when we use them then unplug them when we turn them off. But upon asking a fire Marshall. He told me that an electrical power strip is only safe if it's not plugged into another one or possibly used in the same outlet

1: Never plug more than 1 Power Strip into the same power socket it can cause a fire I was told from a Fire Department Marshall
2:(from me) run one console or PC at a time off the same wall socket or you can cause a power overload
3: (from me) Don't smoke in the game room because you can actually cause your console to have a sticky Nicotine build up inside of it's fans and console air vents

These are some of what I recommended. All subject is open to anyone opinions
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 10:35:05 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Collection Advice Thread Or Opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 11:23:29 am »
The power strip stuff is very good advice- my dad's an electrician & started hammering that into me as soon as it was clear I was building a collection.

I will add- know the difference between a power strip, and a surge protector. For many people, either one will be fine- most power strips do turn themselves off if they sense too much juice coming through the line. However! Only surge protectors have extra gear added internally to deal with excess voltage if it does come along. if you've got rarer machines or just less than stable power in your home, shell out for the surge protector.

A personal pet peeve I see in a lot of collections online- please don't stack your consoles, especially in your entertaiment center! They aren't designed to be load-bearing, and you're letting the heat from one operating unit run straight into another. There are a myriad of options to make addtional shelving space out there, take advantage of them- may I suggest starting in the kitchen section with dish risers & drops?

Keep a can of lemon dusting polish around- the foaming kind, perferably. It's great for adding a bit of shine back to your old consoles/carts/cases, and when used carefully is a good mild adhesive remover. I've taken stickers off of labels with this stuff successfully in the past. I'm surprised at how few collectors ever mention it.

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 12:38:01 pm »
Be aware of airflow requirements of a system. Nintendo is really good about designing their systems with tabs or pieces of plastic if necessary to keep their systems with the proper amount of air flow. GC's handle makes it so you cant block the air vents in an entertainment center, N64's bulbous nobs at the front do the same, etc. BUT PlayStation and Xbox don't have the same design features and if you don't properly place systems from walls they can easily over heat and cause issues/break.

Don't run multiple systems in the same entertainment center at once. (especially true if you have tv boxes like direct tv that are always on) if you have ever reached into/behind your entertainment stand you will notice it gets rather toasty back there. this leads into the above point. a system sucking in hot air for cooling will have an increased chance of overheating.

Dust. it may be annoying but it by far the easiest way to increase your systems longevity. it also makes it so you don't have to open up systems to remove the dust form them. I have bought and fixed at least 10 systems by just cleaning the huge amount of dust that accumulated in the system. its a fire hazard and makes they systems run like garbage.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 11:19:44 am »
Dust. it may be annoying but it by far the easiest way to increase your systems longevity. it also makes it so you don't have to open up systems to remove the dust form them. I have bought and fixed at least 10 systems by just cleaning the huge amount of dust that accumulated in the system. its a fire hazard and makes they systems run like garbage.

It doesn't even have to be that annoying- I bought a dusting glove at a dollar store. Put on glove, go touch all the systems, all done. It takes like 2 minutes, and I have 16 systems out all the time! If I ever find ones with thumbs, I'll get a pair so I can go even faster!

pizzasafari

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 11:42:29 am »
If you have a power strip plugged into an extension lead, as in one to make the reach go further with just one plug socket, is that safe?

Edit: Also if I did have power strips chained together, would it make a difference if the power strip is inside a protective plastic box? Or would it be the wall socket I'd need to worry about?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:44:18 am by pizzasafari »

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 02:26:33 pm »
If you have a power strip plugged into an extension lead, as in one to make the reach go further with just one plug socket, is that safe?

Edit: Also if I did have power strips chained together, would it make a difference if the power strip is inside a protective plastic box? Or would it be the wall socket I'd need to worry about?

I would think both are not a good idea.. Power strips and Power Surge Protectors. Should be plugged in by themselves. Now this is what a fire Marshall told me. and he also told me if I remember correctly also not to have a electrical extension cord plugged into a power strip or surge protector. But he didn't say anything about using an extension cord in a wall socket by itself

it's the wall socket that may need some worry, also plastic can melt and also start a fire
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 02:28:54 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 11:39:02 am »

DO NOT CHAIN POWER STRIPS UNDER ANY CIRUMSTANCES!

