Author Topic: How desirable will the 7th Generation Systems be to collectors?  (Read 5082 times)

Agozer

Re: How desirable will the 7th Generation Systems be to collectors?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 01:18:24 pm »
The winner will obviously be the Wii. I'm goign to choose thw PS3 over the X360 simply because of the number of exclusives the console has. Sure, many PS3 exclusives have been/will be remastered/re-released for the PS4, but not all of them.

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 02:46:09 pm »
Xbox and PS2 haven't peeked yet.

What are you basing this statement off of?

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »

THIS- I honestly think it's even still a little too early to make the call on PS2 and OG Xbox... these are systems not even 20 years old yet, and it seems like prime time for nostalgia is closer to the 25-30 year mark. Right now is the window for PS1 to try and knock Nintendo down a peg, but the Big N's got their nostalgia game down pat, & I'm not sure the PS1 classic on its own is gonna cut it. Plus, I feel like the PS1's window is a little off due to all the backwards compatibility- heck, you didn't lose it until the PS4 came out! It's hard to build nostalgia for games you never had to give up. As a result, I kinda think PS1 and PS2 will end up 'hitting' around the same time. Even though you could still use PS1 on PS3, it wasn't terribly well advertised & given PS2 didn't work I think more people made a clean break then.

At this point I don't believe there is a set amount of years for a console to become nostalgic and people focus on collecting for it. I feel like what happened is the NES, Genesis, and SNES really kickstarted the video game collecting craze, and as soon at it become too expensive and difficult to collect for these systems, or people found all the games they wanted for these specific platforms, they moved on to later systems that weren't as hard to collect for. I don't think there is a huge group of future collectors that are sitting on a nostalgic time bomb that will go off in another 10-years for the PS2 or original XBOX, I think most people who ever wanted to collect for them have already began to do so. Of course I'm basing this on what I've seen, but I think Gen 6 was definitely old enough to where nostalgia has already hit its stride and it was roped into the retro video game collecting craze regardless of whether people feel gen 6 is actually retro or not.

I feel like gen 7 however was still seen as modern, and therefore its day in the collecting spotlight has yet to come for the majority of people. This also begs the question if gen 7 will ever become heavily collected like previous generations for many of the reasons people have brought up. I personally believe it will, but I doubt it will ever reach the peaks that the NES, Genesis, SNES, N64 Saturn, and many of the other older consoles have reached, not even close.

PS3 I think will fare a bit worse, due to being overall less popular in the day, and- more importantly- remasters. So many of the big games on PS3 have seen PS4 collections & upgrades that it's going to hurt its chances for viability in the retro scene. Unless there's a hefty bunch of hidden gems & exclusive b-tier titles to be discovered later on.

As someone who has collected PS3 for several years now, I can tell you that the PS3 has an amazingly rich library of unique, interesting games, way more than the 360, that's for sure. I'm not saying that out of spite, just simply because I also have collected for the 360 as well and there are far more interesting, unique, hidden gem, and quarky games for it than the 360. On top of that there are a lot more exclusives for the PS3. I think the PS3 will enjoy a much more vibrant collecting scene than the 360 in a few years because of this and some of the reasons I mentioned in my original post.

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 04:23:27 pm »

Increases in prices on common games.  Increasing demand for 6th gen games locally.

tcxs

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 04:52:10 pm »
System wise, the backwards compatibility will be the saving grace.  PS3 being able to play PS1 and PS2 is huge and the crazy GameCube feature on the Wii is very nice.
Wherever, Whenever, Forever.
(September 9, 1995)

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 05:28:41 pm »
I haven't seen anyone talking about the generation of children yet (and forgive me if you did). Think about the twenty somethings now and what they grew up with.  I feel it will primarily be that age range of children that will determine how persistent the 7th gen consoles will be for collectors. 

Its hard to say what will be hot retro in five to ten years but I can stress that at this moment is when Xbox360, PS3, DS, and possibly PSP will be cheapest.   Once they're out of the bargain bins at the brick and mortar stores they go silent for a while, and then only non traditional stores will have the stock.  Thats the way its always been.  I intentionally left the Wii out of this list because, while I do see a half doz listed on LetGo at any given time, the systems keep their valve due to the ease of soft modding.

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 05:47:09 pm »
As someone who has collected PS3 for several years now, I can tell you that the PS3 has an amazingly rich library of unique, interesting games, way more than the 360, that's for sure. I'm not saying that out of spite, just simply because I also have collected for the 360 as well and there are far more interesting, unique, hidden gem, and quarky games for it than the 360. On top of that there are a lot more exclusives for the PS3. I think the PS3 will enjoy a much more vibrant collecting scene than the 360 in a few years because of this and some of the reasons I mentioned in my original post. [/font][/size]

I look forward to learning about some of these games then!

