Author Topic: How desirable will the 7th Generation Systems be to collectors?  (Read 5072 times)

Re: How desirable will the 7th Generation Systems be to collectors?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2018, 09:25:25 am »

In europe it's different

I'd imagine that's because the PS3 had better market share over there. While both systems sold about 86 million consoles overall, the PS3 did best in Europe with 34 million consoles sold compared to the 360's 25, and in North America, the 360 dominated, with 49 million consoles sold to the PS3's 27.

sworddude

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 09:31:54 am »

In europe it's different

I'd imagine that's because the PS3 had better market share over there. While both systems sold about 86 million consoles overall, the PS3 did best in Europe with 34 million consoles sold compared to the 360's 25, and in North America, the 360 dominated, with 49 million consoles sold to the PS3's 27.

I guess the higher prices are decided by convenience, and the console that sold more has more people wanting  them games creating a higher demand. Pretty interesting that the xbox 360 dominated in The US I didn't know that. I do know that both consoles did pretty well in terms of sales and were pretty popular not necessarily profits though as far as especially the first models of ps3 go.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:34:56 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 01:42:01 pm »
I still don't think exclusives will solely decide what's more collectible for that generation.

GameCube has more exclusives, but PS2 is the more collected system.

It's all about that nostalgia when the kids of that generation hit a certain age.

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 02:17:12 pm »
Nostalgia does play a huge role in collecting, but I still think it comes down to what was popular and most played at that time.

My PS2 collection definitely dominates over my GameCube and Xbox. Kinda the reason I believe the exclusives for each system to be the most collectible. Unless you’re going for complete sets, the multi platform games seam less important.

sworddude

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2018, 02:40:14 pm »
I still don't think exclusives will solely decide what's more collectible for that generation.

GameCube has more exclusives, but PS2 is the more collected system.

It's all about that nostalgia when the kids of that generation hit a certain age.

First of all ps2 is the console that has more exclusives but the gamecube ones in general are heavy hitters.

i don't know why one would think ps2 is the more collected system over gamecube

yes it has more exclusives, it's cheaper and it sold way better back in the day.

While gamecube has a way smaller library there are way more serious collectors for gamecube and plenty that don't even collect for ps2 instead of the other way around

Gamecube has many full set collectors ps2 barely any, even common trash gamecube games have some value and a chance to sell while ps2 and xbox ones are trash.
The Gamecube exclusives are overhyped resulting in them being pricy while the ones on ps2 in general it doesn't even come close unless it is actually very uncommon and an excellent game at the very least.
From what i have seen ps2 is quite a niche as far as collectors go and usually only for specific kinds of games it's a way smaller group than people who collect gamecube even though the library is allot smaller.

I have no clue why one would think that more people seriously collect for ps2 when you take into consideration that gamecube prices are pretty high overhyped and there are actually quite some people out there who want a full set for gamecube  ::)

I don't see ps2 being overhyped more like the under dog in terms of collecting. Gamecube on the otherhand that's another story, your statement seems pretty illogical that the ps2 is the more serious collected console.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:43:59 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 02:46:29 pm »
^ It's more popular. That's the only logic behind. And there's no doubt PS2 is more popular than GameCube.

Maybe not in Europe where you're at. But there's no doubt about it in the U.S. PS2 was by and far the more popular console that generation and is more widely loved here. (That's not to say the GameCube is bad, by any means).

Just because something is rare, doesn't mean it's more wanted. Super Mario Bros. is the most common NES game ever, but I have yet to see an NES collector that doesn't want that game in their collection.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:48:37 pm by burningdoom »

sworddude

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 02:59:42 pm »
^ It's more popular. That's the only logic behind. And there's no doubt PS2 is more popular than GameCube.

Maybe not in Europe where you're at. But there's no doubt about it in the U.S. PS2 was by and far the more popular console that generation and is more widely loved here. (That's not to say the GameCube is bad, by any means).

Just because something is rare, doesn't mean it's more wanted. Super Mario Bros. is the most common NES game ever, but I have yet to see an NES collector that doesn't want that game in their collection.

Ps2 sold allot better than gamecube in the past also in europe, in the past it was indeed the more popular console. gamecube sales were pretty bad comparable with xbox.

But in terms of collecting at this day it's the other way around, the main stream crowd for those games that didn't age to well are gone It's a different beast at this moment.

