Author Topic: Do You Rush Through A Video Game More Or Enjoy The Ride More  (Read 1748 times)

Do You Rush Through A Video Game More Or Enjoy The Ride More
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:49:06 pm »
I don't like to rush through a video game anymore just to beat it, which one reason why I didn't bother to complete 52 games Challenge this year. I just don't like to feel pressured to complete a video game when there is other things I like to do. To answer the question I have rushed through video games before.

If you completed the 2018 "52 Game Challenge" I am curious to know 3 things. Do you remember the at least some levels/moments games you played? Did you enjoy them?  Would you ever go back to beat any of those games again?

MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Do You Rush Through A Video Game More Or Enjoy The Ride More
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:07:38 pm »
Having done the challenge the past couple years, I do remember a lot of what I play.  Some are more memorable than others.  I'm also not "rushing" through games most of the time, as I'm just someone that binges things.  If I really like a game, I'm gonna dump a lot of hours into it over a few days.  I'm not someone that can just play for an hour (Unless it's multiplayer) and then I'm done.  I play tons of games a year, but that's just because I'm an introvert who's favorite form of entertainment is gaming and have the free time for it.

I only go back to a game if it was something I absolutely loved or if it offers stuff that maybe I passed on, like DLC that came out later or maybe the game was so big, I just didn't experience it.  I've replayed Fallout game, the Metro series, Brutal Legend, and others before.  I don't usually replay games till a year or two later unless it's like Fallout where I usually reinstall it every year to putter around with mods.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:21:56 pm by kamikazekeeg »

wolfen

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 10:14:44 pm »
I'm definitely a slow and steady kind of player. I like to soak up everything I possibly can from every game I play, which usually leads to me playing less games, but they are more worthwhile to me than playing 100 little games of middling interest to me.

telly

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 10:35:05 pm »
I never beat the 52 game challenge but I don't do it to beat as many games as possible  I just use it to keep track of the game's I've played and my thoughts at the time.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 08:58:11 am »
I start each game with a tortoise mentality of slow and steady, but there are some games that I just want to be over. So, I'll end up rushing through those and be done with 'em.

shfan

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 09:13:56 am »
I don't 'rush', but I don't necessarily go slowly either, often times there's a particular set of facets within the game I'll focus on and others that'll get left alone - either for a replay (if it turns out the game is worth replaying) or just to tailor a game's options to my tastes.

The 52 challenge isn't just helping me get games played in terms of getting them beat, it's helping me get through a collection that's been mostly comprised of unplayed games and also educating me on what my deal-breakers are so I can get rid of games which don't appeal, refrain from buying that kind of game in future and also recognize future games that are not my type earlier in play.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 10:07:52 am »
I've never done the 52 challenge & can't imagine I ever would. I tried for most of this year to beat just 2 games a month, and didn't like what it was doing to my playstyle- ignoring longer or tougher games in favor of short, easy experiences, choosing games to play based on 'beat-ability' over actual interest in the moment... it kinda sucked. I dropped that plan for the last quarter of the year- between PAX, Halloween, and holiday work hours, any serious free-time plans get torpedoed.

So no, I didn't rush through any games- but I largely avoided games that would require it.

While I still think I'll keep up play goals next year, if only to make sure I'm actually using the games I'm collecting, I think I'll change tactics from a pure numbers system. You know, like 'I want to beat RPGs neat year', or 'I want to play NES games', or something.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 01:11:31 pm »
I don't 'rush', but I don't necessarily go slowly either, often times there's a particular set of facets within the game I'll focus on and others that'll get left alone - either for a replay (if it turns out the game is worth replaying) or just to tailor a game's options to my tastes.

The 52 challenge isn't just helping me get games played in terms of getting them beat, it's helping me get through a collection that's been mostly comprised of unplayed games and also educating me on what my deal-breakers are so I can get rid of games which don't appeal, refrain from buying that kind of game in future and also recognize future games that are not my type earlier in play.
All this and then some.

I’m at around 35 Games so far this year, but a goodly number were sub-5 hours.  I also just generally like logging things and having goals.  Last year I hit 20-something but that was because I played a lot huge open world games that I dropped dozens of hours into.

So, I’d say that I play with a purpose, but I don’t necessarily “rush”

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 01:41:06 pm »
I use to rush games going for achievements. I never really enjoyed them that way though. The PC was always on in the background for a collectible map etc, and the story usually got ruined.

If I’m playing a game now and I’m really not enjoying it, it’s time for a new game. I’m not gonna power through crap anymore. There’s plenty of other games I could play. They’ll still be part of the collection and maybe I’ll give em a go at a later date.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 04:52:25 pm »
It really depends. If I am not enjoying a game that much, but just enough to want to beat it, I will often just get through it so I can be done with it. On the other hand if I really enjoy a game I am more likely to do things like side questions, optional content, and even try and be a completionist with the game. Unfortunately I find myself in the former situation more.

lordscott

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 11:44:56 am »
Depending on what games you're asking me about & depending on what games genres you're asking me about. Depending on if there is any unlockables to unlock. Depending on if it's a letter grade such as any resident evil games with counting to your letter grades as 1 of many examples. & most of all if I choose to I might try a challenges some of us do & before you guys ask me yes I'm including speed runs if I choose to & if I'm in the mood to & if I'm in the mood to try something different & if I'm in the mood to try it & see if I can do it. But however I generally just love gaming so no I don't rush through the games I play I just love & enjoy gaming :).