That's not saracasm- there does seem to be a shift in focus on what games get attention once a system starts to roll into the 'retro' time of its existence, that just didn't get coverage during the heyday of the machine due to being slightly underwhelming graphically, or an odd genre for the time, or just poorly advertised. These often end up being some of my favorite titles, so I'm always excited when a system is old enough to start getting 'hidden gem' type content out there.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 05:50:28 pm »
System wise, the backwards compatibility will be the saving grace.  PS3 being able to play PS1 and PS2 is huge and the crazy GameCube feature on the Wii is very nice.

That's a good point. I don't even use my Wii to play Wii games, it's for GameCube games. I play Wii games on the Wii U. Because the Wii component cables are damn cheaper than the GameCube ones. And Wii on Wii U is using HDMI.

sworddude

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 06:18:03 pm »

That's a good point. I don't even use my Wii to play Wii games, it's for GameCube games. I play Wii games on the Wii U. Because the Wii component cables are damn cheaper than the GameCube ones. And Wii on Wii U is using HDMI.

Gamecube component cables are usually used for the gameboy player for them gameboy gba and gba games not for gamecube games.

There is however a slight difference in quality as far as component cables go as the gamecube cable gives a better picture than the wii one, but the difference is pretty minor.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 08:10:38 pm »

Increases in prices on common games.  Increasing demand for 6th gen games locally.

this says otherwise:

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/playstation-2

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/xbox
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:16:54 pm by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 08:16:05 pm »
As someone who has collected PS3 for several years now, I can tell you that the PS3 has an amazingly rich library of unique, interesting games, way more than the 360, that's for sure. I'm not saying that out of spite, just simply because I also have collected for the 360 as well and there are far more interesting, unique, hidden gem, and quarky games for it than the 360. On top of that there are a lot more exclusives for the PS3. I think the PS3 will enjoy a much more vibrant collecting scene than the 360 in a few years because of this and some of the reasons I mentioned in my original post.

I look forward to learning about some of these games then!

That's not saracasm- there does seem to be a shift in focus on what games get attention once a system starts to roll into the 'retro' time of its existence, that just didn't get coverage during the heyday of the machine due to being slightly underwhelming graphically, or an odd genre for the time, or just poorly advertised. These often end up being some of my favorite titles, so I'm always excited when a system is old enough to start getting 'hidden gem' type content out there.

Yeah, there are a ton of non-AAA games on it that got little to no press when they came out and outside of niche audience they mostly went unnoticed. It's hard to say whether right now is the best time in terms of price to collect for the PS3 (that goes for the 360 and Wii as well), but at least we have Gamestop right now which through their inventory search system makes it easy to track down some of the rarer titles on the PS3. I can't say it's library is a quarky as the PS2, and definitely not the PS1, but there are still a lot of cool, interesting, fun games for it.

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 08:52:21 pm »

this says otherwise:

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/playstation-2

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/xbox
Pricecharting also says the average Atari 2600 game is 20$ and that NES hasn't peaked.

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 10:05:52 pm »

Pricecharting also says the average Atari 2600 game is 20$ and that NES hasn't peaked.

Last time I saw Atari 2600 games for sale locally they were I think $5 a piece?

also you can store PlayStation 1 save files onto any PlayStation 3's internal hardrive and never need another PS1 memory card again!, and have almost unlimited PS1 storage on the 250 and 500 gigabyte internal hard drive super slims. OR PS2 memory cards if you have an older model PlayStation 2. But you can also have PS2 memory card on a PS3 new model but you still can't play PS2 games on a PS3 super slim or a regular slim

TO UPGRADE YOUR OLD MODEL PLAYSTATION 3 I HIGHLY RECOMMEND UPGRADING IT'S INTERNAL HARD DRIVE TO THIS

2.5-inch SATA notebook hard disk with no more storage capacity then ITB and formatted to only FAT32 format

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:13:29 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 10:24:06 pm »
The multi system games in my experience usually cost more on the 360, especially collectors editions.
The most enjoyable to collect for is obviously going to be the system you like playing most.
The exclusives for each console in my opinion are going to be the ones most sought after.

sworddude

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2018, 07:05:19 am »
The multi system games in my experience usually cost more on the 360, especially collectors editions.
The most enjoyable to collect for is obviously going to be the system you like playing most.
The exclusives for each console in my opinion are going to be the ones most sought after.

In europe it's different

The multiplatform games have more value on ps3, retail stores for 2nd hand games charge more for ps3 on pretty much everything and on the 2nd market ps3 games are higher in price. Xbox 360 is cheap as chips except for some games wich are usually not on the market and even if they are not that expensive by any means not that ps3 is pricy in the first place. the cheap games on ps3 are a bit more expensive than xbox 360, Also sought after games such as nier command a higher price on ps3.

As far as the actual expensive collectors editions go as say the rare first CE of assasins greed and allot of the other more rare once in europe the ps3 versions have way more value sometimes even multiple times even though the xbox 360 version is just as rare if not more.

I think the only saving grace of the xbox 360 will be the better shoot em up department, especially on the import side, that's the only main difference since there seem to be way less interesting games on the xbox 360.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:47:44 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!