Author Topic: Anyone with good PC knowledge for building a gaming PC?  (Read 3087 times)

tripredacus

Re: Anyone with good PC knowledge for building a gaming PC?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 09:28:50 am »
I recommend only having the SSD connected when you install Windows. After it is done, shut the system down and then connect your other drives. Windows Setup has at times written the boot information to a different disk than the one you have chosen to install the OS onto. This might not seem like a big deal at first, but down the line if you need to replace/upgrade the disk, your OS may not boot. Also, there are certain situations which would cause the "wrong" disk to be enumerated first by WinPE, meaning you could install your OS to the wrong disk by accident. Only having the one connected at install solves both of these potential problems.

Retail box motherboards should come with 1-2 SATA cables for you to connect your disks. I can't speak for everything, but both Asus and Super Micro retail boards come with 2 cables.

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 04:23:09 pm »
I recommend only having the SSD connected when you install Windows. After it is done, shut the system down and then connect your other drives. Windows Setup has at times written the boot information to a different disk than the one you have chosen to install the OS onto. This might not seem like a big deal at first, but down the line if you need to replace/upgrade the disk, your OS may not boot. Also, there are certain situations which would cause the "wrong" disk to be enumerated first by WinPE, meaning you could install your OS to the wrong disk by accident. Only having the one connected at install solves both of these potential problems.

Retail box motherboards should come with 1-2 SATA cables for you to connect your disks. I can't speak for everything, but both Asus and Super Micro retail boards come with 2 cables.

Gotcha, thanks for the info.

ffxik

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 10:56:16 pm »
Your mobo has support for NVMe M.2 3.0 for on board SSD.  You could install your OS to that.  Though that will cost well over $100.00
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:05:41 pm by ffxik »

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 11:45:35 pm »
Your mobo has support for NVMe M.2 3.0 for on board SSD.  You could install your OS to that.  Though that will cost well over $100.00

Appreciate the input on that, though I've gone and bought everything already, but there's always plenty of room for upgrades down the road.

Got everything installed and it's a slick machine for sure.  A big test was Star Wars Battlefront 2, which had unplayable story for me and ran kinda rough on lower settings for the multiplayer (I think this came has some poor optimization in general)  Now I can play the campaign no problem, and multiplayer is buttery smooth at max settings.  I'd say that is a very successful test and I'm prepared for some other big games coming.

Thanks to everyone that helped out with advice and input.