Author Topic: CD's, Vinyl (etc) Music Collectors Unite  (Read 19215 times)

Re: CD's, Vinyl (etc) Music Collectors Unite
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2019, 02:15:23 pm »
"Europe" is my number two recommended heavy/light metal band of the 1980's that is vary similar to my favorite
 1980's metal band of all time called "Dokken"

here are some of their greatest albums by "Europe" the hair metal band

great 1980's metal band by the name of Europe

"4 fantastic albums from Europe the metal band"

1: Wings Of Tommorrow
2: Prisoners In Paradise
3: Out Of This World
4: The Final Countdown
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 02:19:14 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

azure

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2019, 02:30:10 pm »

Figured this was the best place to post this. Was lucky enough to have a friend in Japan pick up both these bad boys for me from TGS 2019.

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2019, 02:41:17 pm »

Figured this was the best place to post this. Was lucky enough to have a friend in Japan pick up both these bad boys for me from TGS 2019.

Those are awsome, I personally don't have any soundtracks of my own but this is cool thanks for sharing this @azure   :)

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2020, 08:15:50 pm »
I'll mention another hair/light metal group since most people on this forum like to listen to metal.

Has anyone heard of the classic German Hard Rock band called Scorpions? they made a lot of great music but my favorite album of them so far is called

Savage Amusement

and that band name again is "Scorpions"

one of their more popular albums is called "Black Out" in (1980) but I prefer the Scorpions Gold Album because it has all their major hits. this band called Scorpions has actually been around since (1965) about 2 years longer then the even more famous group called "Led Zeppelin.

Savage Amusement is a must own album from (1988) I highly recommend getting both the Scorpions Gold Album as well as Savage Amusement.

NO APPS NEEDED

Warmsignal

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2020, 08:38:28 pm »
Gotta recommend the only album I've been listening to for the past two weeks - "Widows Weeds", the latest album by the band Silversun Pickups. Maybe not the best they've ever done, but I really enjoy it. For fans of alternative/pop rock/shoegaze. Good stuff.

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2020, 12:44:29 am »
Gotta recommend the only album I've been listening to for the past two weeks - "Widows Weeds", the latest album by the band Silversun Pickups. Maybe not the best they've ever done, but I really enjoy it. For fans of alternative/pop rock/shoegaze. Good stuff.

I never heard of this band till now, It sound like one of the bands I would like, I too like modern alternative, there is  a lot of great obscure music out there today both classic and modern

how did you find out about them? did you hear them on satellite radio or did someone else tell you about them

I used to listen to AOL radio and that is how I learned a big bunch of great bands and studio artist names, also if you have a newer car or truck or SUV, even the main FM radio stations now have the song and band name and the albums right on the central dashboard display monitor.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:50:03 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

Warmsignal

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 07:04:05 pm »

I never heard of this band till now, It sound like one of the bands I would like, I too like modern alternative, there is  a lot of great obscure music out there today both classic and modern

how did you find out about them? did you hear them on satellite radio or did someone else tell you about them

I used to listen to AOL radio and that is how I learned a big bunch of great bands and studio artist names, also if you have a newer car or truck or SUV, even the main FM radio stations now have the song and band name and the albums right on the central dashboard display monitor.

I don't quite remember. It may have been a friend. I first heard of them around the late 2000s, when the songs "Lazy Eye" "Well Thought Out Twinkles" were still making a big splash in the indie rock scene

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2022, 08:05:45 pm »
How long to you all think CD's will last?

I mean people still buy them and it don't really look like Digital is doing a good job of replacing them, I vaguely heard someone mention that USB drives with songs on them lasted for 2 seconds back in the day, but I never seen one I collect CD's and still pop them into my stereo how about you guys, they say Vinyl is better quality but that is not the case in most modern Vinyl :-\

NO APPS NEEDED

tripredacus

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2022, 09:42:30 am »
What is meant by quality?

telly

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2022, 09:58:04 am »
As someone who collects a bit of both vinyl and CDs I feel that listening to and buying Vinyl is kind of a weird hobby. It's such an finicky way to listen to music and properly caring for vinyl takes a lot of extra effort in terms of handling, cleaning, and storing than say CDs or certainly digital. Most CDs nowadays are produced with a high enough fidelity that they essentially match vinyl in terms of audio quality. Or close enough that the differences are negligible. I have a couple albums on both formats and I can't hear a difference. Whereas I would argue vinyl quality is a lot more shoddy, either the materials to make the record are poor, or just from extended use, scratches, warping, etc. It's just more common. Vinyl also has some limitations with regards to high frequency sounds which require steeper grooves in the vinyl and can degrade after lots of plays.

But there is something about putting on a record or CD that is more involved and that makes it more special to me. Not to mention the different artworks, liner notes and other goodies that can make vinyl a more special experience. In fact, we have some vinyl record holders on our walls and we rotate about 8 different records on occasion that has art that we like, color matching, theme matching, and that's fun too :)
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2022, 02:53:37 pm »

Sound in general has a more wide array of sound in uncompressed audio rather than MP3 format, really if you compare an MP3 file to a ALAC file Or just listen to the naked CD with a laser disc drive there is a difference in how deep the bass goes and how tinty it sounds with compression, low or no compression means you get the full bass sound high compression audio can mean a shorter drum beat or symbol taps

I am an audio freak in who has used MP3 MP4 WMA ALAC and ALAC is the best of the formats I've tried in fact my radio station is in AAC format even though my files are displaying in MP4 format for some strange reason today :-\

NO APPS NEEDED

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2022, 08:01:30 pm »

In a nutshell the less compression an audio file has the better the quality as it.

Think the visuals of a game at 480p is your typical mp3 while a FLAC file is more equivalent to 2K visuals

Techquickie did a good video explaining different formats
https://youtu.be/WIIKXOrt3bk

But also just listening to a FLAC file isn't going to make a difference if you're rockin the Dirty Buds from dollar tree

I'd suggest checking out the channel Dankpods especially his buying guides for headphones and audio devices as he talks about audio in a way that even a Dingus like me can Understand.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2022, 04:12:03 pm »
My 19 year old son recently discovered Cassette and he’s fascinated by them.

He’s started getting high end tape decks and walkmans and repairing them. And now he makes mix tapes.

Send help.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2022, 05:25:38 pm »

Just to build on what others have said…

If we’re talking about CD vs vinyl, it’s a matter of opinion which sounds better. I personally think CDs have the best sound quality, but a big reason vinyl has made a comeback is because many think it has a better sound.

Now, if we’re talking compression formats, it’s basically a matter of “lossless” vs “lossy”.
Lossless means there is no audio data lost from the original recording, so no reduction in sound quality. A WAV file is the raw original audio and is completely uncompressed. Lossless compression algorithms include FLAC and ALAC, and slightly reduce file size without affecting sound quality.

Lossy compression, like MP3 or M4A, cuts out many of the wavelengths inaudible to human ears to greatly reduce the file size, but also cuts out some that are audible, which affects sound quality. Many people can’t tell the difference, but nitpicky audio snobs like myself can :)

Anywho…
I’ve mentioned on this site before that I collect pro wrestling entrance music. I do my own curating, editing, mixing, and mastering. I try to get everything in the best quality possible and make the music arena-accurate (I’d estimate 50% of the music WWE has officially released does NOT match the actual arena-used music, whether it’s a different mix, different edit, has extra sound effects, etc).
If there’s any WWE music anyone is looking for, I can probably get it for you  ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:27:23 pm by undertakerprime »

soera

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2022, 07:55:38 pm »
I personally think CDs have the best sound quality. I agree completely. My whole family gives me crap cause I picked up a 10 disk changer that I want to add to my Fiat cause "you can just listen to digital stuff from YouTube or whatever."

If there’s any WWE music anyone is looking for, I can probably get it for you   Aww man, this is freaking awesome. Are they available on Spotify? I use that when I gym and nothing would be cooler than Goldberg or DX entrance music when you are pushing weights.