If were talking about collecting at this day even in the US the gamecube is hyped not ps2 I'm pretty sure of that. I have not seen the ps2 being hyped by any stretch of the imagination compared to gamecube.

so you say ps2 is more hyped the more collected system than the gamecube in the US at this very day? I hardly believe it unless multiple people on this forum will say that it's really the case as far as the US goes in terms of collecting for ps2 and gamecube games go.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:07:23 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2018, 03:05:21 pm »
Hardcore collectors, sure. But I'm not talking about them, alone. We're talking about what system will be more desireable, in general.

It's not the hardcore collectors that are gonna decide that. We're already there. We're already collecting. It's that big casual crowd, that gets that nostalgic bug in them, that's really gonna decide it. When that happens, you're gonna see a bigger boom in collecting for that generation.

Atari 2600 is the most collected system of that generation, it was the most popular. NES is the most collected system of that generation...it's also the most popular of that generation. SNES is the most collected of that generation, again, the most popular. I see that trend continuing.

You ask collectors what was their favorite console of all time, and PS2 is usually a top contender. PS2 is damn common, and cheap. Still highly collected regardless.

sworddude

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2018, 03:14:46 pm »
Hardcore collectors, sure. But I'm not talking about them, alone. We're talking about what system will be more desireable, in general.

It's not the hardcore collectors that are gonna decide that. We're already there. We're already collecting. It's that big casual crowd, that gets that nostalgic bug in them, that's really gonna decide it. When that happens, you're gonna see a bigger boom in collecting for that generation.

Atari 2600 is the most collected system of that generation, it was the most popular. NES is the most collected system of that generation...it's also the most popular of that generation. SNES is the most collected of that generation, again, the most popular. I see that trend continuing.

You ask collectors what was their favorite console of all time, and PS2 is usually a top contender. PS2 is damn common, and cheap. Still highly collected regardless.

the mainstream titles of ps2 are for example GTA kingdom hearts jak & daxter ratchet and clank gran tourismo sports games etc

Also as far as those mainstream games goes, pretty much all of them have remasters or superior newer versions so there is very little reason for the casual crowd to return to the ps2 to find those games from the past.

Problem with the majority of the many ps2 exclusives is that the games are niche very niche pretty much no one played them back in the day. The ps2 has a huge library but allot of titles sold very poorly and most of the casual people stuck with sports games or the mainstream games wich I mentioned.

i'm not seeing it i highly doubt there will be a major boom for ps2 and if there will be one it won't be noticed since It's super easy to pick up a system with some sports games or gta or even some of the mascot games. The boom for ps2 has already happened for the niche excellent games but I highly doubt a casual boom would make a difference since those games were probably not played in the past by those casual people who are seeking for nostalgic moments on ps2.

Besides gamecube is from the same generation so a ps2 boom is probably already here but just not as much as with the gamecube.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:51:34 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2018, 03:53:22 pm »
Guess I wasn't being specific enough. Meant we will see what will be more highly collected in the 360/PS3 era when those kids get nostalgic.

PS2 is already the most popular of its generation.

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2018, 10:02:44 am »
Xbox and PS2 haven't peeked yet.

What are you basing this statement off of?
Increases in prices on common games.  Increasing demand for 6th gen games locally.

this says otherwise:

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/playstation-2

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/xbox
Pricecharting also says the average Atari 2600 game is 20$ and that NES hasn't peaked.

We aren't talking average game prices though, we're talking about peaking prices, which those graphs shows is plateauing or declining overall. Averages are easily effected by extreme examples in the distribution. Even if 95% of the 2600 library are worth under $5 all it takes is Happy Birthday or Air Raid II selling for 15k to skew the entire distribution.

And regarding NES, I feel like it certainly has peaked. It's been stable at $26 to $27 for over 2-years. I think the only other place it is headed is down, as is the case with most other retro consoles.

If you look at the PS2 and XBOX, out original examples they too have been plateauing for long periods of time, indicating their peak interest most likely.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2018, 07:26:18 pm »
For me the most collectable 7th gen system is
1.xbox360
2.Wii
3.ps3
In this order. Xbox was amazing so many exclusive games the Wii had a lot of exclusive games also and the ps3 had some great exclusive games but not as many imo.and most games ran better on xbox360 than on ps3 because games were easier to develop on the 360 so alot of games were tailor made to run on 360.That being said I liked all three systems and collect for all of them.

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2018, 12:28:50 am »
I think it will be valuable to collectors because this was the last generation where we actually got manuals and the digital thing really didn't take off quite yet. I don't know if a lot of the games will be going for crazy money anytime soon, but there will be collectors for those systems mentioned in the OP.