Author Topic: REVIVE a Dead Video Game Series / Franchise  (Read 6066 times)

mark1982

REVIVE a Dead Video Game Series / Franchise
« on: October 22, 2018, 02:00:27 pm »

-------------------------------------------

Ok VGCollect, If you could Revive a game series / franchise, what would it be?

Assumptions:

- Only one new title is made. It is released on multiple platforms.
- The original character designer / scenario writer returns.
- It plays similarly to another game in the series, but has updated graphics.
- It can be a sequel, prequel or reboot.
- Can be from any era of gaming.

You get ONE choice here. What is your pick?

There are so many choices to choose from. When I think about it, it's kinda sad how many great franchises are dead... ActRaiser.. Suikoden.. Dino Crisis.. and the recently departed Dead Space... ( Thanks EA :'( )

If I had to choose, it would be a game franchise that I truly loved, and that would be:

----------------------------

I first got to know the story of Kain and Nosgoth back in 1996 with Blood Omen. To tell you the truth I didn't know much about the game, kinda just went in blind, and oh boy, what a game it was.

Let me set the scene --- Kain is telling the story through dramatic segments of voice acting as you progress further. He describes in detail this strange transition he is feeling from a mere mortal into vampire, describing his thirst for bloodlust, not knowing what he has truly become. You, the player and Kain embark on a journey of vengeance, deceit and discovering what it means to be the Prince of Darkness...

For me, I would like the first Blood Omen game to be rebooted - The telling of Kain on how he was slain, when he was resurrected, his journey of deceit, and finally his rejection of mankind to start his dark empire. The cast of supporting characters are fantastic with a great amount of backstory. For those that played the game know how influential Vorador was to the entire series, always instilling thoughts and paving the way for vampires throughout history.

Kain's description of Vorador pretty much sums it up on what type of an influential character he is:

"In the bowels of that black forest, I found something worse than Hell. A vision of what I was becoming."
    ―Kain

---------------------------

So with that said, what game series / franchises would you like to see Revived?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:36:39 pm by mark1982 »
  l    l 

stealthrush

Re: REVIVE a Dead Video Game Series / Franchise
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 04:34:18 pm »
Valis: The Fantasm Soldier

I could see this coming back in a big way with upgraded graphics, new additions & gameplay features.
Have a 2.D platform view, or a DragonBall FighterZ style, or a full 3D environment would be awesome.

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:08:20 pm »
Advance wars, prefarably the original cast and not the ones of the final instalment that kinda seemed to have killed the franchise aka days of ruin.

It's not a bad game by any means it has some better points in some aspects in terms of balance but I would personally not consider it an advance wars game. It's a more serious dark game not the colourfull and goofy turn based strategy game that I remember

The funny animations,the goofy and colourfull cast of characters and the over the top things that could have been done on the battlefield with the more powerfull co's were the main reasons why advance wars was so much fun in the first plays, days of ruin made all that fun stuff dissapear to make it a more generic game with way less likable characters a pretty dark story with dark serious visuals and a more generic full on metal gothic soundtrack. Not the mention the art work fitting for a dark theme but most definitly not advance wars.

In terms of style it absolutely murdered the franchise. The gameplay was the only good point but since the cast is pretty mediocre in comparison and the goofy visuals etc have all but vanished It's kinda easy to imagine that old fans did not really appreciate the game. Even if some of the new mechanics are interesting the visuals cast and music are a pretty big deal. Gameplay is not the most important thing if all the other aspects have gone down by allot not to mention that the gameplay is only arguably better.

Days of ruin absolutely killed the advance wars series a pretty tragic end in my opinion :'(

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 06:32:40 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 09:32:23 pm »

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 10:15:29 pm »
Id say Legend Of Dragoon, Truxton, Forgotten Worlds, or Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

mark1982

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 02:46:39 am »
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/top10/3044-the-top-10-rpg-franchises-that-deserve-continuation

All of these.

Some great picks in there, would definitely like to see the Suikoden and Chrono Series.

Haven't been to GameFAQs in ages... the main page is covered with ads  :o
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:50:34 am by mark1982 »
  l    l 

Veilor

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 06:21:58 am »
I'd pick some of my all time favorite PS1 games that I want to return. And those are Tomba/Tombi, Klonoa & Future Cop L.A.P.D. These games are great and especially the multiplayer in Future Cop is fun, spent many hours with my stepbrother playing that.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 07:35:46 am »

I 2nd bikingjahuty on the MechWarrior Franchise. I have to agree it should look good on a modern system. The last MechWarrior they made was "MechWarrior Online" but I don't seem interested in online video games any more due to possible threats to my devices. MechWarrior 4 series was the best in my opinion, The graphics were stunning even for someone without a video card back then, laser guns and rockets never looked better on MechWarrior 4 series. Not to be confused with the photo that's not MechWarrior 4 but MechWarrior 2 in which was also a good series. In my opinion
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:39:54 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 08:10:36 am »
Wild ARMS and Timesplitters.

I normally include Fear Effect in these, but it's been revived.  Timesplitters might very well be revived in the not too distant future.

telly

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 09:38:14 am »
I would love to see Battle Network come back  8)

Definitely agree on Suikoden as well
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 09:49:30 am »
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/top10/3044-the-top-10-rpg-franchises-that-deserve-continuation

All of these.

Some great picks in there, would definitely like to see the Suikoden and Chrono Series.

Haven't been to GameFAQs in ages... the main page is covered with ads  :o

You're not missing much. I just go there because I'm a glutton for punishment. XD

azure

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 01:17:37 pm »
Panzer Dragoon was the first thing to come to my mind.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 11:04:12 pm »
My first thought was Klonoa- but really, I don't necessarily need any sort of revival, a simple port of Denetsu no Star Medal would be fine.

I'm also inclined to say Katamari Damacy, but that's already coming. Hmm...

I know- Lunar! I'd love a new Lunar game, be a completely new adventure or yet another re-telling of Sliver Star (that'd make what, 6, 7 versions?) Honestly though, if they do a remake I'd kinda like to see Eternal Blue get another go.

pizzasafari

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 12:40:00 am »
Final Fantasy because IT IS DEAD

My pick would be Jet Set Radio. Breathe some vibrancy back into gaming. Put Smilebit back together and watch some magic happen. Imagine an open world Jet Set Radio game with modern technology? Jesus, man.

My runner-up pick would be Silent Hill. Put Team Silent back together, lock them in a cupboard for a few years and see what they bring out with them. We need a return to good third person survival horror. But of course that would never happen because Konami are an aneurysm.

I just wanna also throw in an honourable mention to Panzer Dragoon since someone mentioned it, that series had so much potential. It's a shame it died off so soon. Beautiful games and such an interesting world.

Edit: Oh man, another honourable mention to Dark Cloud/Chronicle. There's more than enough room in the world for a third game.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 12:46:13 am by pizzasafari »