It has nothing to do with where you put it, or wall socket vs. the strip itself- it's about power overload. I'm gonna oversimplify this becuase I don't know the exact terms to describe it properly...when you chain up your power strips, each strip is trying to pull all the electricity for all its outlets at once, so it can redistribute. So, if you've got a six-outlet plugged into another 6 outlet... you're forcing the first strip to take double the power load it's designed to. Add another 6-outlet to the second strip, and you've got one running double and one running triple its designed load. Imagine installing a shelf that holds 10 pounds, and immediately putting 20 or 30 pounds on it. Think it's gonna stay on the wall? Just don't risk it, there's plenty of big strips out there!

As for power strip & extension cord... I wouldn't reccomend it, but it can be ok- IF you use a 1 outlet extension cord. If it's got 2 or 3 outlets on the end? That's not an extension cord, that's a tiny power strip!

For anyone having issues with outlet management, some reccomendations:

https://www.tripplite.com/

I've never used their stuff, but Tripp Lite always comes up when I go looking around for good strips. They have an amazing reputation, but pretty standard size strips. Good for someone who doesn't keep everything plugged in at once.

Belkin 12 outlet pivot plug surge protector]Belkin 12 outlet pivot plug surge protector

I know, I know, Belkin is not the best brand out there... but this one gets a pass because of its unqiue design- the eight plugs on the sides rotate 90 degrees. So, if you've got some old systems with big boxy plugs (and I KNOW you do!), you can pivot the plug in-between them down and fit a regular size plug underneath.

https://x1up.com/

These guys are where I went when it was time for the big guns. It's worth noting, these are NOT surge protectors, so not your best choice for rare equipment... but most of their stuff does have surge protection bulit in to 400 joules, so you're good to go for most things. These are not small strips- these are designed for power tools, so you'd better have the space for a few feet of outlets. On the plus side- this means far-spaced outlets to accomodate those big boxy plugs, and a LOT of outlets. My strip is 4 feet long with 18 outlets- they make the biggest strips I could find from someone trustworthy. How do I know I can trust them? I asked- they have excellent customer service & answered my questions about bringing such a big strip into an entertainment center. Oh, and the first thing they told me? Never chain your strips!

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 12:08:18 pm »
MORE IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Also if you live  in either an old house or apartment like me. Make sure you don't plug anything that requires an enormous voltage/wattage like a Gaming PC, microwave, an electric stove, an electric heater or an air-conditioner into a standard outlet or you could blow a fuse or continue to snap the circuit breaker in your buildings electric box. (or have too many thing running  at once period)

Some rooms in old houses and old apartment buildings, have low voltage limits on some or all the outlets in your home or apartment. if your electrical device goes over the limit of a specific outlet or outlets. Part or all of your house or apartment will lose power. until you replace the room's fuse in the utility box or reset the electric switch if you have a circuit breaker in your home 

DON'T TRY TO FIX THIS YOURSELF IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

If you moved into another home or apartment it is a good idea you get some kind of wattage chart or ask an electrician  or landlord to come onto your property and for once and for all at least check your game room for the proper voltage before setting up or settling into your new home or game studio.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 12:30:04 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

rayne315

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 05:10:32 pm »
MORE IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Also if you live  in either an old house or apartment like me. Make sure you don't plug anything that requires an enormous voltage/wattage like a Gaming PC, microwave, an electric stove, an electric heater or an air-conditioner into a standard outlet or you could blow a fuse or continue to snap the circuit breaker in your buildings electric box. (or have too many thing running  at once period)

Some rooms in old houses and old apartment buildings, have low voltage limits on some or all the outlets in your home or apartment. if your electrical device goes over the limit of a specific outlet or outlets. Part or all of your house or apartment will lose power. until you replace the room's fuse in the utility box or reset the electric switch if you have a circuit breaker in your home 

DON'T TRY TO FIX THIS YOURSELF IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

If you moved into another home or apartment it is a good idea you get some kind of wattage chart or ask an electrician  or landlord to come onto your property and for once and for all at least check your game room for the proper voltage before setting up or settling into your new home or game studio.

it is always good to know what areas go to what portions of your circuit breaker. for example my apartment is set up strangely from my perspective. I have 4 breakers and they are listed out below

1. master bedroom and both bathrooms
2. other bedroom and hallway
3. hot water heater, ac/heater, and back entryway light
4. kitchen, stove, fridge, pantry, living room, and front entry way light

If you didn't notice like I didn't when I first moved in. everything I use the most is put into 1 breaker. which means that I can have all light fixtures on, my tv and 1 system running, and the stove on. if anything else gets pilled onto that breaker at once (plug a phone into the wall outlet, turn on the microwave, charge a handheld, vacuum, ETC) it will trip and shut off my cooking and my tv.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully