Author Topic: Why I’ve Transitioned to Arcades and Pinballs  (Read 2590 times)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Re: Why I’ve Transitioned to Arcades and Pinballs
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 01:02:41 pm »
I would love a pinball table, but i dont have the space.....

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 01:14:27 pm »
Theatre of Magic is a great pin. You made an excellent choice.
Thanks. Yeah, it was the one I played the most at my local mall arcade. It’s a lot of fun and easy to pick up, but hard to master. I was very fortunate that the mall arcade usually kept 4-5 pins available, among them some of the most popular and highly-rated ones: ToM, Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Attack From Mars, Junkyard, Champion Pub...

I bought all of those on my PS3 via Pinball Arcade. Although it’s great that Farsight recreated these tables so meticulously, video pinball is just not the same as the real thing.

I completely understand. TPA tried to scratch the itch for me but in the end I just wanted an Attack From Mars table even more. :)
What’s a real shame is that after all the work Farsight put in, Bally/Williams refused to renew the license agreement. Once I finally upgrade to a current-gen console, I won’t be able to re-buy those tables.

Also, I really wanted Farsight to get around to making Party Animal available (the only one of the Bally “Party” pins to not get the Pinball Arcade treatment). Not because it’s the greatest table, but just because of the nostalgia feels; it was among the first pins I remember really getting into, along with Cyclone.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 12:17:13 am »
Theatre of Magic is a great pin. You made an excellent choice.
Thanks. Yeah, it was the one I played the most at my local mall arcade. It’s a lot of fun and easy to pick up, but hard to master. I was very fortunate that the mall arcade usually kept 4-5 pins available, among them some of the most popular and highly-rated ones: ToM, Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Attack From Mars, Junkyard, Champion Pub...

I bought all of those on my PS3 via Pinball Arcade. Although it’s great that Farsight recreated these tables so meticulously, video pinball is just not the same as the real thing.

I completely understand. TPA tried to scratch the itch for me but in the end I just wanted an Attack From Mars table even more. :)
What’s a real shame is that after all the work Farsight put in, Bally/Williams refused to renew the license agreement. Once I finally upgrade to a current-gen console, I won’t be able to re-buy those tables.

Also, I really wanted Farsight to get around to making Party Animal available (the only one of the Bally “Party” pins to not get the Pinball Arcade treatment). Not because it’s the greatest table, but just because of the nostalgia feels; it was among the first pins I remember really getting into, along with Cyclone.

Zen is now making way better versions of these tables with more modes and features.

Midevil Madness is already out and Attack from Mars was just hinted at on twitter.

tripredacus

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 11:00:46 am »
JFYI: Zen versions are censored in some artwork, DMD animations and audio vs TPA versions.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 12:13:52 am »
JFYI: Zen versions are censored in some artwork, DMD animations and audio vs TPA versions.

Yeah, small price to pay though for all the extra features they are packing in. ZEN Studios does an amazing job with these tables.

Honestly the PS3 version was a complete waste of my money. The lag made it completely unplayable for me.

I have the first and second season on disc for the PS4.

No digital versions have provided the color DMDs which is a shame.

tripredacus

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 10:10:20 am »
Color DMD exists in a licensing gray area, similar to how many other after market mods do, even including repro parts. It is best that Zen leave that stuff alone and to not bring attention to it. Now, it would be a different story if they would opt to bring official recreations that used a color DMD, such as the Attack From Mars remake.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 01:17:20 am »
Color DMD exists in a licensing gray area, similar to how many other after market mods do, even including repro parts. It is best that Zen leave that stuff alone and to not bring attention to it. Now, it would be a different story if they would opt to bring official recreations that used a color DMD, such as the Attack From Mars remake.

That’s what I’m referring to. Midevil Madness Remake would also be a candidate.